All Things Ben Carlson Recruitment Thread (Class of 2020) UPDATED: Commits to UW

I've been hearing that Stanford may not have room for Carlson, that they are going after bigger fish at the forward position

Stanford is interested in Max Murrell too, whom the Gophers are also after.

I've been hearing that Stanford may not have room for Carlson, that they are going after bigger fish at the forward position

Ben is the highest rated PF that is on their 247 offers list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not either. No one gets hurt. Most really good players wait as long as they can for their most desired offer without compromising their existing offers. He can wait 4 weeks if he wants as he has great choices waiting on him. Very little movement in August, plenty to come in September.

Not at liberty to say but it will be resolved quickly.

What good are you then Badgers? This is a meaningless chat room! Now make another account with a bogus email and tell us what the deal is in an obvious yet anonymous fashion!

What good are you then Badgers? This is a meaningless chat room! Now make another account with a bogus email and tell us what the deal is in an obvious yet anonymous fashion!

Otis, i am not much good no matter what i post. It will always be one meaningless post. I would never find some other way to post it, that would still be me. There is only a small chance that offer even comes and Ben will decide before the end of September. He has great choices now, including staying home.

Otis, i am not much good no matter what i post. It will always be one meaningless post. I would never find some other way to post it, that would still be me. There is only a small chance that offer even comes and Ben will decide before the end of September. He has great choices now, including staying home.

Sounds like there is a favorite without a solid offer at this point in time. Do you have the sense as to whether it’s wide open after that or is there a clear pecking order?

He has great choices now, including staying home.

True, but this feels the same to me as Kaden Johnson in football.

It seems like some really talented recruits that grow up in Minnesota view their college sports opportunities as their golden ticket out of the state, to somewhere else that they're much more excited about being. They don't feel any loyalty, whatsoever, to the state in which they grew up and developed their talents.

That was tongue in cheek Bro! Never betray a source!

PS: it's Duke isn't it

Built, he was being sarcastic and agrees with you.

True, but this feels the same to me as Kaden Johnson in football.

It seems like some really talented recruits that grow up in Minnesota view their college sports opportunities as their golden ticket out of the state, to somewhere else that they're much more excited about being. They don't feel any loyalty, whatsoever, to the state in which they grew up and developed their talents.

It’s always exciting to think about living somewhere else, trying something new, getting recruited by big names - the grass is always greener in a place you don’t know as well. That’s pretty normal, especially for a 17 or 18 year-old kid. Further, unlike even 10 years ago, it doesn’t seem like you’re that far away when you can connect with your family anytime via text, FaceTime, etc.

Built, he was being sarcastic and agrees with you.

I am pretty slow to it , my apologies. I have no idea who the favorite is but if i had to guess i would say Stanford or UW. The school he is waiting for is not Duke. I would really enjoy seeing him play here.

I am pretty slow to it , my apologies. I have no idea who the favorite is but if i had to guess i would say Stanford or UW. The school he is waiting for is not Duke. I would really enjoy seeing him play here.
I always assumed he was a Stanford lean. Seems like Carlson, Crowl and Murrell have alot of similar offers. Wonder if Bucky will keep slow playing Crowl to get Carlson

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I always assumed he was a Stanford lean. Seems like Carlson, Crowl and Murrell have alot of similar offers. Wonder if Bucky will keep slow playing Crowl to get Carlson

They are visiting on the same day. Wisconsin would take both. Happily! Minnesota slow played him right? are you projecting again?

They are visiting on the same day. Wisconsin would take both. Happily! Minnesota slow played him right? are you projecting again?
You have one scholly left, also you waited a few weeks to offer after having him at your team camp, Pitino offered the second he saw him live, so who really slow played who? Honestly you can have Crowl, I think if Bo was still your coach he would turn into a good player because he would get him to defend, I question Gard's ability to fix that liability in his game. Your boys don't play with the same energy on that side of the ball post Bo. Its really comical how easy it is to taking you to task, not sure why you bother anymore! Start by learning your team's scholarship count lol

You have one scholly left, also you waited a few weeks to offer after having him at your team camp, Pitino offered the second he saw him live, so who really slow played who? Honestly you can have Crowl, I think if Bo was still your coach he would turn into a good player because he would get him to defend, I question Gard's ability to fix that liability in his game. Your boys don't play with the same energy on that side of the ball post Bo. Its really comical how easy it is to taking you to task, not sure why you bother anymore! Start by learning your team's scholarship count lol

Unless there are things happening that you are un-aware or hadn't thought of. This is why when you apply your irrational hatred to everything it may make you unable to see the obvious. In 2016,17, and 19 they were # 1 in Def eff in the conference. That Gard is just awful.LOL

Unless there are things happening that you are un-aware or hadn't thought of. This is why when you apply your irrational hatred to everything it may make you unable to see the obvious. In 2016,17, and 19 they were # 1 in Def eff in the conference. That Gard is just awful.LOL
Wtf are you talking about? My irrational hatred of Gard who I rated higher than Pitino in my coach rankings that you absolutely lost your **** in.Gard has to prove it with his own guys, he was handed a good program. You're awfully defensive for a guy who comes over to a rivals board, not sure why you bother if you can't handle it. Truth of the matter is once Bo's guys left, you missed the post season and Oregon ran you out of the gym because you couldn't shoot, now you expect to be a better shooting team without Happ to take pressure off the perimeter. Good luck with that

2016: #2
2017: #1
2018: #8
2019: #2

https://kenpom.com/index.php?y=2017&s=RankAdjDE

Wtf are you talking about? My irrational hatred of Gard who I rated higher than Pitino in my coach rankings that you absolutely lost your **** in.Gard has to prove it with his own guys, he was handed a good program. You're awfully defensive for a guy who comes over to a rivals board, not sure why you bother if you can't handle it. Truth of the matter is once Bo's guys left, you missed the post season and Oregon ran you out of the gym because you couldn't shoot, now you expect to be a better shooting team without Happ to take pressure off the perimeter. Good luck with that

So you actually think Gard is a better coach then Pitino ? He does have a far better chance at Carlson then we do.

So you actually think Gard is a better coach then Pitino ? He does have a far better chance at Carlson then we do.

Choosing a blue blood over the hometown is one thing, but actually going to a hated rival is another level. You instantly become an enemy of your hometown. That is like the opposite of loyalty. Sure, their will be a handful of the “educated basketball geeks” that will keep cheering for you, but the vast majority of Minnesota fans will think of you as pond scum...

Friends don’t let friends go the Wisconsin!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Choosing a blue blood over the hometown is one thing, but actually going to a hated rival is another level. You instantly become an enemy of your hometown. That is like the opposite of loyalty. Sure, their will be a handful of the “educated basketball geeks” that will keep cheering for you, but the vast majority of Minnesota fans will think of you as pond scum...

Friends don’t let friends go the Wisconsin!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just see it differently then you you do. To me, these kids simply pick the place they want to go. So what if 20,000 fans that do not even know you hate you. Competitors like to get their home crowd going and shut up the opponent crowd. If fans think your pond scum for playing for someone else what did they think of Lynch, Lofton etc.. ? Loyalty to what ? The school ? The state ? It is their life and to let some random border that someone they could never know drew up and that should influence their life decision. What if a particular player is convinced that the home state school is poorly coached and he really wants to play for someone else ?

I just see it differently then you you do. To me, these kids simply pick the place they want to go. So what if 20,000 fans that do not even know you hate you. Competitors like to get their home crowd going and shut up the opponent crowd. If fans think your pond scum for playing for someone else what did they think of Lynch, Lofton etc.. ? Loyalty to what ? The school ? The state ? It is their life and to let some random border that someone they could never know drew up and that should influence their life decision. What if a particular player is convinced that the home state school is poorly coached and he really wants to play for someone else ?

Exactly, kids want an environment they enjoy and have the best chance of success, wherever that is.

I ranked him one spot ahead of Richard, and one below Fran. Gard, had success with Bo's guys but has trended down as more of his guys have come into the program. Which is why he's not up there with Izzo and Painter. Fran got the nod because he took over an absolute gong show in Iowa, Gard was gifted a good program and when you're in that situation you're judged on how well you maintain it. I would not be happy in Madison with the direction recruiting has gone, or the last two years, based on the success Bo had. Now that Happ is gone this is his team, players, vision and he needs show it's going the right way. Also Big ten is loaded with good coaches, being the 7th or 8th best is not an insult. Chris Collins doesn't even crack my top ten. If Wisconsin has a good year than I will shut up about Gard, but I don't see it, personally.

Play for the home team and the hometown fans will love you for it. Play for the rival and they will generally hate you for it. It is great to think that fans would be dispassionate about all decisions and coddle these young men but not reality. Better to tell them to cowboy up, make the decision, and live with the consequences. Any coach that you pick might be here next year, or might be cheating on his wife and flying his mistress around the country on the Badgers dime and getting fired... Ya just never know.

Also a benefit of playing for the home team is:
You might play for the gophers, get to play in front of friends and family, get a degree, become a big name locally, leverage it for a nice starting position at a local law firm, end up running the firm and retiring as a well known local success story (this is my Business Attorney's story and he retired last year). Go to Iowa, well... you could have a nice career as a State Farm agent in Des Moines which is not a bad second prize - good people down there.

(You Minnesota recruits really want to win a national title? Get together with other Minnesota kids to create a Fab5 type team right here. It will be your easiest path. Picking Blueblood teams are a crapshoot and getting sold on blueblood pretenders (like Wisc) make it zero chance. )

I can understand kids maybe wanting to play someplace else, but intentionally picking the biggest rival and most hated school is not the same. I know you have a lot of experience with kids picking schools, but don't under estimate the feeling's that a kid has for where they grew up. It can be quite emotional to have your home turn on you. For what, being a "rent a player" for a school that got "all world, all hype" Ethan Happ onto a pro team in Greece? If you are going to jump ship, then jump ship and go all of the way. Going to Wisconsin or Iowa is not going to change your career path!

Top Bottom