Pro am report - June 19, 2017

I agree GopherLady. Summer ball has zero implication on the season. I remember years ago that Bostick looked very solid at Pulley, but we all know how his seasons went. My hope is for all players to continue to improve in all areas and playing more definitely helps.

Dan Coleman was another one that looked like he'd be the next coming of Quincy Lewis at summer league. Then there are guys that don't look at great and do well (that's obviously the scenario I prefer)!

I don't think GL said it has zero implications. I remember quite a few years feeling reasonably concerned about players at the summer league showing. The implications of watching our new players last night is that I could go home thinking that Pitino picked a couple of guys who have a chance to excel and excite. We all know there will be an adjustment to the BT - but I feel no need to curb my enthusiasm! its a fun night in a great location!

That's a great point Moonlight. We chatted about the excitement last night too - how many years did we go where people didn't care about seeing the new players, and there was no excitement surrounding the team. So great to see a pretty full gym, people loving every minute, and seeing great potential in these new guys (as well as the older ones continuing to improve).

It was great to see you and Sir Moonlight too, of course!

Isaiah Washington is brilliant to watch in person. A bit of a ball hog but not that big a deal considering who was on his team. Amazing handles. Showed a pretty good shot. Looked to be bothered by cam rundles and tyrell sledges physicality. But he came alive in the second half and exploded for about 25. Reggie was playing at about half speed. Jordan had a monster tip dunk but wasn't really involved in the offense much. He did hit one nice jumper. The other game isn't over yet but Jamir Harris is sinking them from all over. Plus he looks like a very smart player. He is short though. Tyus and tre and Trevor and every other basketball person in town are here. Nate looks bigger. And recovered from the hip issue. Gaston is clumsy. Definitely worth turning out for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was going to accuse you of irrational exuberance until that part.

Got a ton of footage from Monday's pro-am but nothing from yesterday's. Anyone attend / did Isaiah go super-jelly mode?

Saw both games last night. Curry seemed bigger and played with some fire. Coffey still struggling with his off hand but quietly made some nice plays. Mason was not impressive...likely still recovering from hip injury. Hurt played a decent game on the floor but his shot was not falling. Tre Jones was the best player on the court in game 1.

I was excited to see Isaiah in game 2. Hoping to see him unrestricted (no coaches) so he could show his skills. There were a few highlights but many more turnovers than assists and did not share the ball. Crossing mid court to play defense seemed like a chore to him. All of those things should be different when coaches are present...but last night left something to be desired. Macbrayer looked good and Shamala can still play.

All in all it was fun and I highly recommend checking it out.

Personally, I would put little to zero stock in performances from current Gophers players at these games. They're glorified pick-up, And-1 mix tape type games. There is little to no defensive effort shown, and it looks like the players do what they can to make sure everybody gets their shots up and nobody gets hurt. That said, it is a good opportunity to see the new faces. Let's do more analysis in games that actually matter.

This might be the most excited I've been about this program going into a season. If they stay healthy and play well, they're legitimate Big 10 contenders.

per Shama:

The draw for many fans attending the free games of the Pro Am league is the Gophers players including incoming freshman Isaiah Washington. Known for flashy moves and shots, the New York City point guard might have a skillset unlike any player who has ever been a Gopher. The best comparison could be with Ray Williams, the former Gopher guard-forward, also from New York, who dazzled crowds at Williams Arena in the 1970s before playing in the NBA.

Washington has made an early impression on Pro Am commissioner Jamar Diggs. “He is a special athlete,” Diggs said.

Former Gopher Trevor Mbakwe, who plays for Hybrid Nation, was asked if Washington’s flamboyant style might make it more difficult for the former New York City Mr. Basketball to fit in with older teammates. “I am sure there’s going to be times when Nate (Mason) is going to have to bring him to the side to do something. Change what he’s doing, but I don’t think that‘s going to be an issue at all (fitting in),” Mbakwe said. “We have great upperclassmen.”

Mason plays in the Pro Am league for Hybrid Nation so he isn’t on Washington’s N1 Motion team that includes Gopher Jordan Murphy, but as a senior point guard Mason’s job will be to mentor the freshman. Monday night he sat next to Washington on the bench during N1 Motion’s game against Diggs Team.

Washington looked disinterred in playing defense in the game but earlier in the evening Diggs cautioned about making too much of any player’s profile in Pro Am games. “To be honest, this is glorified pickup (basketball),” Diggs said. “No matter who comes in here, you can’t notice too much what’s going on. It’s not a college game. It’s not a professional game.”

Mbakwe, though, has picked up on the excitement of fans about Washington. “We’re lucky to have him here,” Mbakwe said.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

KARE 11: Local hoops stars shine at revamped Twin Cities Pro Am

Lately week nights at DeLaSalle high school mean one thing: hoops. From former Gopher legends to pros playing overseas, some of the best talent the state has to offer is on display. That includes, for the first time since 2013, current Gopher basketball players.

“I’m getting calls and meetings from all over the place,” Jamar Diggs said. “People are excited about it, and that’s how I felt going into it.”

When Diggs, a former DeLaSalle star, brought the Twin Cities Pro Am back last year the buzz was undeniable.

“You never know who’s going to show up,” Diggs said.

This year though the hype has reached a fever pitch after Gophers basketball coach Richard Pitino gave his players the okay to play.

“Them being a part of it is a big key,” Diggs said.

Part of the fun is seeing current Gopher stars like Amir Coffey going head-to-head with former Gopher stars like Jamal Abu-Shamala. Then, there are guys like incoming Gopher freshman Isaiah Washington, who is proving that all the hype surrounding his so called “jelly,” just might be for real.

“Sometimes I get perplexed that he’s 18 or 19,” Diggs said. “It’s like, ‘Wow, you’re a special talent.’”

One of the biggest stars though this summer isn’t a current Gopher or even one from the best.

As one of the top high school recruits in the nation, Apple Valley’s Tre Jones has a tough decision coming up, and the Gophers are definitely in the mix.

“A ton of people here are telling me to stay home,” Tre said. “The Gophers got a lot better last year. I feel like they’re going in the right direction.”

Coaching Tre is none other than his older brother Tyus, a current Minnesota Timberwolf, who’s been in Tre’s shoes.

“To this point in his life, it’s the biggest decision he’s ever made,” Tyus said. “He needs to take his time and weigh out all his options.”

Options that include joining the guys he’s playing with and against in the Pro Am.

“It definitely gives an advantage to the Gophers,” Tre said. “I’m able to spend some time with them and play with them or against them and see what their game is like.”

http://www.kare11.com/sports/local-hoops-stars-shine-at-revamped-twin-cities-pro-am/452511232

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom