Athlon: Ranking All 130 College Football Teams (#50. Minnesota)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Athlon:

50. Minnesota
P.J. Fleck is bringing some much-needed energy to the Minnesota program after a successful stint at Western Michigan. Fleck is regarded for his work on the recruiting trail, and the Golden Gophers should upgrade their profile on National Signing Day over the next few years. The first priority for Fleck is to identify a quarterback. Mitch Leidner expired his eligibility after 2016, leaving former walk-on Conor Rhoda and sophomore Demry Croft as the top two candidates this offseason. Quarterback isn’t the only concern for Fleck’s offense. The receiving corps loses Drew Wolitarsky and more big plays are needed out of this group. Additionally, while four starters are back up front, the line isn’t particularly deep. The unquestioned strength of the offense is at running back. Rodney Smith and Shannon Brooks form one of the Big Ten’s top tandems. Robb Smith was hired from Arkansas to coordinate a defense that allowed only 22.1 points per game in 2016. Maintaining that level of play in 2017 could be difficult with just four returning starters and depth concerns at each level. Safety Antoine Winfield is the leader on the back end, while tackle Steven Richardson is a second-team All-Big Ten selection by Athlon Sports. Despite the personnel concerns, Minnesota should be able to earn a bowl in Fleck’s first year. The Golden Gophers miss Penn State and Ohio State in crossover play and catch swing games against Maryland, Illinois, Michigan State and Nebraska at home.

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/ranking-all-130-college-football-teams-2017

Go Gophers!!

A lot of caveats in what I am about to say, and this is not meant to turn this into another Kill/Claeys thread - but it is interesting that the Kill/Claeys regime gets so much credit for overachieving based on the level of their recruiting (myself included - which is why this stood out to me), but this ranking pretty much matches their typical recruiting rank.

It is Athlon, though, so we're all just wasting our time anyways.

Top Bottom