Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Some Day...Maybe View Post
    And some on this board were bitching about Fleck not taking enough Minnesota kids. Seems to me he's been taking as many as he can that are capable and fit his vision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I trust Warinner totally, and will never complain about taking an MN kid....but aren't a lot of the people claiming "see trolls" on this one, the same guys that would've had a meltdown if the previous regime brought in a 2-star? "Can't recruit etc."

I better disclaim that I am very happy Fleck is our head coach at the moment, before JohnnyBoy goes on another troll witch hunt. Just pointing out the duality of it all.
    Last edited by Heracles; 06-19-2017 at 06:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Heracles View Post
    I trust Warinner totally, and will never complain about taking an MN kid....but aren't a lot of the people claiming "see trolls" on this one, the same guys that would've had a meltdown if the previous regime brought in a 2-star? "Can't recruit etc."

I better disclaim that I am very happy Fleck is our head coach at the moment, before JohnnyBoy goes on another troll witch hunt. Just pointing out the duality of it all.
    Yep...definitely not lost on many posters.

3. Default

the same guys that would've had a meltdown if the previous regime brought in a 2-star? "Can't recruit etc."
    I think a lot of people give new coaches a lot more leeway on that topic when they're new and Warinner gets bonus leeway.

Quote Originally Posted by A_Slab_of_Bacon View Post
    I think a lot of people give new coaches a lot more leeway on that topic when they're new and Warinner gets bonus leeway.
    Why would it be justified to give new coaches more leeway - especially when the previous coaches were proven to "overachieve" with recruits? Either you think rankings matter, or you don't. Can't have it both ways.

I'm one of the 4-5

Quote Originally Posted by Spoofin View Post
    Why would it be justified to give new coaches more leeway - especially when the previous coaches were proven to "overachieve" with recruits? Either you think rankings matter, or you don't. Can't have it both ways.

You can't rank culture.

6. Default

It's more about not knowing how good the new coach is at picking / coaching croots. Maybe the new coaches are better than the last ones at it. Until I see some results I can't know what they're going to get out of the guys they pick.

Well... at least I can't, I guess some folks feel they can.

He may be a 2*, but he's an elite 2* so welcome aboard the row boat!

The perception of the previous staff, at least partly justified, was that they took a lot of recruits without other P5 offers and even said out loud that they want to be in recruiting battles that they can dominate. Fleck is clearly willing to go toe-to-toe with other P5 schools for recruits, so when he makes a camp offer, he is more likely to receive the benefit of the doubt at this stage that they kid is a player and we're not settling for someone who is just "good enough."

9. Default

Troll witch hunt? Wut

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by mkAz View Post
    Has Audette camped with them?
    Yes he has, however he wasn't fully able to participate due to recovering from injuries.

11. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Pompous Elitist View Post
    Hmmm

In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal, on-topic discussion,[3] often for the troll's amusement

Unprovoked attacks, off topic...
    Wade has unbelievable vision and quickness. It sure didn't hurt to have TWO DI guys creating holes. Boe and Benhardt ('19). Benhardt added a Bucky offer a few weeks ago in addition to Gophs.

I would give a little more leeway because Fleck and staff may not have long relationships with some of the guys they're offering.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyboy18 View Post
    Troll witch hunt? Wut

As much as we might like to believe, recruiting is not an exact science. no matter what evaluation system you use, you are still projecting how a 16- or 17-year-old kid is going to develop, and what kind of player they're going to be in 2 or 3 or even 4 years.

And, I would say, the better the recruit, the easier it is to project. I am not a football expert, but I can watch Blaise Andries play and see that he has the potential to be a good college lineman.

It's the in-between kids that are the hardest to project. the undersized linemen or skill position guys; the kid who may be a half-step slower, but has a high FB I.Q. Also, trying to project what kids are going to look like or play like after 2 or 3 years in a college-level strength and conditioning program.

My point: no coaching staff is perfect. every recruiting class will include a few kids who don't pan out and every class will include a kid or two who exceed expectations. And that is especially true for a program like MN that is not a traditional Helmet School.

I suggest we all take a deep breath, step back, and wait to see what happens. the final story will not be written on some of these kids for several years.

Quote Originally Posted by FissileGopher View Post
    Yes he has, however he wasn't fully able to participate due to recovering from injuries.
    Must have been training with last years S&C coach