Woodbury DE David Alston

hungan1

Reaction score
Why haven't the Gophers offer 6' 5" 225-lb DE/TE (3.87 GPA)David Alston?

He has offers from 16 teams including NE & WI plus from a slew of Ivy League schools.

Going out on a limb here but...guessing they like the guys they have offers out to more. Just picked up a CB the other day from a DE with a big offer list.

Let's leave Peej alone when it comes to MN kids - he's obviously doing a lot of evaluation there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Going out on a limb here but...guessing they like the guys they have offers out to more. Just picked up a CB the other day from a DE with a big offer list.

Let's leave Peej alone when it comes to MN kids - he's obviously doing a lot of evaluation there.

What does this sentence mean? I read it as "Just picked up a cornerback the other day from a defensive end with a big offer list."

Not fast enough to be a linebacker and not big enough to be a defensive end.

He's too small to play 4-3 linebacker.
The version I have heard is they don't know if he is a DE or OLB in their system. They have to recruit kids that fit the system they want to play. Personally I am a big 3-4 D fan, but if that is not want the staff is going to play, recruiting kids who fit that system does not make sense.
No coach knowingly passes on local kids who can play for them and they like as a person, they can be wrong, but so can any other staff.

Based on the last 40 years, any MN kid with an offer from IA or WI should have an offer from us.

He's too small to play 4-3 linebacker.

Huh? Don't know the kid- but from a pure tape measure perspective he's bigger than almost all of the 9 LB we've signed the last 5 years.

I would think that Fleck knows about him and hasn't offered for some reason. Would never happen for obvious reasons, but it would be cool if we could have bi-weekly reports who has offered and why, and why not to those who don't get offered. The idea would be to learn some of the other in and outs of football recruiting. That would also lead to more complaining, but for obvious reasons this would never take place. No sense tipping off the competition.

I would think that Fleck knows about him and hasn't offered for some reason. Would never happen for obvious reasons, but it would be cool if we could have bi-weekly reports who has offered and why, and why not to those who don't get offered. The idea would be to learn some of the other in and outs of football recruiting. That would also lead to more complaining, but for obvious reasons this would never take place. No sense tipping off the competition.

Coaches can't comment on any particular recruit until after they sign their LOI.

I personally think Alston is a player, but after looking at the roster I can see why he wouldn't get an offer. We have zero senior DEs. Devers, Gibson, Mafe, DeLattiboudere, and Esezi are all DEs, with Gibson a JR being the eldest member. I didn't even count some of the guys who could play DE or DT, like Schirck and Hickox. Plus they have one verbal from a DE already in Okonji.

I personally think Alston is a player, but after looking at the roster I can see why he wouldn't get an offer. We have zero senior DEs. Devers, Gibson, Mafe, DeLattiboudere, and Esezi are all DEs, with Gibson a JR being the eldest member. I didn't even count some of the guys who could play DE or DT, like Schirck and Hickox. Plus they have one verbal from a DE already in Okonji.

This make a lot of sense in terms of positions of need (DE, TE, DT). However, I'd sure hate it if he signs with WI.

I'm assuming you're talking about this guy: http://247sports.com/Player/Mayan-Ahanotu-94568

Yep - didn't want to butcher his name from my memory but that's the guy. Really interesting offer list that doesn't jive with his low three star rating, somewhat reminiscent of Sapp coming back from the knee issues. Looks like all his big offers are recent, however. Perhaps just waiting on a reevaluation.

Looks like he took an unofficial here already in April and has visited Oklahoma as well. The fact that he's coming back for a second visit is obviously very favorable.

Don't use CB for the crystal ball thing, it's confusing.

I think PJF is making every effort to give instate kids a shot with the Gophers, but they have to fit into his system. However, David Alston looks like someone who I can picture wearing the M&G.

Don't use CB for the crystal ball thing, it's confusing.

This is a football sforum dammit, CB means corner back. CB for crystal ball is very confusing I agree...

This is a football sforum dammit, CB means corner back. CB for crystal ball is very confusing I agree...

If y'all can't read for context, I fear for the value of my degree.

If y'all can't read for context, I fear for the value of my degree.

Assuming one follows recruiting sites enough to know that they use the phrase crystal ball.

I have no problem with abbreviations.

Top Bottom