Lakeville North OL Nathan Boe Commits to the Gophers!

DanielHouse

Reaction score
The Gophers have received a commitment from Lakeville North guard/center Nathan Boe. He chose Minnesota over offers from Northern Illinois, Northern Iowa, South Dakota St., and Western Illinois. The 2018 recruiting class now has 17 commitments and is ranked 17th nationally, according to 24/7 Sports.

Boe is a very physical offensive lineman who plays through the whistle on a consistent basis. His mean streak comes through on tape, especially in the running game. He is most successful when he stays low and is exploding with high hands to get inside position. Boe has a tendency to play tall and it gets him into trouble as a pass protector. However, this appears to be a consistency issue. In addition, he doesn't have the lightest footwork and struggles more with speedy interior defensive lineman. This can be addressed as he focuses on the small details at the next level, such as hand placement and footwork. At 6-foot-4, 255 pounds, Boe has perfect size to play inside and needs to be polished in the smaller details of the game. I see him being a developmental project for the future as he continues to evolve from a fundamental standpoint.

Here's his tape: http://www.hudl.com/video/3/4191623/583e74fadfd8b81378d04260

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

And some on this board were bitching about Fleck not taking enough Minnesota kids. Seems to me he's been taking as many as he can that are capable and fit his vision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the offer, and DH's report on him seems very accurate, at least to me. He does not always play too high, but he is inconsistent.

And some on this board were bitching about Fleck not taking enough Minnesota kids. Seems to me he's been taking as many as he can that are capable and fit his vision.

Agreed! People (e.g. trolls like "a slab of bacon") on this board bitch about EVERYTHING! I like the offer and commit! #RTB

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Congrats Nathan! Welcome to Gopher Country. Is this an indication that we are out of the running for Oyenmwen Uzebu who decommitted earlier?

Does anybody know anything about Elk River 6' 3" OT Ronnie Audette? Is he considered too short o be a B1G OT?

[URL="http://minnesota.247sports.com/Season/2018-Football/Recruits?Player.Enabled=True&Player.Hometown.State.Key=sa_28&Recruitment.Enabled=False"]http://minnesota.247sports.com/Season/2018-Football/Recruits?Player.Enabled=True&Player.Hometown.State.Key=sa_28&Recruitment.Enabled=False[/URL]

Well, I did express concern earlier that he didn't seem committed to it. Also said I hope he follows through and he seems to be. I'm very happy with this commit.

Congrats Nathan! Welcome to Gopher Country. Is this an indication that we are out of the running for Oyenmwen Uzebu who decommitted earlier?

Does anybody know anything about Elk River 6' 3" OT Ronnie Audette? Is he considered too short o be a B1G OT?

[URL="http://minnesota.247sports.com/Season/2018-Football/Recruits?Player.Enabled=True&Player.Hometown.State.Key=sa_28&Recruitment.Enabled=False"]http://minnesota.247sports.com/Season/2018-Football/Recruits?Player.Enabled=True&Player.Hometown.State.Key=sa_28&Recruitment.Enabled=False[/URL]

Curious about Ronnie Audette myself. I have watched him play many times in games vs our home HS. He is a man out there but I also wonder if he is just not long enough or ?

Not to derail this thread but I've seen this post a few times now. 6'3" is probably too short to play OT but easily is tall enough to play an interior spot.

It's funny. They're so stupid that they think nobody knows they're trolls. LMFAO!!

MplsGopherFan: Agreed! People (e.g. trolls like "a slab of bacon") on this board bitch about EVERYTHING

Hmmm

In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal, on-topic discussion,[3] often for the troll's amusement

Unprovoked attacks, off topic...

Love cliches but this one fits: "You can't coach nasty."

I think Wade Sullivan ran for almost 2,000 yards last year & scored 33 touchdowns....so someone was blocking for him. Not a great offer list but good potential and should develop once he gains strength. I'm going to trust Fleck and his staff until they prove unworthy.

I think Wade Sullivan ran for almost 2,000 yards last year & scored 33 touchdowns....so someone was blocking for him. Not a great offer list but good potential and should develop once he gains strength. I'm going to trust Fleck and his staff until they prove unworthy.

So in back to back recruiting classes, we've added two OL who blocked for smallish backs that put up pretty similar numbers in 2016

Wade Sullivan, Lakeville North (5-8, 170): 1,900 yards, 33 TDs (OL Nathan Boe)
Jefferson Lee V, Marshall (5-9, 185): 1,868 yards, 38 TDs (OL Blaise Andries)

Don't know that this tells us anything, but it's just interesting the similarity

Love cliches but this one fits: "You can't coach nasty."

His teammate who was a Sophmore last year has offers from the Gophers and UCLA among others.

The question is... will Nathan Boe be elevated to a three star now that he officially has a D1 offer?

Welcome and great to see Lakeville on the map again with the Gophers!

Has Audette camped with them?

I think this may have already been addressed somewhere, but am I correct in believing that Fleck's system likes O Linemen who are slightly smaller but more mobile? I seem to remember reading that he likes linemen who can pull as a lead blocker, and also move well enough to get into second level of defense and block LB's.

So, signing a kid who weighs 255 in high school is not necessarily a problem - assuming they want the kid playing at 280-ish as opposed to 300+. And, I know Fleck raves about his strength and conditioning coach. (then again, every head coach raves about his S & C program.....)

I think this may have already been addressed somewhere, but am I correct in believing that Fleck's system likes O Linemen who are slightly smaller but more mobile? I seem to remember reading that he likes linemen who can pull as a lead blocker, and also move well enough to get into second level of defense and block LB's.

Tried doing an online search but came up empty. Wonder if an old Sports Huddle would be where that came up?

Wouldn't one think that Fleck will go for a little bit larger linemen in the B1G then when he coached in the MAC when he can keep the speed and agility?

So, signing a kid who weighs 255 in high school is not necessarily a problem - assuming they want the kid playing at 280-ish as opposed to 300+. And, I know Fleck raves about his strength and conditioning coach. (then again, every head coach raves about his S & C program.....)

I wouldn't consider the OL he had drafted to be small. Willie Beavers: 6'5" 322, Taylor Moton 6'5" 319, and Chukwuma Okorafor will be drafted this year and he's 6'6" 330.

A lot of players can put on 50 lbs after getting into a college strength and conditioning program. Happens all the time, especially at places like Iowa.

I like offers that come out of camps, they are seeing these guys first hand, they are seeing how coachable they are, they are able to evaluate whether they will fit into their system. Welcome aboard Nathan!

I like offers that come out of camps, they are seeing these guys first hand, they are seeing how coachable they are, they are able to evaluate whether they will fit into their system. Welcome aboard Nathan!

Also presumably they get a feel if the kid really does want to come here or not.

Top Bottom