Bring back the Pillsbury Classic (or some version thereof)

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Doesn't have to be, but I'd suggest a regional (Midwest) flavor.

Friday semifinals, Saturday 3rd place & championship games.

Non-exempt.

4 teams:

1 Gophers
2 Strong Midwest mid-major (in 75-175 RPI range and/or expected to be conference title contender)
3 Strong Midwest mid-major (ditto)
4 Midwest cupcake (assures Gophers will appear in the championship game)

Williams Arena preferred but could be at Target Center or the X. Must be part of season-ticket package. Nice perk to get 2 (non-Gopher) games as part of season-ticket package.

An example?

Gophers vs. Eastern Illinois (OVC cupcake)
Missouri State (expected to be one of favorites in MVC) vs. South Dakota State (expected favorite in Summit League)

Disappointed these kind of tournaments have disappeared from schedules of Power conference teams.

What about at the Vikings US Bank stadium? I prefer Williams as well. But, Probably needs a different location to distinguish it ... to make it special imo Gotta be a sponsor willing to make it a money maker for the Gophers as well? Very much in favor of the return of the local tourney.

What about at the Vikings US Bank stadium? I prefer Williams as well. But, Probably needs a different location to distinguish it ... to make it special imo Gotta be a sponsor willing to make it a money maker for the Gophers as well? Very much in favor of the return of the local tourney.

My thought would be US Bank too big. At least keep it in a traditional basketball-sized arena. I wouldn't mind TC or the X as a change of pace, something different.

What's the draw of this over scheduling Eastern Illinois and South Dakota in the same season, which we essentially do anyway?

What I'd much rather have happen is we consistently play a team from a regional mid-major conference champion. Like a Horizon champion or play a Wisconsin school not named Badgers. Make it like the Quad State Challenge where you take Minnesota (only d1 school in the state) vs a rotating Dakota School (treat N&S Dakota as one) Iowa School and Wisconsin School and have them meet in a rotating location.

Can you imagine the crowd at US Bank Stadium for a Missouri State vs South Dakota State game? Neither can I..

We saw the value in having a strong non-conference schedule in the tourney selection last year. Adding more OVC cupcakes only hurts in the long run

Well...

Can you imagine the crowd at US Bank Stadium for a Missouri State vs South Dakota State game? Neither can I..

We saw the value in having a strong non-conference schedule in the tourney selection last year. Adding more OVC cupcakes only hurts in the long run

lol I agree with what you are getting at but I'd argue the crowd might be "larger" at US Bank than say Excel or Target Center. I believe you'd get to watch that one free where ever it is if you paid for the Gophers game. It's ugly anywhere. I'd love for us to play a tougher schedule than we did even last year...we agree on that. By the same token we are going to have some cupcakes in preseason. One on a neutral court is probably a bit preferable to at home.

No non-conference schedule is devoid of a cupcake or two.

Realistically these facilities are going to want a decent opponent with a brand name because they know a cupcake isn't going to sell tickets.

Top Bottom