Paul Allen's top 10 all time Gopher football greats

The producer Eric Nordquist was the one who actually came up with the list. Here it is in order from 1-10:

Bronco Nagurski
Bobby Bell
Bruce Smith
Darrell Thompson
Carl Eller
Tyrone Carter
Paul Giel
Adam Weber
Greg Eslinger
Ron Johnson

Outside of Weber, I don't have much of a problem with the list. The one argument for Weber is that he is the best statistical passing QB by a mile. Pretty much every other good QB in Gopher history were better runners than passers.

Weber was decent but a big box score statistically. Lot of pick 6s (Iowa in the Sammy Hagar 55-0 game and vs NW to end of the game). However a four year starter and pretty gutty given he was running for his life much of the time.

My problem with PA is he doesn't describe the actual play (yards, downs, etc) he just screams HEEEE'S LOOOOOSE or whatever. I appreciate the enthusiasm but could use a little more info. PA was a better play by play guy years ago, but I feel like he's overly embraced his own schtick after hearing himself on ESPN highlights too many times.

But every play by play guy has their quirks. Grimm always has to describe the kind of kick (end over end, spiraling) and constantly bitches about the officials for both football and basketball.

"I don't really care as much for the Vikings anymore" ......DLguy
And the Lord said: " Let there be light"
"Dad, anybody can be a Viking fan. It takes someone special to be a Gopher fan" .....my son

Vikings loss in 1998 was far more painful than any Gopher loss in the last 20 years (Yes including Michigan '03 or Wisconsin punt game). It's not easy being a Vikings fan either (or Wild... or Wolves... or Twins...)

*Edit - I tried to quote the guy saying how amazing PA's voice is.

Gross.

I definitely won't miss him saying the word "Adrian" every 4th word.

Agree. I'd probably swap out Weber for Stephens and Johnson for Decker.

Stephens is who I'd swap for Weber as well. They actually started the discussion with the 10th spot being a toss up between Decker or Johnson. It's close. Decker had 130 more yards on 29 more catches. But Johnson had a higher average and 7 more TDs. Plus Weber was a better throwing QB than what RJ had. So I'd stick with Johnson.

I did catch Paul Allen on his show about 3-4 years ago where he did openly admit he doesn’t know much about Gopher football nor does he follow it so he will not talk about it at great lengths on his show. Not what I really wanted to hear. Since then I have noticed that he has Tyrone Carter and Ron Johnson on where I think he can sit back for the most part and let those two guys do a lot of the talking. (Note: Methinks Ron Johnson made the top 10 just based on his association with the show).

Paul Allen is great at calling horse races. I have met him a few times out at the track and know some folks who hang out with him socially and we all agreed he is a pretty nice guy. However, I’m not a big fan of his over-the-top homerism during Viking broadcasts and Vikings segments on his radio show.

I think Mackey & Judd are a little better when it comes to Gopher football (if they can fit it in between their year-round bromance with anything hockey)…plus, they add Mike Grimm quite a bit to bring Gopher news.

That brings up another question…maybe a new thread? (if it hasn’t already been started)…When are the best times to catch Gopher football news on the local radio shows each week? I believe Mike Grimm is on 1500am Wednesdays from 9-10.

Paul Allen and Golden Gopher football have no overlap, nothing in common.... they are "mutually exclusive".

Lets keep it that way.

PA is great at calling the horses and taught me how to handicap. He is alright in my book.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hard to come up with a list of ten and not leave someone out, but Tom Brown gets overlooked consistently. Outland Trophy winner on the Gophers' national champion team of 1960 and a two-way player at OG and DT. I think one of the reasons Brown gets overlooked is that he didn't play in the NFL, but instead went to Canada, where he was a standout for a number of years and was elected to the CFL Hall of Fame. Went into the College Football Hall of Fame in 2003. Truly great player.

Here's a snippet on Brown: http://www.gophersports.com/genrel/090607aar.html

The fact he was second in Heisman voting is still amazing. As they mention in the link that's as close as any lineman has come. I'd definitely put him in the list and Weber out. Weber has no business being on that list. There's a lot of other guys you could argue between Halsey's list and "PA's list", but besides Weber I could make an argument for each. I would probably replace Ron Johnson with Leo Nomellini, myself... Definitely hard to argue with Bronko being #1 (only player ever to be All-American on offense and defense the same year).

PA not knowing Paul Giel is inexcusable. Giel was the AD until 1989 so if he did not know he was a standout player he should at least know his role at the University.

So he's supposed memorize the history of Gopher ADs?

Allen wasn't even in town until 1995. Between 1989 and 1995 there were 5 Gophers ADs, so it's not like Giel was the guy who the current AD at the time took over for.

Got to say, I'm surprised we gotten to 3 pages and we're still on topic. :clap:

Allen wasn't even in town until 1995. Between 1989 and 1995 there were 5 Gophers ADs, so it's not like Giel was the guy who the current AD at the time took over for.

I think the guy in that role at Minnesota's largest Sports Talk radio station should know about a guy like Paul Giel. It is an indicator that he really knows nothing about Gopher Football. PA likely does not know about Sandy Stephens either, who by the way get's my vote for the top ten list over Weber.

I would think Ben Hamilton is in the Top 10 conversation as well.

Got to say, I'm surprised we gotten to 3 pages and we're still on topic. :clap:

Sounds like you want the Gophers to fail this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First of all he was an All American, 2nd in the Heisman. He also was a standout baseball pitcher who was a bonus baby of the Giants. And he pitched for the Twins.

Allen is a sports talk radio host. You would expect him to know about Tarkenton and Hurrying Hugh, right? I can't believe how little these sports writers and sports talk guys know about sports. I'm a casual fan and I know more than most. Someone asks if they saw a game and they say, "Nah, I had a meeting to go to." What the hell? You don't record the games?

I think the biggest problem with a list like this is do you compare someone from the 30s with someone of today. The guys today are bigger, stronger, faster and have more info available. But a guy like Bronko would be a standout in any generation IMO. I saw him in a spring varsity/alumni game against the varsity in the late 50s when he was an old man and he stood out.

First of all he was an All American, 2nd in the Heisman. He also was a standout baseball pitcher who was a bonus baby of the Giants. And he pitched for the Twins.

Allen is a sports talk radio host. You would expect him to know about Tarkenton and Hurrying Hugh, right? I can't believe how little these sports writers and sports talk guys know about sports. I'm a casual fan and I know more than most. Someone asks if they saw a game and they say, "Nah, I had a meeting to go to." What the hell? You don't record the games?

I think the biggest problem with a list like this is do you compare someone from the 30s with someone of today. The guys today are bigger, stronger, faster and have more info available. But a guy like Bronko would be a standout in any generation IMO. I saw him in a spring varsity/alumni game against the varsity in the late 50s when he was an old man and he stood out.

Wow!! You actually got to see Bronco live and in person? I gotta say Im pretty jealous about that. I was born in the 80's so far beyond my time but Ive always wondered what he was like.

Amen to this sentiment. I can't believe that announcers who are paid well to provide insight on sports do so little research. I'm not a hardcore fan anymore, but I am always amazed that people who expected to know something about sports--especially in the local market in which they work--often know so little.

Amen to this sentiment. I can't believe that announcers who are paid well to provide insight on sports do so little research. I'm not a hardcore fan anymore, but I am always amazed that people who expected to know something about sports--especially in the local market in which they work--often know so little.

Your brain must weigh 50 lbs.

Wow!! You actually got to see Bronco live and in person? I gotta say Im pretty jealous about that. I was born in the 80's so far beyond my time but Ive always wondered what he was like.

He wore a leather helmet and kept a white towel around his neck the whole time. They had trouble tackling him. I also saw him at his gas station in International Falls in the early 70s

I can say from experience that there are some in media who just don't know where to look (or don't care enough), so they have someone else do their research or don't do it at all. Things that literally take 30 seconds to look up.

I grew up with my dad telling me Bronko Nagurski stories. Dad loved "tough guys." his favorite athletes were guys like Ray Nitzschke, Gordie Howe, etc, but he always said Nagurski was the toughest.

As far as PA, can't stand him on play-by-play. On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being completely neutral, and 10 being a total homer, I would put PA at about a 9.5. As someone else said, Mike Grimm does a decent job on play-by-play, but he spends way too much time bitching about the officiating. (although he's a little better on that front during FB season. During men's basketball season, I swear Grimm spends more time criticizing the officials than he does actually describing the action.)

He wore a leather helmet and kept a white towel around his neck the whole time. They had trouble tackling him. I also saw him at his gas station in International Falls in the early 70s

Wait a minute, during the game he wore a leather helmet while varisty wore standard gear for it's time?

Paul Allen has alternative facts.

Top Bottom