Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Quote Originally Posted by Spoofin View Post
    Why would it be justified to give new coaches more leeway - especially when the previous coaches were proven to "overachieve" with recruits? Either you think rankings matter, or you don't. Can't have it both ways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The old regime overachieved with recruits in some positions, and underachieved at others. I think it's safe to say the old regime underachieved with O-linemen, or at least it would be hard to argue that they overachieved. Even at previous coaching jobs the old regime never had much success with olinemen. The new regime has shown a knack for turning out nfl linemen despite the short track record.

Quote Originally Posted by btowngopher View Post
    The old regime overachieved with recruits in some positions, and underachieved at others. I think it's safe to say the old regime underachieved with O-linemen, or at least it would be hard to argue that they overachieved. Even at previous coaching jobs the old regime never had much success with olinemen. The new regime has shown a knack for turning out nfl linemen despite the short track record.
    So, I think what you are saying is that you can't rely on recruiting rankings and instead should trust the coaches. I agree.

I'm one of the 4-5

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by mkAz View Post
    I like offers that come out of camps, they are seeing these guys first hand, they are seeing how coachable they are, they are able to evaluate whether they will fit into their system. Welcome aboard Nathan!
    I'm with you on this one.

I also will state that I'm a Minnesota guy through and through. Nothing I hate more than seeing a kid go to the Hawks or Becky because they didn't get offered. I'm 100% of the belief that if a kid fits the system and all things being equal you take the local kid every single time. You have to seal the borders. Some will disagree with me on that point but that's the main reason that I love college football, lots of local kids trying their best to make the hometown area proud.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoofin View Post
    So, I think what you are saying is that you can't rely on recruiting rankings and instead should trust the coaches. I agree.

Kind of. I mean yes Sawvel could take 2/3 star DBs and make them into some of the best in the conference, but I would think that he could have done even more with higher ranked guys.

Sorry if this was mentioned earlier but this kid is now a 3 star on 247.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vandy View Post
    "Anybody can be a Viking fan, dad. It takes someone special to be a Gopher fan" .....Quote from my Son.

Quote Originally Posted by West Fargo Gopher Fan View Post
    Must be due to the Gophers offer.

Quote Originally Posted by West Fargo Gopher Fan View Post
    Thank Goodness.

I'm one of the 4-5

Quote Originally Posted by zman View Post
    Must be due to the Gophers offer.
    In a few years, a Gopher offer will give a kid an automatic 4 star.... how is that for optimism?

Quote Originally Posted by NotAFanOfBecky View Post
    I'm with you on this one.

I also will state that I'm a Minnesota guy through and through. Nothing I hate more than seeing a kid go to the Hawks or Becky because they didn't get offered. I'm 100% of the belief that if a kid fits the system and all things being equal you take the local kid every single time. You have to seal the borders. Some will disagree with me on that point but that's the main reason that I love college football, lots of local kids trying their best to make the hometown area proud.
    I'm all for taking local kids - if they deserve it. If two kids are equal - take the MN kid. If a kid from OH or GA is clearly better than the MN kid, then take the kid from OH or GA. the goal is to get the best kids you can. Let's face it - it may be a cliche but it's often true - you can get linemen from MN, but your skill players are going to come from out of state about 90% of the time. (if not more).

I don't think I've ever seen anyone criticize Smith or Brooks for not being from MN. If an outstate kid comes to MN and does the job, we love him regardless of where he was born. In face, in some ways, there's more pressure on the in-state kids to produce. In some cases, I think the MN kids get held to a different standard.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by short ornery norwegian View Post
    I'm all for taking local kids - if they deserve it. If two kids are equal - take the MN kid. If a kid from OH or GA is clearly better than the MN kid, then take the kid from OH or GA. the goal is to get the best kids you can. Let's face it - it may be a cliche but it's often true - you can get linemen from MN, but your skill players are going to come from out of state about 90% of the time. (if not more).

I don't think I've ever seen anyone criticize Smith or Brooks for not being from MN. If an outstate kid comes to MN and does the job, we love him regardless of where he was born. In face, in some ways, there's more pressure on the in-state kids to produce. In some cases, I think the MN kids get held to a different standard.
    I agree with you on pretty much everything. I think there is an added pressure for the in state kids, which is too bad. I kind of give them the benefit of the doubt n that regard. I also agree that a lot of the skill players come from out of state. Once a kid is enrolled at the U and in the program I agree I think it doesn't matter where they are from. However, I think most if not all of you agree with me and love seeing the successes of the local kids such as all time greats Barber and Decker, recent successes like Sheed, Maxx, big Jonah and now Tyler Johnson. I just can't stand a local kid going going to BiG rivals and having success. For some reason I'm much less bothered when they go to other non BiG programs like Norte Dame.