Pro am report - June 19, 2017

jmag21

Reaction score
Isaiah Washington is brilliant to watch in person. A bit of a ball hog but not that big a deal considering who was on his team. Amazing handles. Showed a pretty good shot. Looked to be bothered by cam rundles and tyrell sledges physicality. But he came alive in the second half and exploded for about 25. Reggie was playing at about half speed. Jordan had a monster tip dunk but wasn't really involved in the offense much. He did hit one nice jumper. The other game isn't over yet but Jamir Harris is sinking them from all over. Plus he looks like a very smart player. He is short though. Tyus and tre and Trevor and every other basketball person in town are here. Nate looks bigger. And recovered from the hip issue. Gaston is clumsy. Definitely worth turning out for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Update. Jamir needs serious work on his handles. A bit of a turnover machine. But man his stroke may be as sweet as I've seen from a gopher. Including Blake. It's kind of insane.

Update. Jamir needs serious work on his handles. A bit of a turnover machine. But man his stroke may be as sweet as I've seen from a gopher. Including Blake. It's kind of insane.

Remember, he's playin' against men but ball handling is not a strength, I'd agree.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Great stuff, keep the recaps coming. If we don't get Tre I'm going to assume it's because Washington is so awesome and Tre didn't think he could beat him out for starting PG. ;)

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Jamir Harris finished with 23 points, 8-16 from the field, 5-10 from 3 and the 3 point line was from NBA distance.

Jamir Harris finished with 23 points, 8-16 from the field, 5-10 from 3 and the 3 point line was from NBA distance.

I know all the talk is about Jellyfam...but man, I think Jamir is the sleeper (and I use that term lightly, as he's solid), I was very impressed with him, and think he'll be a great addition this year.

Summer league is so tough, because it's a lot of show, fun, little D, etc...but you hope a lot of what we're seeing translates to the Big 10.

From people's descriptions, Harris feels like a secret weapon.

"Best shooter in high school" was thrown out a couple times as a descriptor for Harris.

We are going to get a zone killer in Harris and a guy that hopefully can d-up B1G guards so he is viable in transition for open 3s.

We've heard consistently his handles need work, lucky for him, the team is ok with people having the ability to advance the ball up the court.

High intelligence (valedictorian), decent size, great form. Solid Solid addition to the squad. Because we are a bit light in shooters, his minutes will likely be more than we anticipated.

I know all the talk is about Jellyfam...but man, I think Jamir is the sleeper (and I use that term lightly, as he's solid), I was very impressed with him, and think he'll be a great addition this year.

Summer league is so tough, because it's a lot of show, fun, little D, etc...but you hope a lot of what we're seeing translates to the Big 10.

I agree GopherLady. Summer ball has zero implication on the season. I remember years ago that Bostick looked very solid at Pulley, but we all know how his seasons went. My hope is for all players to continue to improve in all areas and playing more definitely helps.

I don't think GL said it has zero implications. I remember quite a few years feeling reasonably concerned about players at the summer league showing. The implications of watching our new players last night is that I could go home thinking that Pitino picked a couple of guys who have a chance to excel and excite. We all know there will be an adjustment to the BT - but I feel no need to curb my enthusiasm! its a fun night in a great location!

That was Bakary, not Gaston... Guy is definitely still clumsy, but he was vocal and assertive while showing some emotion.

Ha, good catch. I have no idea why I typed Gaston. Distracted by Jamir Harris hitting bombs.

Can the season just start already?

STrib: Isaiah Washington dazzles in Twin Cities basketball debut

The first time Isaiah Washington checked into the game at Monday’s Twin Cities Pro Am, the couple of hundred fans in the crowd at DeLaSalle High School gave him resounding applause.

That was before the highly touted Gophers incoming freshman even gave them a glimpse of why he’s the New York Mr. Basketball and a social media star as the co-founder of the Jelly Fam club.

It took only his first offensive possession for the “oohs and aahs” to come as the 6-1 Harlem native had his defender dancing to keep up with his flashy ball-handling and spin moves.

A few minutes into the second quarter, Washington cut to the lane and finished with one of his trademark “Jelly” finger rolls, which started his online fame last year. Through three quarters, he already had scored all of his 25 points, which included a 360-degree layup, a few three-pointers and a transition dunk.

Gophers fans definitely got what they wanted to see in Washington’s Twin Cities debut. The top incoming recruit for Richard Pitino could be an impact reserve for a 24-win Minnesota team that returns All-Big Ten senior point guard Nate Mason.

“I didn’t expect a crowd like this for the first game, but it helped to have all of the Gophers players, especially Isaiah,” said Jamar Diggs, Twin Cities Pro Am founder and former DeLaSalle standout. “Hopefully, we can make it like this the whole summer.”

http://www.startribune.com/a-showman-from-the-start/429559863/#1

Go Gophers!!

FWIW
Isaiah and Jordan walked in the gym about 10 seconds before the game started, so they had zero warm-up time. I thought that is why Isaiah looked a little out of sorts for the first couple of minutes and Jordan didn't get into a flow until the second half. Once Jordan got going he gave a couple of pretty good attempts at dunking on Reggie- I think he went 1 for 3. Missed free throws, knocked down a college 3, missed an NBA 3, but the form looked good. The free throws must a thing because the shot form looks ok, but it isn't shot with much confidence.
Isaiah's first possession ended in a dunk for Joey King- but Joey was on the other team. As long as the refs call the carry violation for him the same as they never did for Melo Trimble he will be ok, but it is borderline. As a ref, it looked to me like he gained a little too much of an advantage on some of them and that is when you have to call it. He had a few possessions where it was a lot of dribbles to go nowhere and I would rather see one quick good move that gets him past a defender, but he knows how to play to the crowd. I can see why the All-Star games love him. Once he quit looking down to make sure he was behind the NBA 3 pt line, the shot improved. Over-all I was impressed-- as a veteran watcher of the Howard Pulley Pro-Am at the Sal, I must throw in the disclaimer that I was more impressed with Devron Bostick's first appearance that Isaiah's so take everything I say with a grain of salt, I guess.

Jamir Harris lit it up early and often- I think he missed his first one and then knocked in 3 in a row and wasn't affected by the deeper 3 pt line at all. I didn't notice the loose handles as much as the other reporters on here, but he did have a bad turnover at a crucial point in the game on a pass.

I think it is tough for these young guys, or really any Gopher because they haven't played in this sort of environment before, to get used to the defense being played. There is about 10 possessions in a row where it seems like an NBA all-star game with no-one playing any D and then when some D is played it is physical, grabby, pushy D played by a 28 yr old MAN who doesn't want to get shown up by a young Gopher.

Jarvis Johnson was there last night, but isn't on a roster. He could play last year because it wasn't a NCAA certified league yet, but this year they have that certification so the U might have more control and won't let him play. I should have gone over and asked but I didn't want to bother him.

The rosters, as always, are merely a guide for who will show up and play. Trevor Mbwake is on a roster and was there watching but didn't play. Tyus stayed for both games. Amir didn't play, Matz Stockman was there (I think that's who it was) and didn't play. Royce wasn't there and a few others. Still a good time and good venue. They have some concessions this year and the price is right for an evening of entertainment

Top Bottom