Ohio LB Thomas Rush Commits to the Gophers

DanielHouse

Reaction score
Marysville, OH linebacker Thomas Rush has committed to the Gophers after receiving an offer last night. He chose Minnesota over offers from Bowling Green, Brown, Dartmouth, and Western Illinois. He originally committed to Bowling Green, but decommited today.

The Gophers currently have 18 commits in the class of 2018, four of which are from Ohio. Rush joins Mariano Sori-Marin in the 2018 linebacker corps. Minnesota's recruiting class currently ranks 5th in the Big Ten and 19th nationally.

Rush was a running back at Marysville, notching 1,400 yards and 12 touchdowns last year. He is quick and moves well in space with nice hip fluidity, patience, and vision. At 6-foot-3, 209 pounds, he will have enough size and athleticism to play linebacker at the next level. On defense, he played free safety, but his tape shows complete running back highlights. He looks like he will be an effective downhill run stopper with the ability to move well sideline-to-sidleine as a tackler. It's also impressive to note Rush received offers from two competitive academic institutions (Dartmouth and Brown) that require above average academic performance. His intelligence will be a great asset, which fits the mold of players head coach P.J. Fleck is looking for in the new culture. He has performed very well on the camp scene this summer and caught the eye of Minnesota coaches at the Pro Football Hall of Fame satellite camp last night.

Here are his junior year highlights: http://www.hudl.com/profile/1464973/thomas-rush

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Dartmouth....Brown.....nice offer list!

Smarts is always good in football

Looks like 247 gave him a 87 rating and 31st ranked OLB. 84 composite so far. Feel any better?

That's quite the ranking debut. Did he explode at a recent camp? Or just not on the radar as a LB until recently?

He has been popular at camps this summer. You can see he is a pure athlete and that's really enticing for coaches who are looking to develop players.

That's quite the ranking debut. Did he explode at a recent camp? Or just not on the radar as a LB until recently?

On the lighter side, if he was staying at RB, what better name for a RB than "Rush." All kinds of "Rushing leader" puns possible.

But, as a LB, he can also "Rush" the QB, so there's that.

Not that I'm calling Beth Mowen a ******, she's perfectly fine individual and I don't mind her play-by-play, but she would eat that one up.

That's the first one that popped into my head. He will still be able to rush the passer so all is not lost.

On the lighter side, if he was staying at RB, what better name for a RB than "Rush." All kinds of "Rushing leader" puns possible.

But, as a LB, he can also "Rush" the QB, so there's that.

"Linebacker Thomas RUSH has been all over the field RUSHing the QB and stuffing their RUSHing attack."

Sounds like he was a top performer at a Nike camp in Cleveland, if i remember correctly.

Very nice. Top 500 guy on 247 out of left is a nice surprise. Just a quick comparison of a similar player (still early, only one service, and ridiculous in general, I know): Kamal Martin was in the 900s on 247. Won't sneeze at that.

Only a few gear heads will get this, but I'm hoping his middle name starts with an "H".

Rush was rated today on 247, and he was given an 87 three-star, which makes him one of the highest rated Gopher commits in this class per 247.

Not a gearhead, but are you referring to THRush? As in mufflers?

As in fungal infections. Maybe that's a gearhead thing.

I don't know man, another gotta trust the coaches. Looks the part; looks like an athletic freak but didn't seem to relish contact in those RB highlights. He also played some safety? Any highlights on that?

I see what they see in the 3 committed (I'm counting Aune as a LB) but it would be nice to get one "true" LB in this class as well especially more of an inside guy because I think all 3 project more as outside LB's. We also didn't get an ILB last class either.

Always nice to sneak a top 500 recruit past much more nearby OSU, MI, MSU, PSU, Pitt, IN, ND, PU, WVU, Cincinnati, KY, NW, IL.

Always nice to sneak a top 500 recruit past much more nearby OSU, MI, MSU, PSU, Pitt, IN, ND, PU, WVU, Cincinnati, KY, NW, IL.

If he gets the right offer, tOSU and PSU in particular, there is a good chance he'll flip. I'll reserve my excitement until he actually signs the letter.

Top Bottom