Detroit News: Michigan's trip to Rome will end up costing between $750K-$800K

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Detroit News:

Michigan athletic director Warde Manuel said the football team’s trip to Rome in late April will wind up costing between $750,000 and $800,000, all of which was covered by an unrestricted financial gift by a donor who wishes to remain anonymous.

Football coach Jim Harbaugh took the Wolverines to Rome after finals for a week of sightseeing and team bonding, in addition to three spring practices. The trip was optional for the players and about three dozen went on to participate in three-week study-abroad programs, and internships internationally and in the U.S.

“It’s going to come in around $750,000, $800,000,” Manuel said Tuesday at Egypt Valley Country Club, where he participated in the Meijer LPGA Classic celebrity Pro-Am. “Waiting on a few numbers, so we don’t have it final, final, but it will be around 750, 800.

“It will be about $5,000 to $6,000 a person, so it was a great investment. It was just terrific. We pay them through an educational experience like Michigan does all the time. I don’t think about it in terms of paying our athletes but if people want to say we should give something to our students of value, I can’t think of a better way to invest in them for their lifetime and their experience.”

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp...17/06/13/manuel-ums-rome-trip-cost/102820438/

Go Gophers!!

As a retired teacher, it would be fun to find out what the kids learned on their "field trip".

I can't help but think back to the 30 for 30 on the Fab Five. They took a trip to Europe right after the season and the kids all complained...didn't appreciate the history, etc that they were seeing. They'd have rather spent that time going home and relaxing with their families.

I think this is a great opportunity for these kids...but since not many schools have this kind of generous donor does this become an unfair advantage? Just asking. What are the NCAA rules around this kind of benefit?

I'd like to know if the scholarship athletes can get summer jobs or internships from companies run by boosters. What is the difference between this and the money spent on a frivolous trip to Rome provided by a single booster? Is one sanctioned by the NCAA and the other not? Providing summer jobs instead IMHO is more beneficial especially kids from lest financially well off families.

I think the kids can benefit greatly by getting summer jobs so that they have extra money available in addition to their stipends allowed by the NCAA. The walk-ons can benefit from this greatly too. Do walk-ons get stipends?

Top Bottom