BTN's Tom Dienhart: Must-win game for each Big Ten team (Minnesota: vs. Michigan St)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per BTN:

Minnesota: vs. Michigan State, Oct. 14. To make it six bowls in a row, Minnesota will need to take down the Spartans. This is a Michigan State program trying to rebound from a confounding 3-9 season that saw MSU miss a bowl for the first time since 2006. What to make of the Spartans? Who knows? Michigan State has won the last four meetings, but the teams haven’t clashed since 2013 and haven’t met in Dinkytown since 2012. The Gophers’ last victory at home vs. the Spartans? It came in 2009.

http://btn.com/2017/06/19/dienhart-must-win-game-for-each-big-ten-team/

Go Gophers!!

I don't know why but I really like beating Michigan State. I don't feel like there's a rivalry with them, but when we beat them I am very pleased.

I feel this way about everyone
I guess I don't really get interested in beating Illinois/Indiana/Purdue/Northwestern/Penn State. I like to get the win, but I don't get fired up about beating those kinds of teams.

Penn St is a worthy win.
Mich St is as well.

Ill, Ind, Purdue, NW... yeah, no.

I guess I don't really get interested in beating Illinois/Indiana/Purdue/Northwestern/Penn State. I like to get the win, but I don't get fired up about beating those kinds of teams.

Penn St and Northwestern seem like legit wins. They have their ups and downs but they're competitive.

The rest... I still enjoy too.

Personally, I love beating Illinois, Purdue and Northwestern...It's always satisfying to know that their are programs below us - plus losing to them really pisses me off. I don't get much extra joy out of beating MSU (outside of the joy of an victory). They have become my 2nd favorite team in the conference - I like Dantonio's style of football and I harbor zero hate for them...which leads me to root for them against every other team in the conference. PSU used to kind of fit that mold as well, but after scandal and my natural hate for Franklin has changed that.

Beating the defending big ten champs doesn't get you fired. The win in 99 did nothing for you?

I guess I was making a joke more that I enjoy winning regardless of who it is. I get your point though I will say PSU is an odd one to have in that list

Legit B1G wins vs non-legit B1G wins. Good Talk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When you're Alabama or Ohio State, you can talk about routine wins.

For the Gophers, there are no routine wins. Even win is precious, and should be savored. No win should be dismissed. If they beat a D1 team, it counts as a win. A Win is a Win is a Win.

there was a time, not so long ago, when the Gophers (and their fans) were thrilled to win any game. Because those same fans have sat through a lot of truly ugly losses.

My 2-cents worth: Any gopher fan who says that a B1G win doesn't count or doesn't matter should be forced at gunpoint to watch the entire 84-13 loss to Nebraska, and ponder the value of a victory.

When you're Alabama or Ohio State, you can talk about routine wins.

For the Gophers, there are no routine wins. Even win is precious, and should be savored. No win should be dismissed. If they beat a D1 team, it counts as a win. A Win is a Win is a Win.

there was a time, not so long ago, when the Gophers (and their fans) were thrilled to win any game. Because those same fans have sat through a lot of truly ugly losses.

My 2-cents worth: Any gopher fan who says that a B1G win doesn't count or doesn't matter should be forced at gunpoint to watch the entire 84-13 loss to Nebraska, and ponder the value of a victory.

And they should have to do it in a virtual reality Metrodome to add to the depression of the experience.

didn't WE LEAD IN THAT Nebraska GAME AT ONE PT.

Beating the defending big ten champs doesn't get you fired. The win in 99 did nothing for you?
Beating the #1 team in the country is exciting, but Penn State in and of itself doesn't elicit much emotion from me. Of course, the situation can add emotion and meaning to any game.

If beating NW, and PSU don't get you fired up, you should rethink your reaction. Both of those teams have had higher ranked recruiting classes than we have for the last 10+ years, PSU for the last 50 years. Indiana and Purdue have always been a problem to win on the road except for the last few years at Purdue. The state of Illinois is loaded with talent, if they ever figure out how to keep half of it, they will give anyone in the conference a hard time.

Beating the #1 team in the country is exciting, but Penn State in and of itself doesn't elicit much emotion from me. Of course, the situation can add emotion and meaning to any game.

Can I ask why? Genuinely curious. Is it the distance and/or the fact that they haven't being in the big ten for 80 years?

Can I ask why? Genuinely curious. Is it the distance and/or the fact that they haven't being in the big ten for 80 years?
Just no connection to those teams. I have friends that are Wisconsin/Michigan/Iowa fans, aside from just existing in the Big Ten I have no connection or reason to hate or like those other teams. Beating them is great, but I just don't care aside from the number in the win column.

Just no connection to those teams. I have friends that are Wisconsin/Michigan/Iowa fans, aside from just existing in the Big Ten I have no connection or reason to hate or like those other teams. Beating them is great, but I just don't care aside from the number in the win column.

Do you consider beating Rutgers great?
Asking for a friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom