Gopher 2017-18 thoughts and possible personal preview

bball_craz_31

Reaction score
Hopefully putting this out there doesn’t change things but thinking no transfers will happen, I’m interested in what kind of lineup or starting five we would like to see out of the gophers next year. Here is my thoughts on the matter. Would love to hear thoughts and arguments for other ways or changes they would like to hear.

Gopher 2017-18 Roster:

-Kenisha Bell
-Kehinde Bello
-Taiye Bello
-Jasmine Brunson
-Jessie Edwards
-Bryanna Fernstrom
-Gadvia Hubbard
-Palma Kaposi
-Annalese Lamke
-Carlie Wagner
-Destiny Pitts
-Irene Garrido
-Paloma Gonzalez

Personally I feel we have a pretty deep team here. While we don’t know the schedule as of yet, I think if somehow, someway could get a coaching staff to coach up this team then could do some impressive things.
My preferred starting five would be

PG: Bell
SG: Hubbard
SF: Wagner
PF: T.Bello
C: Fernstrom

Personally as I have always wondered, I don’t know why Marlene won’t play T.Bello at the PF position with a big center. She has the athleticism and jumping ability to rebound from that position. Next, I was not a fan of the backcourt being Bell and Brunson. I feel Brunson should be coming off the bench backing up Bell. With Brunson’s limited outside shot, I feel she is limited at PG let alone being a SG position. Frankly if the Spanish PG is as good as we have seen some people say, I say she should jump over Brunson in the lineup and back up Bell. Also I feel the fire power we get from Hubbard should be in the starting five. Too many games we were down 10+ in the first five minutes and played catch up the rest of the game. I want to see this team be the team to bury a team early and not always playing catch up. If Marlene is still looking for small lineups, maybe play Wagner or Pitts at the PF position and run with 4 guards and Fernstrom at the C position. Speaking of, unless she is injured I see absolutely no reason not to play Fernstrom as a starter. She is the most well rounded center we have on the roster (I count T.Bello as a PF), and has a Big Ten body along with the 3-point shot. That needs to be starting.
Off the bench I would like to see it be as such:

6: Pitts (replacing anyone from Hubbard, Wagner or T.Bello at this time)
7: Either Brunson/Gonzalez (which ever one is better)
8: Jessie Edwards
(Would like 7/8 coming in at same time)

Outside of those 8, I feel Lamke, Garrido, Kaposi,which ever PG between brunson and Gonzalez is not the #6 and K.Bello should only get in during garbage minutes unless they really take a massive jump in talent and ability. I want to see the team have consistency in starting five and the rotation like we didn’t see all of last year. I feel this team does have potential to be a strong team in the conference. Especially with all the loses other Big Ten teams dealt with, we should be a top 4 team if we play up to our talent and find a defense somewhere.

Would love to hear what everyone else thinks

Good to be talking Gopher women's hoops again. I agree with a lot of your points, although I lean slightly toward Edwards over Fernstrom for the starting position. I agree with your thought that Bello should not be playing post, as she often did at the end of last year. Brunson and Bell should not play together much, as their skill sets are similar. The most important point you made was regarding the importance of establishing a set lineup. I won't mind in Stollings tinkers with the rotation a bit during the non-conference schedule. That's to be expected. But by the time conference play begins, I would hope that she has a set rotation, instead of the musical chairs we saw most of last year. Also, I wouldn't mind seeing Wagner play fewer minutes this year. Not a lot fewer, but I thought that she wore down a bit last year with all of the minutes she played. I too am somewhat optimistic about this team. No, I don't think they'll win the BIG, but it's not absurd to think they could contend for an NCAA berth, especially with so many other teams losing transfers. We should find out for sure if this coaching staff can coach these players up. In my opinion, it's an important year for Stollings.

Can't disagree with your analysis. The real question for me is, can the latest in the revolving door of assistant coaches actually get these kids to play defense with some level of intensity in a system that is suitable for stopping Big Ten offenses? If not, it will be another disappointing season and Marlene may be looking for work.

Yes, I agree that a Wagner, Bell, Hubbard, T. Bello and Fernstrom starting five is most likely; but if neither Fernstrom or Edwards can have some dominating games then I'd expect T. Bello to play the five and Pitts to make it a four guard lineup. (In the B1G, T. Bello put up similar numbers to Fernstrom and Edwards in fewer minutes).

I'm concerned about the offense (okay, also defense but that's a whole 'nother discussion). Last year we slipped from being an running, three point shooting, move the ball offense to a slow it down half court confusion. There was a dearth of three point shooting with a part of the problem being Hubbard only playing 9 B1G games.

In Stollings first season the team was 125-363 (.344) from three, in her second the Gophers were 169-437 (.387) and then last year they slipped to 90-297 (.303). Yes, last season's B1G schedule returned to 16 games; but the percentage stunk. Wagner has gone from .344 her freshman year, .375 her sophomore year to .279 last season (Hubbard meanwhile hit at an .367 clip and Tinjum hit at .303).

In Stolling's first year in B1G games, Minnesota averaged 75.3 points and gave up 75.8; in season two it was 87.2 and 86.1 and last season it was 70.4 and 75.1. Running a inside game without a dominate inside player failed miserably both as a strategy and as entertainment.

Needless to say, Marlene doesn't necessarily like to play 2 big girls at the same even though most of US believe that she should. I was encourage somewhat that she started playing Kaposi more at the end of the season. The team does look to be deeper with the addition of Gonzalez, Pitts and Garrison. That being said, I am in favor of Fernstrom, Bello, Wagner, Hubbard and Bell in the 1st 5 and Edwards, Kaposi, Pitts, Brunson and Gonzalez in the 2nd 5 with Garrison there to replace one of those 5 if they falter.

I think this is just a move towards the future. If you look at Roster, Edwards is a senior is year and according to last year's roster Fernstrom was a junior last year making her a senior this year. Technically with the transfer she could be a redshirt junior this year however we saw Starr not play out all eligibility years. If Fernstrom is a senior, gophers lose Edwards, Fernstrom and Wagner. Besides being terrified what the offense will look like without Wagner, could you imagine a post lineup of just Lamke, Garrido (stretch 4), Kapsosi (Small build PF), and the Bello sisters? yikes.....

I am getting worried we have heard hardly anything 2018 recruits..

Perhaps confidence in Fernstrom is not so high? MN in the mix for another sturdy

Wouldn't Cane be a recruit for this coming season? I would be delighted if Stollings could actually recruit a post player.

Status of Fernstrom

I think this is just a move towards the future. If you look at Roster, Edwards is a senior is year and according to last year's roster Fernstrom was a junior last year making her a senior this year. Technically with the transfer she could be a redshirt junior this year however we saw Starr not play out all eligibility years. If Fernstrom is a senior, gophers lose Edwards, Fernstrom and Wagner. Besides being terrified what the offense will look like without Wagner, could you imagine a post lineup of just Lamke, Garrido (stretch 4), Kapsosi (Small build PF), and the Bello sisters? yikes.....

I am getting worried we have heard hardly anything 2018 recruits..

Perhaps confidence in Fernstrom is not so high? MN in the mix for another sturdy

Fernstrom played the full year her freshman year at ISU
She then played 1/2 season her Sophomore year before transferring to Mn. The NCAA considers that a full year.
She then played the second half of her Junior year for Mn. Again the NCAA considers that a full year.
She will now play her senior year coming up and then she will no longer have any eligibility left. There was no red shirt year.
I believe Starr didn't play at all one of her seasons she was eligible and therefore can be red shirted and eligible for another season.

Bell makes to many mistakes at PG. The kid can jump out of the building. I would move her to small forward where she can still put the ball on the floor and even post up at times. Move Wagner to the off guard position. Put Brunson or the Spain transfer at point . Hubbard is versatile enough to play both at the SF and off guard spot Put Bello at PF ( hope she got stronger) Edwards is the lesser of two evils at center. At least she has a motor. Fernstrom is kind of a lazy ass and doesn't play to the whistle. Pitts is a scorer. You have to rotate her in the lineup for some minutes. My rant. Who and the " F" coaches the post players? They can't even do a simple drop step move, or even an up and under. If I were Stollings I'd ask Gopher Kevin McHale to come in and work with the post players.

Stollings tweeted BOOM about 8 hours ago. Doesn't that usually mean she thinks she made a big signing? Or maybe somebody is unexpectedly good in practice.

Stollings tweeted BOOM about 8 hours ago. Doesn't that usually mean she thinks she made a big signing? Or maybe somebody is unexpectedly good in practice.

Just saw this and yes. And I wish they'd update the roster.

Just saw this and yes. And I wish they'd update the roster.

Usually this means they have received a verbal commitment from a big recruit. NCAA rules prohibit coaches from saying anything publicly but I would expect the player to tweet about it sometime soon. The player wouldn't be on the roster until they actually show up which would be at least a year from now, perhaps two.

Is it too early to get a BOOM about Paige?

Usually this means they have received a verbal commitment from a big recruit. NCAA rules prohibit coaches from saying anything publicly but I would expect the player to tweet about it sometime soon. The player wouldn't be on the roster until they actually show up which would be at least a year from now, perhaps two.

My point about the roster is they still have last years roster up on the web site. Usually it's updated by the time players arrive for summer workouts. Looking at the photos and videos; it doesn't appear, to me, that everyone is here. That's not unusual; but it's summertime and we get to speculate.

Apparently, Stollings was on Paul Allen's show yesterday; once Kfan posts the show I'll give it a listen.

If they got Paige I would expect that writing to be like BBBBOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMM

also looking at videos, it appears the only player not here yet is the Spanish PG. the rest are on video or pictured.

Is it too early to get a BOOM about Paige?

Possible clue? A couple players -- Ashley Schroer (2020, Indiana) and Baylee R Teal (2020, New York) have liked the tweet.

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w-baskbl/mtt/minn-w-baskbl-mtt.html

Gophers post the 2017-18 Roster:

23 Bell, KenishaClick G 5-9 RS JR Minneapolis, Minn. (Marquette)
20 Bello, KehindeClick F 6-2 SO Southfield, Mich. (Southfield-Lathrup)
5 Bello, TaiyeClick F 6-2 SO Southfield, Mich. (Southfield-Lathrup)
21 Brunson, Jasmine G 5-7 SO Queens, N.Y. (Mary Louis Academy)
10 Edwards, Jessie C 6-3 SR Leeming, Australia (Curtin University)
14 Fernstrom, Bryannat C 6-5 SR Center City, Minn. (Iowa State)
31 Garrido Perez, Irene F 6-1 JR Granada, Spain (Wyoming CC)
43 Gonzalez, Paloma G 5-7 FR Vigo, Spain
34 Hubbard, Gadiva G 5-9 SO Virginia Beach, Va. (Princess Anne)
25 Kaposi, Palma F 6-1 JR Pecs, Hungary (University of Pecs)
41 Lamke, Annalese C 6-3 JR Galesville, Wis. (Gale-Ettrick-Trempealeau)
3 Pitts, Destiny G/F 5-10 FR Grosse Pointe Woods, Mich. (Detroit Country Day)
33 Wagner, Carlie G 5-10 SR New Richland, Minn. (New Richland-Hartland-Ellendale-Geneva)

Is anyone else wondering what is going on with the schedule for the gophers? Last year we had the non-conference schedule by July 2nd and we are coming up on almost a month later and we only know about one game (North Carolina). A lot of teams around the country have released their NC schedule and unless I missed it, gophers are not on anyone's schedule. Makes me a little nervous that we will be playing a ton of cupcakes in the NC which will (as we learned 2 seasons ago) ruin any small chance of making the NCAA.

Is anyone else wondering what is going on with the schedule for the gophers? Last year we had the non-conference schedule by July 2nd and we are coming up on almost a month later and we only know about one game (North Carolina). A lot of teams around the country have released their NC schedule and unless I missed it, gophers are not on anyone's schedule. Makes me a little nervous that we will be playing a ton of cupcakes in the NC which will (as we learned 2 seasons ago) ruin any small chance of making the NCAA.

I'm certainly wondering. I think most B1G teams have been slow releasing non-conference schedules. To your other point, Marquette released their NC schedule. They play Wisconsin and Michigan (and Tennessee and Notre Dame).

I think it was Delaynie Byrne, from Colorado. (A 2018, so I believe she's mentioned in a different thread)

Top Bottom