PJ Fleck on Sports Huddle 6-18-17

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
Gopher Football coach PJ Fleck was back on the Sports Huddle with Sid, Dave and Max on Sunday.

Sid: talk about two coaches you hired: from Arkansas and OC from Ohio State?
PJF: Rob Smith - known for a long time, great friend, coached at Rutgers, Tampa Bay. Had top 10 defense at Rutgers, top 15 at Arkansas. Similar system to WMU. coaches linebackers. Ed Warriner will be our OL coach -was 3 year OC at OSU. he will handle a lot of our running game. In great demand - already being linked to other jobs. One of best OL coaches in country. Lucky to have those guys.

Sid: talk about your Camps? Local camps and the ones in Chicago and Dallas?
PJF: Heavy recruiting time. only time Head Coach can see prospects live. get on your campus, satellite camps, able to work with them hands-on, coaching them. extremely important. our camps are different. keep numbers down. players aren't standing in long lines. they're going to learn a lot - get a lot of reps. When we team up with other programs, holding 4 satellite camps - do in places we heavily recruit. Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Ohio. Chicago an area we recruit. we're able to find some people under a rock. found a few that committed. proud of in-state products.

Sid: what are players doing this summer?
PJF: Players run own practices. they're busy with internships, summer jobs, but they run own practices. we have a few meetings (with coaches) - a few hours over course of summer to talk FB. coaches have own work to do. like players to be excited to see us again in training camp. don't burn them out.

Max: players run own practice? direction?
PJF: we hold 1 practice after spring game - all about how we practice in summer - taught players expectations of summer. they listened. want to be a little more casual, but at same time not get into bad habits. explained the details we look for - players hold themselves accountable. incredibly pleased with progress.

Mona: preference on Game times?
PJF: each time frame creates diff environment. love mid-day games. When I was growing up always knew Big 10 FB always at 11, 2 or 4. I come from a league where we played Tuesdays, Thursdays, night games, all different times to get exposure. B1G doesn't have to do that. love we have some night games, games in middle of day.

Sid: Are you going to use remaining Scholarships?
PJF: (laughing) you ask that question all the time. can still push available scholarships to 2018. have a lot of commitments already. still have two left for 17. waiting for a couple of kids to make it academically. If they do, then we'll fill one or two this year.

Sid: talk about strength stuff?
PJF: had 22 off-season surgeries. can't have those. I think we have the best strength coach in America. develops players -makes them a complete person. Strength & Conditioning is the lifeline to our program. (our coach) has them doing a lot of competitive things. U of Iowa has one of best S & C programs in country. Their coach is a mentor to our coach. on the cutting edge. our whole staff (rattles off several names) doing tremendous job.

Sid: when does FB practice start?
PJF: we will start camp Aug 1st. we'll have a lot of open practices. Looking forward to having people see us play. time frame - won't practice at 6:00am (before class starts). allowed one practice per day, with 29 total practices. have to be creative with practices. hard to get 29 in. can't have two-a-days anymore (with new restrictions).
we have lot of work to do.

Sid: Murray's certificate.
PJF: Happy Fathers Day. Ski-U-Mah. RTB.

Thanks SON. Great write up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, son!

RTB? Must be Rock the Boat!

Yup, good notes, thanks. Personally I am fine with Sid asking that question, I am interested.

Nice report son! Interesting take on fewer people being invited to camps etc. Allows more repetition and I believe that allows the coaches to see more about a player. However I would think it would eliminate those diamonds in the rough though that aren't invited.

Thanks S.O.N.

PJF: "had 22 off-season surgeries. can't have those. I think we have the best strength coach in America. develops players -makes them a complete person. Strength & Conditioning is the lifeline to our program. (our coach) has them doing a lot of competitive things. U of Iowa has one of best S & C programs in country. Their coach is a mentor to our coach. on the cutting edge. our whole staff (rattles off several names) doing tremendous job."

With players suspended for the Colorado State, Penn State, Rutgers, and Washington State games last season, and 22 off-season surgeries (and a few during the season too?) that 9-4 record looks even better and so does it's depth. Something that most of us, myself included, didn't give them enough credit for.

Leidner was also brutal last year. The "good" Leidner maybe showing-up for only a few quarters all season. Now add in Claeys and Company botching more than a few game day decisions. It certainly wasn't their strength. While P.J. got a lot of credit for his game day calls. Gotta expect a good season ahead, maybe not another 9 win season but a good one. Now add in Fleck's recruiting prowess and it should be good seasons for quite some time.

And that's about time too.

Thanks again from the hot but beautiful White Mountains.

Top Bottom