Lakeville North OL Nathan Boe Commits to the Gophers!

And some on this board were bitching about Fleck not taking enough Minnesota kids. Seems to me he's been taking as many as he can that are capable and fit his vision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I trust Warinner totally, and will never complain about taking an MN kid....but aren't a lot of the people claiming "see trolls" on this one, the same guys that would've had a meltdown if the previous regime brought in a 2-star? "Can't recruit etc."

I better disclaim that I am very happy Fleck is our head coach at the moment, before JohnnyBoy goes on another troll witch hunt. Just pointing out the duality of it all.

I trust Warinner totally, and will never complain about taking an MN kid....but aren't a lot of the people claiming "see trolls" on this one, the same guys that would've had a meltdown if the previous regime brought in a 2-star? "Can't recruit etc."

I better disclaim that I am very happy Fleck is our head coach at the moment, before JohnnyBoy goes on another troll witch hunt. Just pointing out the duality of it all.

Yep...definitely not lost on many posters.

the same guys that would've had a meltdown if the previous regime brought in a 2-star? "Can't recruit etc."

I think a lot of people give new coaches a lot more leeway on that topic when they're new and Warinner gets bonus leeway.

I think a lot of people give new coaches a lot more leeway on that topic when they're new and Warinner gets bonus leeway.

Why would it be justified to give new coaches more leeway - especially when the previous coaches were proven to "overachieve" with recruits? Either you think rankings matter, or you don't. Can't have it both ways.

Why would it be justified to give new coaches more leeway - especially when the previous coaches were proven to "overachieve" with recruits? Either you think rankings matter, or you don't. Can't have it both ways.

You can't rank culture.

It's more about not knowing how good the new coach is at picking / coaching croots. Maybe the new coaches are better than the last ones at it. Until I see some results I can't know what they're going to get out of the guys they pick.

Well... at least I can't, I guess some folks feel they can.

He may be a 2*, but he's an elite 2* so welcome aboard the row boat!

The perception of the previous staff, at least partly justified, was that they took a lot of recruits without other P5 offers and even said out loud that they want to be in recruiting battles that they can dominate. Fleck is clearly willing to go toe-to-toe with other P5 schools for recruits, so when he makes a camp offer, he is more likely to receive the benefit of the doubt at this stage that they kid is a player and we're not settling for someone who is just "good enough."

Troll witch hunt? Wut

Hmmm

In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal, on-topic discussion,[3] often for the troll's amusement

Unprovoked attacks, off topic...

Wade has unbelievable vision and quickness. It sure didn't hurt to have TWO DI guys creating holes. Boe and Benhardt ('19). Benhardt added a Bucky offer a few weeks ago in addition to Gophs.

I would give a little more leeway because Fleck and staff may not have long relationships with some of the guys they're offering.

Troll witch hunt? Wut
[emoji56]
7e93b00b59aa18d4ab168053f459f90a.gif

As much as we might like to believe, recruiting is not an exact science. no matter what evaluation system you use, you are still projecting how a 16- or 17-year-old kid is going to develop, and what kind of player they're going to be in 2 or 3 or even 4 years.

And, I would say, the better the recruit, the easier it is to project. I am not a football expert, but I can watch Blaise Andries play and see that he has the potential to be a good college lineman.

It's the in-between kids that are the hardest to project. the undersized linemen or skill position guys; the kid who may be a half-step slower, but has a high FB I.Q. Also, trying to project what kids are going to look like or play like after 2 or 3 years in a college-level strength and conditioning program.

My point: no coaching staff is perfect. every recruiting class will include a few kids who don't pan out and every class will include a kid or two who exceed expectations. And that is especially true for a program like MN that is not a traditional Helmet School.

I suggest we all take a deep breath, step back, and wait to see what happens. the final story will not be written on some of these kids for several years.

The old regime overachieved with recruits in some positions, and underachieved at others. I think it's safe to say the old regime underachieved with O-linemen, or at least it would be hard to argue that they overachieved. Even at previous coaching jobs the old regime never had much success with olinemen. The new regime has shown a knack for turning out nfl linemen despite the short track record.

The old regime overachieved with recruits in some positions, and underachieved at others. I think it's safe to say the old regime underachieved with O-linemen, or at least it would be hard to argue that they overachieved. Even at previous coaching jobs the old regime never had much success with olinemen. The new regime has shown a knack for turning out nfl linemen despite the short track record.

So, I think what you are saying is that you can't rely on recruiting rankings and instead should trust the coaches. I agree.

I like offers that come out of camps, they are seeing these guys first hand, they are seeing how coachable they are, they are able to evaluate whether they will fit into their system. Welcome aboard Nathan!

I'm with you on this one.

I also will state that I'm a Minnesota guy through and through. Nothing I hate more than seeing a kid go to the Hawks or Becky because they didn't get offered. I'm 100% of the belief that if a kid fits the system and all things being equal you take the local kid every single time. You have to seal the borders. Some will disagree with me on that point but that's the main reason that I love college football, lots of local kids trying their best to make the hometown area proud.

So, I think what you are saying is that you can't rely on recruiting rankings and instead should trust the coaches. I agree.

Kind of. I mean yes Sawvel could take 2/3 star DBs and make them into some of the best in the conference, but I would think that he could have done even more with higher ranked guys.

Must be due to the Gophers offer.

In a few years, a Gopher offer will give a kid an automatic 4 star.... how is that for optimism?

I'm with you on this one.

I also will state that I'm a Minnesota guy through and through. Nothing I hate more than seeing a kid go to the Hawks or Becky because they didn't get offered. I'm 100% of the belief that if a kid fits the system and all things being equal you take the local kid every single time. You have to seal the borders. Some will disagree with me on that point but that's the main reason that I love college football, lots of local kids trying their best to make the hometown area proud.

I'm all for taking local kids - if they deserve it. If two kids are equal - take the MN kid. If a kid from OH or GA is clearly better than the MN kid, then take the kid from OH or GA. the goal is to get the best kids you can. Let's face it - it may be a cliche but it's often true - you can get linemen from MN, but your skill players are going to come from out of state about 90% of the time. (if not more).

I don't think I've ever seen anyone criticize Smith or Brooks for not being from MN. If an outstate kid comes to MN and does the job, we love him regardless of where he was born. In face, in some ways, there's more pressure on the in-state kids to produce. In some cases, I think the MN kids get held to a different standard.

I'm all for taking local kids - if they deserve it. If two kids are equal - take the MN kid. If a kid from OH or GA is clearly better than the MN kid, then take the kid from OH or GA. the goal is to get the best kids you can. Let's face it - it may be a cliche but it's often true - you can get linemen from MN, but your skill players are going to come from out of state about 90% of the time. (if not more).

I don't think I've ever seen anyone criticize Smith or Brooks for not being from MN. If an outstate kid comes to MN and does the job, we love him regardless of where he was born. In face, in some ways, there's more pressure on the in-state kids to produce. In some cases, I think the MN kids get held to a different standard.

I agree with you on pretty much everything. I think there is an added pressure for the in state kids, which is too bad. I kind of give them the benefit of the doubt n that regard. I also agree that a lot of the skill players come from out of state. Once a kid is enrolled at the U and in the program I agree I think it doesn't matter where they are from. However, I think most if not all of you agree with me and love seeing the successes of the local kids such as all time greats Barber and Decker, recent successes like Sheed, Maxx, big Jonah and now Tyler Johnson. I just can't stand a local kid going going to BiG rivals and having success. For some reason I'm much less bothered when they go to other non BiG programs like Norte Dame.

per Greder:

Nathan Boe’s scholarship offer to be in Minnesota’s 2018 recruiting class came down to a one-on-one drill during a camp in June.

The Lakeville North center went against other prospective recruits in a board drill, where after a ball is snap, two players must straddle a long and narrow material laid on the ground while blocking/fighting off the block until one is deemed the winner.

The Gophers coaches kept putting Boe in the drill. He didn’t back down and plowed into his competition across five or six straight reps.

Later in coach P.J. Fleck’s office, Boe recalled how the Gophers head coach said he and offensive coordinator Kirk Ciarrocca had a quick conversation on the field as Boe battled. One of them said he wasn’t leaving until Boe quit. They conferred and decided that wasn’t likely to happened, so the drill was called off in order for everyone to go home and celebrate Father’s Day a little sooner.

Boe was offered a scholarship and committed that same day. The 6-foot-4, 270-pound player is one of five Minnesotans in the Gophers’ incoming class. Although Boe might be the lowest-rated recruit, per 247sports.com’s composite ranking, he makes up for it in heart.

“That speaks to the Gophers but also to Nathan Boe,” said Lakeville North coach Brian Vossen. “That is kind of the type of dude he is. He will keep pounding his head in there over and and over and over again and never stop.”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/12/16/lakeville-north-a-focal-point-in-gophers-football-recruiting/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom