Hero Sports: College Football Coaches Who Were Fired Too Soon (Minnesota: Glen Mason)

Mase used up all his lives. I am surprised he wasn't fired when he abandoned his job in 2001 to go to Columbus to campaign for tOSU job. That coupled with the late game collapses and some things he said in public are what did him in. TTech was just the excuse to get rid of him.

Mase used up all his lives. I am surprised he wasn't fired when he abandoned his job in 2001 to go to Columbus to campaign for tOSU job. That coupled with the late game collapses and some things he said in public are what did him in. TTech was just the excuse to get rid of him.

What did he say in public?

What did he say in public?

Well calling the students drunks and taking shots at the admin to the media and finally as the story goes he said some things at the Insight Bowl that people on power did not like. I was not there so I can't for sure say exactly what those things were but more than one person has brought that story up before. Basically Mase spent the 2006 putting his foot in his mouth. He may have been justified in some of the things he said but when you add it all up it is easy to understand why Bruinicks canned him. For the record, I am someone who thought it was a mistake to fire him then because we were on hook financially and only a short time to hire a replacement after all the good candidates had been picked over. Plus we weren't willing to pay jack for anyone. They should have waited and fired him if he flopped in 2007, which he very well could have since it was viewed as a rebuilding year. The. Again that was a down year in the conference and he might have put together a decent team.

It's not that they didn't have a plan it's that their plan didn't work. Put it like this what if Fleck had said no? Odds are we would be having the same conversation in five years about how Coyle didn't have a plan. Norwood thought he could get Shaka. He failed and fortunately Billy D. Guided him to Pitino. As bad as Coyle looked in the Clayes firing presser he does deserve credit for getting the B of R to put up the funding necessary to get Fleck because he was able to communicate his vision for a football program and Athletic Department. In the pass we weren't willing to pony up for a coach after Mason. The board seemed up set about having to pay Mason and Monson buyouts on top of the new salaries. When you hire cheap you get cheap results like Brewster

You think Coyle didn't at least have a good idea that Fleck would take the job when he fired Claeys? I'd bet there was some communication between agents or other back channels before all that went down. It's no coincidence that Coyle wanted Fleck at Syracuse and then hired him here.

The firing of Mason and hiring of Brewster were two separate actions. Some people like to lump them together. Just because Brewster was a failure doesn't mean firing Mason was the wrong move.

This. So much this. +1.

Well calling the students drunks and taking shots at the admin to the media and finally as the story goes he said some things at the Insight Bowl that people on power did not like. I was not there so I can't for sure say exactly what those things were but more than one person has brought that story up before. Basically Mase spent the 2006 putting his foot in his mouth. He may have been justified in some of the things he said but when you add it all up it is easy to understand why Bruinicks canned him. For the record, I am someone who thought it was a mistake to fire him then because we were on hook financially and only a short time to hire a replacement after all the good candidates had been picked over. Plus we weren't willing to pay jack for anyone. They should have waited and fired him if he flopped in 2007, which he very well could have since it was viewed as a rebuilding year. The. Again that was a down year in the conference and he might have put together a decent team.

I don't remember him calling the students "drunk "......
He didn't get along with Maturi, but I don't ever remember a quotable shot at the administration.
I was at the Insight Bowl Pep rally and he did take a shot at the media ( Mpls Tribune ). It was interesting because my wife and I were standing about 20 ft. from Maturi, and when he railed on the Strib Maturi rolled his eyes. When Mase walked off the podium Maturi said something to him and Glen just walked on by him. Mase was also a bit pissed because the schedule for the event was all screwed up. and he waited some 30 minutes before actually speaking. They were
having a preliminary practice after the pep fest and he was going to be late. The OSU job? Why not? That was his dream job, and he certainly was getting great support from the administration
As he once said: " Hey, if the phone rings I'm going to pick it up" When he was fired he never once bad mouthed the decision to the media. On the BTN he usually very pro active regarding Minnesota. He and his family love living here. Like he said on KFAN a couple of years ago with Dan B. " People here thought I hated Minnesota and would be gone after being fired. Hell, I love the State and the people here.I'm out there in the Winter time like everyone else hoping I can get the car out of the driveway"!!

At some point, he also called the trophies trinkets, and later doubled down on said remarks. I don't remember exactly when it was (I think it was after his team went to Madison and took another didn't-get-off-bus ass-kicking), but that didn't help matters either.

As others noted, this article confuses the cashiering of Mason with the hire of Brew.

Mason alienates Gophers’ few fans

Minnesota coach should have known better than to call out loyal students

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2006/oct/24/mason_alienates_gophers_few_fans/

I don't remember him calling the students "drunk "......
He didn't get along with Maturi, but I don't ever remember a quotable shot at the administration.
I was at the Insight Bowl Pep rally and he did take a shot at the media ( Mpls Tribune ). It was interesting because my wife and I were standing about 20 ft. from Maturi, and when he railed on the Strib Maturi rolled his eyes. When Mase walked off the podium Maturi said something to him and Glen just walked on by him. Mase was also a bit pissed because the schedule for the event was all screwed up. and he waited some 30 minutes before actually speaking. They were
having a preliminary practice after the pep fest and he was going to be late. The OSU job? Why not? That was his dream job, and he certainly was getting great support from the administration
As he once said: " Hey, if the phone rings I'm going to pick it up" When he was fired he never once bad mouthed the decision to the media. On the BTN he usually very pro active regarding Minnesota. He and his family love living here. Like he said on KFAN a couple of years ago with Dan B. " People here thought I hated Minnesota and would be gone after being fired. Hell, I love the State and the people here.I'm out there in the Winter time like everyone else hoping I can get the car out of the driveway"!!

Gotta love Mase. The picking up the phone thing-clear evidence people want to be lied to. Of course any non-helmet coach picks up the phone. But, it's like when your wife/gf asks if her butt looks good in those jeans the answer is always yes. Clearly he was frustrated by the administration and the tension built up over the years until the inevitable divorce.

Too soon? Yes, perhaps by a month. Within a month or so of the Mason firing, the Dom Jones et al. gang bang happened. This likely would have been the end of Mason.

Honestly I think mason is ok with it. He sure seems a lot happier now. I think he was burnt out.

Too soon? Yes, perhaps by a month. Within a month or so of the Mason firing, the Dom Jones et al. gang bang happened. This likely would have been the end of Mason.

Honestly I think mason is ok with it. He sure seems a lot happier now. I think he was burnt out.

Unreal to fast forward and say Mason would have been a part of that . ( Dom Jones ) He is happier and is the best the BTN has to offer. I would still take him over the winey Kill and the mundane Clayes.

Unreal to fast forward and say Mason would have been a part of that . ( Dom Jones ) He is happier and is the best the BTN has to offer. I would still take him over the winey Kill and the mundane Clayes.

Do you think Brewster came in and lifted Mason's no gangbanging of drunken girls rule? Not Mason's fault directly but those were his guys. He had got so lazy they offered a scholarship to a recruit waiting sentencing on an armed robbery charge (Mcfield). I agree he is happier.

Top Bottom