Please help me understand? What draws you to the NFL/Vikings?

Reaction score
Everybody knows my disdain for the Vikings. Help me understand. Is it:
1. The skill level of play?
2. The NFL hype? (It has replaced baseball as the National pastime)
3. The rivalries? ( Bears, Packers, etc)
4. The crowd atmosphere? ( more rowdy, jet set fans, lots of crazies, etc.)
5. The grand prize of getting to the Super Bowl?
6. My age, the Gophers have never been relavent in my lifetime.
7. I have no aligience to the U
8. The history of both programs? ( Vikings have been to 4 Super Bowls )
9. The Vikings are the "in thing" to do. The Gophers are the baby boomers crowd.
10. I just don't like college football.
Summary: I know there are fans of both on this site. One reason I'm asking the question my daughter and I were fishing the Walleye Whamma Tournament in Babbitt last week. We both had
" Row the Boat " t- shirts on and several people asked what it meant. One lady though my daughter was a member for the U rowing team. Another reason is we stopped at Tanks Bar in Babbitt afterwards for a beer. They already had Viking schedules up and were promoting a Viking Bus trip for the first pre-season game. I asked him if I brought him a Gopher schedule would be put it up?
He said yes, but followed with: " You do know this is Viking and Packer country" I asked him what he thought of PJ Fleck and he said: " Don't know, but someone said he sounds like that Brewster guy" Would appreciate comments on the topic less any bad mouthing. Help me understand the Viking mystic?

I can't help. CFB is my favorite sport. NFL football ranks near the bottom. I hope the Vikings win, but don't even watch most games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't help. CFB is my favorite sport. NFL football ranks near the bottom. I hope the Vikings win, but don't even watch most games.

My thoughts exactly. I will never disparage anyone for being a Vikings fan, though (not saying you do, Spoof, just adding my own thoughts) as I was a HUGE Vikings fan in junior high and high school - basically the entire Denny Green era. As I got older, however, I just started seeing the Vikings (and all professional sports teams really) as private corporations that happen to reside in the state of Minnesota and got kind of sick of it. Even though college sports are beginning to look more and more like corporations, at least I know the University of Minnesota is ours and never leaving...it's a lot easier to have pride, IMO.

I guess to answer the OP's question - this is what used to draw me to the Vikings: I grew up in a household that, outside of hockey, wasn't overtly "pro-Gopher." I enjoyed football, and the Vikings were just easier to follow/watch - being mainly pre-Internet and pre-ubiquitous ESPN/BTN/Aggie-Vision televising of all Gopher games.

Everybody knows my disdain for the Vikings. Help me understand. Is it:
1. The skill level of play?
2. The NFL hype? (It has replaced baseball as the National pastime)
3. The rivalries? ( Bears, Packers, etc)
4. The crowd atmosphere? ( more rowdy, jet set fans, lots of crazies, etc.)
5. The grand prize of getting to the Super Bowl?
6. My age, the Gophers have never been relavent in my lifetime.
7. I have no aligience to the U
8. The history of both programs? ( Vikings have been to 4 Super Bowls )
9. The Vikings are the "in thing" to do. The Gophers are the baby boomers crowd.
10. I just don't like college football.
Summary: I know there are fans of both on this site. One reason I'm asking the question my daughter and I were fishing the Walleye Whamma Tournament in Babbitt last week. We both had
" Row the Boat " t- shirts on and several people asked what it meant. One lady though my daughter was a member for the U rowing team. Another reason is we stopped at Tanks Bar in Babbitt afterwards for a beer. They already had Viking schedules up and were promoting a Viking Bus trip for the first pre-season game. I asked him if I brought him a Gopher schedule would be put it up?
He said yes, but followed with: " You do know this is Viking and Packer country" I asked him what he thought of PJ Fleck and he said: " Don't know, but someone said he sounds like that Brewster guy" Would appreciate comments on the topic less any bad mouthing. Help me understand the Viking mystic?

I became a Viking fan first. First football play I remember watching was Ahmad Rashad's catch. I was hooked as a Vikings fan from that point.
NFL was on TV more when I grew up. MNF was big. We would watch highlights to see if they would show anything from the Vikings during halftime.

My first Gopher football memory was sitting on a tractor with the radio on listening to the Gophers get run over by Nebraska 84-13.

It was evident early on that the Vikings were a more successful program and was more important than college.

The NFL recently has been losing my attention. There is too much hype about the NFL. A couple hours of pregame with various experts sharing opinions on what facet of the game will be most important, only to see some play at the end of the game make a difference. It just hours of pregame are pretty much meaningless. Also, every year you can go into the NFL season and know half the playoff teams based on who their QB's are.

1. The skill level of the NFL is better. Most of the QB's who start can complete 20 yard passes. That's not a given in college.
2. The hype is a net negative for the NFL.
3. The rivalries are similar. Gophers trying to beat the Badgers is probably bigger now to Gopher fans than the Vikings beating the Packers.
4. I don't go to many games in person. NFL is too expensive for what it is, and the product is better on TV. The next football game I pay to see will be the Gophers, not the Vikings.
5. Any year that the Vikings are NFL contenders, it trumps college football. Part of it is longer season, anticipation of playoffs, and the whole idea of finally breaking the Vikings curse. I can't really think of a Gopher season where I looked forward to a Bowl Game.
6. Gophers hadn't been relevant for most of my life. The Mason years seemed great because for the first time in my life, we actually competed against the OSU, Penn St, and Michigan. Sure, we still lost most, but we started to give them a game, vs just another blowout.
7. I almost went to the U, but didn't. But I've always been a fan of the Gophers (basketball especially) dating back to their Big Ten Title, double over time win vs Iowa.
8. Vikings have been "more successful". Made playoffs more frequently than Gophers made Bowl Games until Rick Spielman arrived.
9. Gopher crowd seemed older. Hopefully PJ creates a new buzz.
10. I enjoy college football more than the pro's now. Any team's first or second loss is huge (eliminating them from the Championship) vs the NFL where you can lose 6-8 games out of 16 and still make the playoffs.

My thoughts exactly. I will never disparage anyone for being a Vikings fan, though (not saying you do, Spoof, just adding my own thoughts) as I was a HUGE Vikings fan in junior high and high school - basically the entire Denny Green era. As I got older, however, I just started seeing the Vikings (and all professional sports teams really) as private corporations that happen to reside in the state of Minnesota and got kind of sick of it. Even though college sports are beginning to look more and more like corporations, at least I know the University of Minnesota is ours and never leaving...it's a lot easier to have pride, IMO.

I guess to answer the OP's question - this is what used to draw me to the Vikings: I grew up in a household that, outside of hockey, wasn't overtly "pro-Gopher." I enjoyed football, and the Vikings were just easier to follow/watch - being mainly pre-Internet and pre-ubiquitous ESPN/BTN/Aggie-Vision televising of all Gopher games.

Pretty much all of that. The players are mercenaries (and many loudly abdicate their responsibility to be role models-and teams and fans look the other way) and the owners unlikable leeches. Red McCombs was my first clue what it was all about and that has deepened over the years. Terrible stadium "deals", threats to move teams. Look at the Rams, Chargers, Raiders just in the last year-all those fans left at the altar. These teams are excellent moneymaking vehicles for the cabal of owners and their attendant pals in related businesses. Don't get me started on the Fake PR efforts like the effort in 2010 to get the Saints to the Super Bowl. That was the final straw for me.

The Oackers have the only situation that comes close to what college football fans enjoy. I love everything about college football even if it's getting a little more boorish and uncomfortable every year with the high money involved.

My football interest goes back to pre Viking days when Gopher football was #1 here in MN. As for my interest it still is!
The owner of the Vikings is not a Minnesotan as most connected with the team. It's a business that just happens to be here because we built a stadium for them and Minnesotians buy seat license's etc. If they
start to lose money they will be gone! Contract with he City or not.

Not the Gophers! Thick or thin, win or lose they are my interest and team.

Ignoring all of the obvious reasons that makes football so popular. The Vikings are the football team that gets all of the coverage, most all of games are on free national TV, every sportscaster talks about them, etc. They draw in all of the casual fans, it is impossible not to hear all of the hype about the Vikings. You have to work at being a college football fan in a pro-sports town.

I love the Vikings for the same reason I love the Gophers: I grew up in Minnesota surrounded by friends and family who loved both. I sat with my dad on Saturdays watching (or listening to) Gopher games and then did the same on Sunday for the Vikings. I devote most of my time and energy to following the Gophers (recruiting news, Gopherhole discussion, traveling to games, etc.), but I still watch every Vikings game and occasionally check out message boards during training camp and draft season.

I've never understood why the two are mutually exclusive, but I'm also only 38 years old and wasn't around during the pre-Vikings day when Gopher football ruled the town. I understand the argument that a pro team dilutes media coverage and available entertainment dollars. That said, there were many other factors that contributed to the program's slow demise: integration, year round high school football in the South, scholarship limits, the Metrodome, unsupportive university administrations, funding issues, poor coaching, and decades of a horrible product. I'll continue rooting hard for both teams to be big winners.

While in kindergarten the Vikings lost their last Super Bowl and during the same time the Gophers started on their downword spiral it's why a slight nod goes to the purple. Don't get me wrong I still follow my two favorite teams the Vikings and Gophers but my passion for the game of association football has flown way past all other sports. I make time for 6 soccer games a week while I only watch the Vikings and Gophers on my DVR to avoid all the commericals.

Gopher fan before Vikings arrived - dad was an alum. But television coverage was limited - those fuzzy black and white recaps on Sunday mornings wouldn't come till later. Lived outstate but only took one or two trips to Memorial stadium to seal the deal. However, the Vikings were more accessible. Bud Grant was the stoic, iconic coach that was very likable. His teams played disciplined, hard-nose football and didn't crow too much about it. As cable expanded and more and more NFL games were televised it was too easy to get drawn in. In the meantime, it was hard to talk Gopher Football with friends or acquaintances - it was like another language.

As many have mentioned already, the bizniz side of the pro game has just caught up with it - carpet-bagging owners, rent-a-players and the over-the-top manufactured excitement at the stadiums (not to mention the creeping PC BS - see Kapernick and ESPN) has tempered my enthusiasm for that game.

So now an unabashed CFB fan and perhaps always will be. Spouse attended a school from another P5 conference and have started attending games in other parts of the country as well. The traditions, the rivalries and memories of plays and games has just worn into my fabric - and heck, I even look good in maroon!

The NFL owns Sunday, and we catch a game or two after putting away tailgating items in the fall, but that game is becoming background noise.

The video linked below explains the fan fervor of a whole generation. Randall Cunningham to Randy Moss. Jeff George to Randy Moss. Small Hands Culpepper to Randy Moss.

Watching this video it is striking not only for the superlative skill of Randy but the comparisons of his QBs and their superlative abilities. Cunningham and that deep ball. Jeff George (his highlights start at 1:40) had effortless velocity on his throws - truly extraordinary skill. Too bad he had a two star head. The Gus Frerotte experience. Culpepper had to put a little more body into his small-handed throws but still a good QB.

Sorry I can't embed -denied by NFL. I can link to YouTube though. A fun watch that brought back memories.

https://youtu.be/1Q7lGl_EfbE

2. The hype is a net negative for the NFL.

Absolutely wrong.

It is precisely the hype and persistence of NFL advertising and programming that has made it as huge as it is right now.

The Left Turn League (NASCAR) was huge just a few years ago, and due to the advertising and programming you could not ignore that fact. For the life of me, I can't understand why anyone would watch that "sport" but it got where it was through advertising.

It's football.

Can't a person just be a football fan, no matter the league, school/team, coach, players, etc?

I'm a Vikes fan (much larger Gopher fan).

Why?

It's football and I love watching football. It's also the highest level of football. That's about it for me.

As far as why I like the Gophers more, well it's the connection that I have to the U. It's more of a shared experience with a college team, as an alum, than it is with a pro team for me.

I grew up loving the Vikes. I still love the Vikes, but it is in spite of the Wilf's and the NFL. I hate the NFL fans who thinks it's the only thing worth watching. I hate the entitlement of NFL owners to expect taxpayers to pay for stadiums and then ask those same taxpayers to work for free at your stupid Super Bowl. I hate the constant moving of franchises that alienate the fans that made you just to make a few more bucks. I just hate the culture of the NFL. I love the purple, but it makes it difficult to be all in when there is so much about the league that I dislike. The NFL being the best overall product in the world isn't enough for me to blindly ignore everything around it anymore.

The NCAA and Gopher Athletics share some, maybe even most, of those same faults but with 1 big difference. My Gopher fandom is much larger because it feels like my team. Gopher Tickets don't take up 3 months of my entertainment budget in 1 game. My Gophers don't play in a billion dollar stadium. I don't have a degree from the Vikings. The Vikings didn't come over to applaud me after each win like the Gophers did when I was a student. I didn't see Adrian Peterson in my classes. Mike Zimmer hasn't given me an open invitation to stop by the football facility any time. Soccer and college athletics are the only times where I feel a deeper connection to the team that makes it feel like I'm a part of something more and am more than just a dollar sign to them. I know ultimately at the end of the day I am just a dollar sign, but they don't make me feel like one which makes a big difference.

I type all of this as both a diehard Gophers and Vikings fan. I was raised with both, my Dad and my brothers are diehards of both, I have a little one that is a year and a half now with a second on the way that I will raise as both too. Saturdays are about the Gophers, Sundays are for the Vikings.

Speaking as a fan of both, what I think really irks the Gopher fanbase is the lack of knowledgeable cover and the trolling, but also the double standards. Ruppert, this may or not be true for you so correct me if I’m wrong but when I do read posts from you, I get this underlying feeling of you (and many other posters here) can’t stand the double standards. To me, when I compare both, that’s what gets me the most.

I mean, I’m a Vikings fan but I absolutely identify all the double standards that are in place. Let’s all call a spade a spade, let’s say a Gopher athlete is arrested vs. a Viking… we all know how they are covered much differently. The Gopher one is pushed to the front and sold as a “typical Gopher problems” story while a Viking one is basically covered as it happened, we have to cover it, but let’s move on as quickly as possible. It happens with on the field play too and we all know examples of that (injuries for one team aren’t an excuse but they are for the other and things of that nature). Sadly those double standards are just something the U is going to have to deal with and really, they probably won’t change unless there’s great success.

If any of you have seen the 30 for 30 on the SMU death penalty, there’s a very specific part of it where they start talking about the media in the DFW Metroplex during that time and how it rings so true to what is dealt with in MSP. You have many media outlets that are vying for ratings, readers, etc. and they’re always looking for the next scoop. They will always be frontrunners and trying to cover what’s popular while also being cool and ripping on the teams that are struggling. I believe there’s a quote in that part which is something along the lines of “when you’re in a market with multiple teams and the local media turns on you, you’re screwed.” And it’s so true. The local media here has turned on the U athletic department for decades. Now obviously part of that is the U’s athletic department regardless of the sport continuously shoots itself in the foot but you get my point. Those are things that fans of our rivals, college sports fans in places where the school’s athletic program is the only show in town, etc. will never understand and will never understand why it is such a general mindset hindrance.

Now, obviously the biggest factor is that the Gophers have done nothing for 50+ years. I’m sorry but seasons with 10 wins or playing in a New Year’s Day bowl game are nice here and there but nothing special. Now, you can make an argument that the Vikings haven’t done anything special in a long time either (it’s been 40 years since the Super Bowl appearances that are portrayed as just happening yesterday) but even a few NFC Championship Game appearances is a far, far cry from what the Gopher program has done. That’s not to mention the players the Vikings have had vs. the Gophers (relative to their playing level, of course) and how that’s a far cry. I’m 29 so I don’t remember the guys in the early 80’s or before but in my lifetime, I think of names like Moss, Peterson, Carter, etc… just superstars and entertaining people to watch. The Gophers have had guys like Carter, Maroney, Barber, Decker but let’s be real… do those names really stand out as just awe-inspiring?

Ruppert, it is no secret that you’re a Viking hater, which you’re totally entitled to. I don’t have a problem with it but I’d like to figure out why you have such a strong hatred for them, especially since it isn’t the common case of you being a fan of a rival team. Out of curiosity, do you also hate the Twins, Wild, Wolves because they take attention away from Gopher sports? Or is it just a Viking thing?

I’m also going to kind of turn around the question on you: I have my reasons for being a Gopher fan but out of curiosity, try to explain the Gopher/college football mystique to me. How would you sell it? I really don’t mean this in a smartass way, I am legitimately curious. Others, feel free to answer as well. If you’re going to sell the college game over the pros, how would you do it?
-Is it the pageantry and tradition?
-Is it the rivalries?
-Is it that the players play for the university and not an owner?
-Is it that the players are amateurs and care more about the game?
-Is it because they are student athletes?
-Is it became the game is played a certain way?

Why do you such disdain for the NFL/Vikings?

I type all of this as both a diehard Gophers and Vikings fan. I was raised with both, my Dad and my brothers are diehards of both, I have a little one that is a year and a half now with a second on the way that I will raise as both too. Saturdays are about the Gophers, Sundays are for the Vikings.

Speaking as a fan of both, what I think really irks the Gopher fanbase is the lack of knowledgeable cover and the trolling, but also the double standards. Ruppert, this may or not be true for you so correct me if I’m wrong but when I do read posts from you, I get this underlying feeling of you (and many other posters here) can’t stand the double standards. To me, when I compare both, that’s what gets me the most.

I mean, I’m a Vikings fan but I absolutely identify all the double standards that are in place. Let’s all call a spade a spade, let’s say a Gopher athlete is arrested vs. a Viking… we all know how they are covered much differently. The Gopher one is pushed to the front and sold as a “typical Gopher problems” story while a Viking one is basically covered as it happened, we have to cover it, but let’s move on as quickly as possible. It happens with on the field play too and we all know examples of that (injuries for one team aren’t an excuse but they are for the other and things of that nature). Sadly those double standards are just something the U is going to have to deal with and really, they probably won’t change unless there’s great success.

If any of you have seen the 30 for 30 on the SMU death penalty, there’s a very specific part of it where they start talking about the media in the DFW Metroplex during that time and how it rings so true to what is dealt with in MSP. You have many media outlets that are vying for ratings, readers, etc. and they’re always looking for the next scoop. They will always be frontrunners and trying to cover what’s popular while also being cool and ripping on the teams that are struggling. I believe there’s a quote in that part which is something along the lines of “when you’re in a market with multiple teams and the local media turns on you, you’re screwed.” And it’s so true. The local media here has turned on the U athletic department for decades. Now obviously part of that is the U’s athletic department regardless of the sport continuously shoots itself in the foot but you get my point. Those are things that fans of our rivals, college sports fans in places where the school’s athletic program is the only show in town, etc. will never understand and will never understand why it is such a general mindset hindrance.

Now, obviously the biggest factor is that the Gophers have done nothing for 50+ years. I’m sorry but seasons with 10 wins or playing in a New Year’s Day bowl game are nice here and there but nothing special. Now, you can make an argument that the Vikings haven’t done anything special in a long time either (it’s been 40 years since the Super Bowl appearances that are portrayed as just happening yesterday) but even a few NFC Championship Game appearances is a far, far cry from what the Gopher program has done. That’s not to mention the players the Vikings have had vs. the Gophers (relative to their playing level, of course) and how that’s a far cry. I’m 29 so I don’t remember the guys in the early 80’s or before but in my lifetime, I think of names like Moss, Peterson, Carter, etc… just superstars and entertaining people to watch. The Gophers have had guys like Carter, Maroney, Barber, Decker but let’s be real… do those names really stand out as just awe-inspiring?

Ruppert, it is no secret that you’re a Viking hater, which you’re totally entitled to. I don’t have a problem with it but I’d like to figure out why you have such a strong hatred for them, especially since it isn’t the common case of you being a fan of a rival team. Out of curiosity, do you also hate the Twins, Wild, Wolves because they take attention away from Gopher sports? Or is it just a Viking thing?

I’m also going to kind of turn around the question on you: I have my reasons for being a Gopher fan but out of curiosity, try to explain the Gopher/college football mystique to me. How would you sell it? I really don’t mean this in a smartass way, I am legitimately curious. Others, feel free to answer as well. If you’re going to sell the college game over the pros, how would you do it?
-Is it the pageantry and tradition?
-Is it the rivalries?
-Is it that the players play for the university and not an owner?
-Is it that the players are amateurs and care more about the game?
-Is it because they are student athletes?
-Is it became the game is played a certain way?
Outstanding post RGB. I actually followed the Vikings in the early era. As it got more commercialized I started losing interest.Guys like Red McCombs really turned me off. I thought Denny Green was an arrogent a-hole. I was at a Snyder Drug Golf outing and myself and another rep were placed in his foursome. He spent most of the time making comments about one particular berverage girl. At the reception afterwards he made reference about the only football team that captures the whole State. After that it was all downhill. Thanks to all you guys for great insight on the topic.

Growing up in rural Minnesota, the Gophers were rarely on TV while the Vikings were always on. Regardless, we spent most of our saturdays in the fall getting stuff done like cutting and chopping firewood for the winter. Sundays were always our day to fire up the grill and just relax.

I'm still a big Vikings fan but have grown to love the Gophers even more. I'll watch the NFL still but I don't care nearly as much as I used to. The super bowl is the most overrated sporting event in my opinion.

One of the reasons I think the Vikes and NFL is more popular in MN is because many fans are just lazy. In college football, the players change all the time. In the NFL, the superstars play for a long time. It's also easier to win a championship in the NFL. While they haven't won a championship, they've gotten close many times. The Gophers haven't.

I'm a Vikes fan (much larger Gopher fan).

Why?

It's football and I love watching football. It's also the highest level of football. That's about it for me.

As far as why I like the Gophers more, well it's the connection that I have to the U. It's more of a shared experience with a college team, as an alum, than it is with a pro team for me.

This. I'm also born and raised Minnesotan - so Vikings are my team.

I'd be curious to get a wisconsin take (I just vomited a bit)....are there badger fans that despise the packers???

Oh! By the way, have you seen the "spread" the Vikes lay out for the media at the game (before, during and after) and all the other "perks" the media get compared to the Gopher games.
They (the Vikes) know the importance of the media while the Gophers just kind of expect the media to come without encouragement.

College FB and BB are just better because of tothe wide difference in skill levels. I love watching kids get better. Hockey is similar, but I like pro almost as much as college.

Pretty simple answer, I love football and I'm from Minnesota :D :drink:

I guess going a little deeper, I prefer college football to NFL by far, but still enjoy watching the pro level. As for why I enjoy both, I kind of latched on to the Gophers and Vikings the same way. I started paying attention to the game, and since I was born and raised here and love the state, I got invested in each team. It's more or less the same as why I like watching Gophers in basketball and hockey as well as love rooting for the Wild and Timberwolves.

Not much interests me about the Vikings or the NFL any more. I did go to a game last year vs the Giants on a business deal and the pre-game intro was outstanding but the NFL games bore me. The players are too good, paid too much and the owners are too quick to move teams which breaks the heart of loyal fans. Basically the Vikings lost me in 1998 when Anderson kicked it wide left and then the NFL sealed the deal with me last year when owners re-started this crazy shuffle of moving teams. The Colin Kapernick antics did not help either.

The NFL is a marketing juggernaut. That's a big part of it. They target everyone and have a presence in bars, liquor stores, hardware stores, dentist offices, you name it. They target everyone, and have unlimited funds to do it. The media hype is constant. You're lucky to hear 5 minutes of Gooher talk in a full day of sports talk radio this time of year. For many, the NFL is a Sunday event that's planned around, and going to games is status signaling (you see nothing but people take selfies for 3 hours). The Gopher's are something that's there if nothing better is going on for most.

Of course, it doesn't help that the Gophers have been irrelevant and virtually non-competitive for 5 decades, give or take a couple of 8-win seasons, and sprinkle in an extremely boring brand of football (RUTM). There has been a noticeable uptick since Kill made the program even somewhat relevant in the conference.

The Gophers will be relevant to the casual when they start winning in entertaining fashion.

Personally, huge fan of both. Huge fan of football in general, and would find someone else to watch if neither existed.

1. Talent level is some much superior! Don't have to go through the freshman pains so often.
2. QBs can read a defense
3. Fantasy football u know almost every player on every team. Get bragging rights with your buddies
4. Cost gophers tickets cost way to much for product
5. Anyone can win it all in NFL competitive balance
6. Only Pro sport other than baseball where players go all out every game. Hockey/basketball half ass it until playoffs

I haven't watched a pro football game at my own home in two decades. I only watch it if I am held hostage at a relatives home during a family event. I could tell you the team logos of half the NFL, as they are all expansion teams or have moved. I just moved on and I could not even tell you why. Just moved on.

Top Bottom