ESPN: Big Ten West teams poised to score big upsets (Nebraska at Minnesota, Nov. 11)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

Nebraska at Minnesota, Nov. 11: Nebraska has a chance at a really good season if the Huskers can get past Oregon early and then the gauntlet of Wisconsin and Ohio State in back-to-back weeks. Nebraska gets a week off after facing the Buckeyes, then travels to Purdue and has Northwestern at home the following week. Coming off of that run of tough competition, then traveling to Minnesota, with a game against Penn State looming the following week, could give the Gophers a chance to take this game. Add in new coach P.J. Fleck, who will likely have a better grasp for his team by this point in the season, and this could be a tough test for Nebraska.

http://www.espn.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/142427/upset-alerts-for-big-ten-west

Go Gophers!!

per ESPN:

Nebraska at Minnesota, Nov. 11: Nebraska has a chance at a really good season if the Huskers can get past Oregon early and then the gauntlet of Wisconsin and Ohio State in back-to-back weeks. Nebraska gets a week off after facing the Buckeyes, then travels to Purdue and has Northwestern at home the following week. Coming off of that run of tough competition, then traveling to Minnesota, with a game against Penn State looming the following week, could give the Gophers a chance to take this game. Add in new coach P.J. Fleck, who will likely have a better grasp for his team by this point in the season, and this could be a tough test for Nebraska.

http://www.espn.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/142427/upset-alerts-for-big-ten-west

Go Gophers!!

Beating Nebraska, a team we've defeated in 2 of the last 4 games, is a "big upset"? And at home, nonetheless? D'ok.

(Using Sagarin as a guide - if this game were being played at the end of last season, we'd have been about 8-point favorites at home. But I'm sure they've gained about 20 points on us since the end of last season.)

Beating Nebraska, a team we've defeated in 2 of the last 4 games, is a "big upset"? And at home, nonetheless? D'ok.

(Using Sagarin as a guide - if this game were being played at the end of last season, we'd have been about 8-point favorites at home. But I'm sure they've gained about 20 points on us since the end of last season.)

We would have been favored at home by 8... after losing by 7 in Neb?

That's one heck of a home field swing.....

We would have been favored at home by 8... after losing by 7 in Neb?

That's one heck of a home field swing.....

I'm just talking about Sagarin. Fine, using your guideline, if we lost by 7 at Nebraska - let's move the game to Minneapolis. You take away their 3-point home field advantage and give it to us, that's a six-point swing. Now Nebraska is a 1-point favorite. So would beating them be a "big upset"?

I'm just talking about Sagarin. Fine, using your guideline, if we lost by 7 at Nebraska - let's move the game to Minneapolis. You take away their 3-point home field advantage and give it to us, that's a six-point swing. Now Nebraska is a 1-point favorite. So would beating them be a "big upset"?

Agree with you completely. Bizarre take by ESPN.

I don't understand why you're asking me.

I didn't say anything about a big upset last year ... and the article above is about this coming season.

. I love the way you think dp.

Between BTN and ESPN, it feels like any game we are going to win will be considered an "upset" and in some cases a "big upset."

Go Gophers!!

Between BTN and ESPN, it feels like any game we are going to win will be considered an "upset" and in some cases a "big upset."

Go Gophers!!

Until they play some games it's all pointless. But they do have a lot of time and space to fill. :cool:

is ESPN's argument that Nebraska has a rough stretch of games prior to MN, which may leave them weakened and vulnerable? Have they not covered college FB before?

Beating Nebraska will almost always be a big upset in the minds of non-MN fans/media. Just the way it is. Neb. could be 5-6 and the Gophs at 8-3 and it would still be an upset if we won.

Top Bottom