Mitch Leidner Update. Still working with Rich Gannon

West Fargo Gopher Fan

Section 114 Row 2
Reaction score
Leidner, looking to learn more following his senior football season, contacted former NFL quarterback Rich Gannon, who lives in the area. The relationship blossomed, Gannon relaying his vast knowledge of the game to Leidner.

Gannon has transformed into a mentor for Leidner; someone he feels is in his corner as he attempts to play at the next level.

"I was out in Eden Prairie training and I was looking for a guy who could help me with the Xs and the Os. Someone to help workout with, watch how I perform and tell me how to get better. ... Rich was willing to help me without skipping a beat," Leidner said.

"He knows the West Coast Offense, and he's really helped me pick that up. All of the terminology we worked on during the winter, when I got into mini-camp with the Ravens and Jaguars, I was very easy to pick-up their playbooks," he added. "Rich never lets you slip up. Whether a ball is six inches to high, he's letting you know every time."

Out of those workouts came an opportunity for Leidner to help Gannon with a football camp in Victoria June 20 from 12:30 to 4:30 p.m. Gannon, a longtime supporter of Holy Family Catholic, has co-hosted a camp with the Fire coaching staff for a number of years.

http://www.swnewsmedia.com/jordan_i...cle_3983af14-7248-50fa-8934-6c5d37461fdf.html

Leidner, looking to learn more following his senior football season, contacted former NFL quarterback Rich Gannon, who lives in the area. The relationship blossomed, Gannon relaying his vast knowledge of the game to Leidner.

Gannon has transformed into a mentor for Leidner; someone he feels is in his corner as he attempts to play at the next level.

"I was out in Eden Prairie training and I was looking for a guy who could help me with the Xs and the Os. Someone to help workout with, watch how I perform and tell me how to get better. ... Rich was willing to help me without skipping a beat," Leidner said.

"He knows the West Coast Offense, and he's really helped me pick that up. All of the terminology we worked on during the winter, when I got into mini-camp with the Ravens and Jaguars, I was very easy to pick-up their playbooks," he added. "Rich never lets you slip up. Whether a ball is six inches to high, he's letting you know every time."

Out of those workouts came an opportunity for Leidner to help Gannon with a football camp in Victoria June 20 from 12:30 to 4:30 p.m. Gannon, a longtime supporter of Holy Family Catholic, has co-hosted a camp with the Fire coaching staff for a number of years.

http://www.swnewsmedia.com/jordan_i...cle_3983af14-7248-50fa-8934-6c5d37461fdf.html

I'm guessing this comes up quite often.

Good luck to Mitch. Good for him in giving it his best shot.

Good luck to Mitch. Good for him in giving it his best shot.

Did the best he could under the circumstances. I don't get it that people get on him and not the quarterback coaches that he had. Or for that matter recruit a better quarterback yet. He simply gave it his best shot and no one apparently could help him nor beat him out for the position. Yes it was tough for him but don't blame him.

Did the best he could under the circumstances. I don't get it that people get on him and not the quarterback coaches that he had. Or for that matter recruit a better quarterback yet. He simply gave it his best shot and no one apparently could help him nor beat him out for the position. Yes it was tough for him but don't blame him.

^^^^
All ML7 did was be the best QB option on this team and try his best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Main reason some are on GH--every FB and BB season someone is the whipping boy.

Was that the same year you didn't play any meaningful football whatsoever? Or is that pretty much every year of your life?
Ah, one of the "If you didn't play, you can't comment" guys.

I think most of that comes from the QB success shown at NIU. I see your QB recruiting comment to a point but I think in getting Nelson, Croft, and Green many felt they were. Remains to be seen with the latter two if that comes true...

Kudos to Mitch for his handling of the criticisms and keeping the high ground as a leader of the team. He wasn't the most gifted QB, but he gave his best with the coaching that he had. In spite of all the obstacles and shortcomings, the team overcame them all and produced a nine-win season. The first in so many years. The bowl win against WSU is one that I will always cherish.

The only disagreement I have is a lot of the decisions Mitch made were on him. A coach can only do so much. But that said, the rest of your comment is spot on. It's not Leidner's fault he was the best starting option. No matter how many mistakes he made, unless something was going on behind the scenes, there was no talk of even considering benching Leidner. That may have been the previous staff being too loyal, but I believe it was because they didn't have a better option. I'm sure they expected at some point he'd turn it around, but he ended up having a pretty rough year. The fact they never pulled him in the WI game is probably the biggest indicator of how far they considered Mitch above the others (right or wrong).

I do hope Fleck's new system is as QB friendly as advertised and a better fit for the QB's they have because otherwise it's pretty scary to think that one of three guys who couldn't threaten Mitch's starting position or a true freshman is going to start next season...

I wish Mitch nothing but the best but I just can't see how he makes a roster. Maybe he gets lucky and lands on a practice squad for a couple years, but I'm not sure I see that, either...

part of it gets to this attitude some coaches have that they will not pull the starting QB no matter how poorly he is playing. In any other sport, a player who is struggling and/or hurting the team gets yanked. but in FB, at least for some teams and coaches, the QB stays in there no matter how bad he is stinking up the joint. Me, I would try someone else. I'd put a RB in there and go with a wildcat. Try something -
try anything. But I guess that's why I'm not a coach.

part of it gets to this attitude some coaches have that they will not pull the starting QB no matter how poorly he is playing. In any other sport, a player who is struggling and/or hurting the team gets yanked. but in FB, at least for some teams and coaches, the QB stays in there no matter how bad he is stinking up the joint. Me, I would try someone else. I'd put a RB in there and go with a wildcat. Try something -
try anything. But I guess that's why I'm not a coach.

Didn't we kinda do that one season?

It shouldn't have been an INT :(

Obviously...but just saying...1st and 10 @ NEB 17 with about 2 minutes left and they dial up that pass play? Everyone watching with me got up and were screaming at the TV...why are they passing?

Obviously...but just saying...1st and 10 @ NEB 17 with about 2 minutes left and they dial up that pass play? Everyone watching with me got up and were screaming at the TV...why are they passing?

Maybe they thought they'd catch them defending a run?

A run vs pass play call on 1st really doesn't seem that big a deal.

I'm at the High School State baseball championships. The 1st baseman air mails a ball over the head of the third baseman. Someone turns to their buddy and asks if Mitch Leidner is playing 1st base. [emoji41] [emoji23]

Ah, one of the "If you didn't play, you can't comment" guys.

Amazing that whenever Mitch's names comes up, more than one person likes to spout off with some nonsense. So I applaud the comment!

Considering the time down and distance... could still work. It's not like Neb only does one thing.

Alternately passing was working...

Yep, they were in prevent defense. Perfect time to mix in a run. Smith went unchecked through a big hole the line on that dump off route. WRs had cleared everyone out. Smith on on one with the middle LB with room to run?

Yep, they were in prevent defense. Perfect time to mix in a run. Smith went unchecked through a big hole the line on that dump off route. WRs had cleared everyone out. Smith on on one with the middle LB with room to run?

Yeah Smith had all of one guy to beat provided the dump off pass worked.... and dude can make guys miss ...
xVtcQfP.gif

Yeah Smith had all of one guy to beat provided the dump off pass worked.... and dude can make guys miss ...
xVtcQfP.gif

Agree...run or pass, that was the guy who should have gotten the ball. 1st down and out of bounds inside the 5...if he doesn't score. Sigh...

Good luck to Mitch. I hope he finds opportunity, or try's out somewhere, Arena league, CFL. He needs game competition, high repetitions of passing, and making really quick decisions. The only thing that will make him a better quarterback is playing more games and more game action. There is a guy named Warner that never gave up on his dream, and kept trying even at the arena league level. If QB doesn't work out perhaps he could learn to become a tight end in one of those leagues. If someone gives him a chance he may just prove them right some day. One thing he is for sure is a competitor and a kid that can take some licks. I don't think anyone would ever question his toughness or ability to take a hit because he has that stuff in spades.

Sometimes it clicks for them and they develop later, I think Leidner could end up being a late bloomer that it finally happens for. Dude has ability, and he is a hard worker, a passing league like the Arena league, or a pass happy team in the CFL may give him enough game action to get Leidner some camp tryouts or opportunity in the NFL. He is likely going to have to show that he can become a more consistent passer in an offense that shows those skills. He is still young enough that he can chase the football dream and continue to try and play.
I Wish him good luck, and Go Gophers.

Top Bottom