Jarvis Thomas offered

die hard gopher

Reaction score
I know he has an all things thread but I thought this was worthy of it's own so everyone can see

It's hard to see a situation where we take both Race and Jarvis. I really like Race though so hopefully he decides as soon as possible. Unfortunately that does not seem likely. Only scenario which they might take both would be if the coaches feel good enough about Races ability to play on the wing but that would mean no spot for Kalscheur or Hunter if we take both.

I suppose Jarvis does have a lot of good offers so he'll probably take a while and some visits to before he commits so Race still does have some time to commit.

There have been some comparison's to Rodney and Murphy on here. I just thought of it and the best one I think is Josh Martin. I'm not saying their college careers will be similar at all but I think as HS prospects they are extremely similar. Jarvis is slightly more athletic and Josh was slightly more skilled but I think thats the best comparison for Jarvis.

It will be interesting to see if Jarvis' recruitment moves quickly after the offer. I personally worry about bringing in two guys with limited range at the 4/5 in the same class. My preference for Race lies in the fact that he can score at multiple levels/stretch the defense. That said, from what I've read it seems like Jarvis is an ascending player and would be happy with him as an addition to the class.

I always thought Gabe was slotted as more of a 2 guard. And with Race's abilities, couldn't he play a lot of 3 or 4? Jarvis would then play 4. Plenty of minutes to go around. Not every guy we recruit is going to be a 4 year starter.

I always thought Gabe was slotted as more of a 2 guard. And with Race's abilities, couldn't he play a lot of 3 or 4? Jarvis would then play 4. Plenty of minutes to go around. Not every guy we recruit is going to be a 4 year starter.

Except we have to take a PG in this class as Washington will be the only one on the roster. So we have guaranteed spots for a PG and Oturu and only two left. If Fitz wouldn't have gotten that 6th year than I'd love to take all 3 but we will likely only take two of the 3.

Except we have to take a PG in this class as Washington will be the only one on the roster. So we have guaranteed spots for a PG and Oturu and only two left. If Fitz wouldn't have gotten that 6th year than I'd love to take all 3 but we will likely only take two of the 3.

Not necessarily. Jamie is a combo guard and Coffey and McBreyer can handle a few minutes too. But my preference would be to add a pg

Not necessarily. Jamie is a combo guard and Coffey and McBreyer can handle a few minutes too. But my preference would be to add a pg

Disagree completely with Jamir. I've watched a lot of full length games of Jamir, probably 7 or so, I never once thought of him as a combo guard nor thought he had the athleticism or skill level to play it at the Big Ten level. Anybody that says he is has likely has never seen him play and is only basing that notion off of his height. Jamir is a pure 2 guard, an undersized one at that but a pure 2 guard. IMO he's not fast or quick enough to play the point in the Big Ten and his handle isn't good enough for that either. Many times when he would occasionally bring the ball up, he would manage to turn it over somehow. Playing him at the point also makes it that much more difficult for him to utilize his greatest strength which is catching and shooting the 3 off of screens.

Disagree completely with Jamir. I've watched a lot of full length games of Jamir, probably 7 or so, I never once thought of him as a combo guard nor thought he had the athleticism or skill level to play it at the Big Ten level. Anybody that says he is has likely has never seen him play and is only basing that notion off of his height. Jamir is a pure 2 guard, an undersized one at that but a pure 2 guard. IMO he's not fast or quick enough to play the point in the Big Ten and his handle isn't good enough for that either. Many times when he would occasionally bring the ball up, he would manage to turn it over somehow. Playing him at the point also makes it that much more difficult for him to utilize his greatest strength which is catching and shooting the 3 off of screens.

I have watched Jamir play 4 games, and I 100% agree, he is a pure 2. He will best be utilized as an off the screen shooter or a trail and shoot on the break.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Per Marcus:

Gophers fans probably hope he doesn’t wait long. He’s been dazzling fans in person and on social media with his highlight-reel dunks all spring and early summer for Howard Pulley’s AAU team.

Making the most of his first season in the Nike EYBL, the St. Paul native has been one of the fastest rising players in the country. With top 2018 point guard Tre Jones running the show, Thomas has flourished in the open court – turning Howard Pulley’s fast breaks into dunk city.

But dunking isn’t all he can do. Thomas is an aggressive offensive rebounder and intimidating shot blocker. Having background as a football player makes him unafraid to be physical and play through contact.

Thomas said Minnesota coach Richard Pitino said Wednesday he liked “my toughness and my ability to run the floor and be versatile – and how I can basically guard (five positions).”

Pitino compared Thomas to current Gophers starting power forward Jordan Murphy, a 6-7 dunking and rebounding machine. Murphy earned All-Big Ten honors last season as a sophomore.

If Thomas is like Murphy, then Gophers 2018 commit Daniel Oturu is like current Gophers center Reggie Lynch. Thomas and Oturu play together in the frontcourt for Howard Pulley.

“Daniel is a good kid; he’s a fun guy,” Thomas said. “Me and him play really well together I think, if not one of the best combinations for a frontcourt in the EYBL.”

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...664083/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=dlvr.it

Go Gophers!!

Where's Doogie on this one? Didn't he say the Gophers will never offer him, and got in a spat with his mother over it?

That guy is such a hack.

I know it's rare in hoops but does anyone else think Jarvis would be a good red shirt candidate. Unless it doesn't pan out I wouldn't worry about a 5th year in state kid grad transferring. Thomas' freshman year we will have Murph, Curry and Fitz capable of playing the four, Oturu and Motz, and hopefully a bulked up Curry could play the five. I always wonder what an extra year would've done for Rodney and think of what it did for DJ. Race would be more likely to challenge for minutes if we land him due to his ability to score. If it's Thomas love that he has a junk yard dog mentality and the extra could help him improve other areas of his game. Thoughts?

I know it's rare in hoops but does anyone else think Jarvis would be a good red shirt candidate. Unless it doesn't pan out I wouldn't worry about a 5th year in state kid grad transferring. Thomas' freshman year we will have Murph, Curry and Fitz capable of playing the four, Oturu and Motz, and hopefully a bulked up Curry could play the five. I always wonder what an extra year would've done for Rodney and think of what it did for DJ. Race would be more likely to challenge for minutes if we land him due to his ability to score. If it's Thomas love that he has a junk yard dog mentality and the extra could help him improve other areas of his game. Thoughts?

I think this is spot on. I've actually wondered the same with Race if he ended up here because there's a logjam at the forward spots even if Fitz didn't get the extra year. It's going to be interesting to see how it shakes out. I feel like if it were up to Jarvis he may commit soon after the AAU season but I imagine Pitino may wait it out a bit for Race.

Where's Doogie on this one? Didn't he say the Gophers will never offer him, and got in a spat with his mother over it?

That guy is such a hack.

He said he didn't think Jarvis would end up here. Don't think he ever said we wouldn't offer.

Doogie made Jarvis' mom unhappy when he tweeted that Thomas has "a goofy situation" on Twitter. He never elaborated so I'm not sure what he was referring to. Something about an advisor or "handler" who was pushing Jarvis to go out west. No idea if any of it is true. I think the tweets are on another thread on GH. Just checked and they are still there on twitter.

Last summer Jarvis was planning to transfer to a prep school in Vegas, Bishop Gorman I think. I know the twitter deal between Jarvis' mom and Doogie started on a tweet about that.

I think this is spot on. I've actually wondered the same with Race if he ended up here because there's a logjam at the forward spots even if Fitz didn't get the extra year. It's going to be interesting to see how it shakes out. I feel like if it were up to Jarvis he may commit soon after the AAU season but I imagine Pitino may wait it out a bit for Race.

I think if Race is good enough and if Stockman doesn't develop then Race would definitely have a spot in the rotation backing up Murphy at PF with Curry at center and Oturu backing him him. That was what I was originally thinking before we took Stockman.

I think if Race is good enough and if Stockman doesn't develop then Race would definitely have a spot in the rotation backing up Murphy at PF with Curry at center and Oturu backing him him. That was what I was originally thinking before we took Stockman.

Yeah it's hard to know what we are going to get out of Stockman. It seems as though he has the skill (according to the Pitinos at least) but hasn't filled out and doesn't really have the aggression. I'm not sure how that changes going to a more physical conference. In the grand scheme of things we freed up a scholarship for Louisville to give to Brian Bowen. Matz is a bizarre take but you can never have too many bigs I guess. In the scenario you brought up though it would just come down to how Curry develops physically because I've felt he could play the 5 later in his college career as well. Thomas has really impressed this spring and summer but the front court combo of Oturu and Thompson has to still be the preference.

Yeah it's hard to know what we are going to get out of Stockman. It seems as though he has the skill (according to the Pitinos at least) but hasn't filled out and doesn't really have the aggression. I'm not sure how that changes going to a more physical conference. In the grand scheme of things we freed up a scholarship for Louisville to give to Brian Bowen. Matz is a bizarre take but you can never have too many bigs I guess. In the scenario you brought up though it would just come down to how Curry develops physically because I've felt he could play the 5 later in his college career as well. Thomas has really impressed this spring and summer but the front court combo of Oturu and Thompson has to still be the preference.

Not sure what's bizarre about it. After the upcoming season, Oturu, a freshman, will be the only 5 on the roster. We need more than that, even if Curry can play some 5. Rick isn't going to intentionally f*** over his son and Richard isn't going to intentionally sabotage his own team, so I'm pretty confident they both think he can contribute. Taking someone who can contribute at a position of need isn't bizarre in my book.

He said he didn't think Jarvis would end up here. Don't think he ever said we wouldn't offer.

Doogie made Jarvis' mom unhappy when he tweeted that Thomas has "a goofy situation" on Twitter. He never elaborated so I'm not sure what he was referring to. Something about an advisor or "handler" who was pushing Jarvis to go out west. No idea if any of it is true. I think the tweets are on another thread on GH. Just checked and they are still there on twitter.

Last summer Jarvis was planning to transfer to a prep school in Vegas, Bishop Gorman I think. I know the twitter deal between Jarvis' mom and Doogie started on a tweet about that.

Ah, ok, thanks (Doogie?) for providing the additional info there. I was just basing things on what I thought I remembered a second hand source saying. He may be right, maybe Jarvis goes elsewhere after being treated like a plan B.

Doesn't really change my opinion of Doogie's "work," either way.

Ah, ok, thanks (Doogie?) for providing the additional info there. I was just basing things on what I thought I remembered a second hand source saying. He may be right, maybe Jarvis goes elsewhere after being treated like a plan B.

Doesn't really change my opinion of Doogie's "work," either way.

Jarvis has picked up some pretty impressive offers since then. That was almost a year ago. JT may be a higher priority now. I'd guess Doogie would change his tune a little if asked about it today.

I generally like and trust Doogie, at least when he says he has a source. Can usually tell when he's guessing vs when someone in the know told him, and he'll usually answer if you ask him about it on twitter. I don't take what he says as the Bible by any means, but he'll usually provide info if you ask him on twitter which I appreciate. Don't know if many media guys who are so responsive to regular fans.

Not sure what's bizarre about it. After the upcoming season, Oturu, a freshman, will be the only 5 on the roster. We need more than that, even if Curry can play some 5. Rick isn't going to intentionally f*** over his son and Richard isn't going to intentionally sabotage his own team, so I'm pretty confident they both think he can contribute. Taking someone who can contribute at a position of need isn't bizarre in my book.

I never said Rick was intentionally screwing over his son. I'm not sure how taking a 22 year old project that's never averaged more than 6 minutes a game can be viewed as anything other than weird though. Especially with him being a sit one and play one. If the thought is to bring Oturu along slowly you could have banked the scholarship and went after a JUCO or a transfer with some experience in the college game. Hopefully he can be a contributor in the way Konate has been for us but it's a favor at the very least. Louisville turned his roster spot into a 5* wing at the end of the day.

I never said Rick was intentionally screwing over his son. I'm not sure how taking a 22 year old project that's never averaged more than 6 minutes a game can be viewed as anything other than weird though. Especially with him being a sit one and play one. If the thought is to bring Oturu along slowly you could have banked the scholarship and went after a JUCO or a transfer with some experience in the college game. Hopefully he can be a contributor in the way Konate has been for us but it's a favor at the very least. Louisville turned his roster spot into a 5* wing at the end of the day.

You understand Rick could have sent him packing without Minnesota being the destination, right? Richard was in no way, shape, or form obligated to take Matz in order for Rick to open up that spot. It's not like Minnesota is the only place Louisville players are allowed to transfer to. Saying it's a favor implies Richard knows he won't help us, and I don't buy that we would use up a scholarship on him if that is the case. He got minimal playing time, yes, but it was for a really good team. He might still be a pretty good player.

The best way for me to make sense of the Matz thing is that it also helped balance out the class. Also with it being a sit one play one situation I'm guessing they also saw a benefit in A- having another big in practice this year for the bigs to work against and B - to have a guy that's comfortable in the system come in in 18 to give minutes. If you bring a JUCO or grad transfer in next year you don't have any bigs with even a year under their belt in the system, plus its likely hard to get a high quality JUCO/transfer when you have a highly regarding frosh coming in. This ain't Duke where guys are willing to come sit behind guys. Most guys that come to MN will want to play (not that that's not true elsewhere, just saying blue bloods have a better chance at getting a talented guy to come in when he's not guaranteed a lot of PT than we do)

The best way for me to make sense of the Matz thing is that it also helped balance out the class. Also with it being a sit one play one situation I'm guessing they also saw a benefit in A- having another big in practice this year for the bigs to work against and B - to have a guy that's comfortable in the system come in in 18 to give minutes. If you bring a JUCO or grad transfer in next year you don't have any bigs with even a year under their belt in the system, plus its likely hard to get a high quality JUCO/transfer when you have a highly regarding frosh coming in. This ain't Duke where guys are willing to come sit behind guys. Most guys that come to MN will want to play (not that that's not true elsewhere, just saying blue bloods have a better chance at getting a talented guy to come in when he's not guaranteed a lot of PT than we do)

This is the most logical take I've heard on Matz. I don't think Richard is doing a favor for good ole dad but I do think Richard took him knowing full well that he would be nothing more than a rotation player and a true 5 for Reggie to practice against. And I don't doubt that Rick pushed for it with the intention being that he really wanted to open up a scholarship.

And because the timing was odd in that we seemingly didn't explore other opportunities and just jumped on it right after the season I gotta believe they think he can play here. I'm guessing on the low side they certainly feel he'll offer more than Konate, who on most nights was very helpful off the bench last year with defense, rebounding and finishing most plays around the basket. Regarding practice...we already have Konate and Gas so I'm not sure that was much of a factor. But developing Matz, learning the system and Matz being able to improve practicing against those guys might have been a factor in the decision to go forward.

So obvious about what you said, Richard figures he is going to have a good team, going into season with an inexperienced big man would not have been preferred, seeing the way Oturu is progressing not sure having a multiple year guy would make that much of a difference.

I think it was on an interview with KFAN where Pitino described the addition of Matz as "necessary" with the loss of 3 centers after the upcoming season. Not only did Rick Pitino add 5 star wing Bowen after Matz transferred but perhaps more instructively (especially since it happened first) he also added former 5 Star big Steven Enoch as a transfer from UConn. Enoch will have two years to play compared to Stockman's one.

I am really down on this add by Pitino unless Stockman comes out and plays at an All Conference level in his one year on the roster. I really hope we don't end up one body short this year with expectations/predictions so high. There's other opportunity costs with this addition as well like what if we invested the next two years in a project big who would then have 3 years of eligibility? Hopefully this works out and Stockman performs really well next season because it was a move that was easy to armchair QB immediately.

I think it was on an interview with KFAN where Pitino described the addition of Matz as "necessary" with the loss of 3 centers after the upcoming season. Not only did Rick Pitino add 5 star wing Bowen after Matz transferred but perhaps more instructively (especially since it happened first) he also added former 5 Star big Steven Enoch as a transfer from UConn. Enoch will have two years to play compared to Stockman's one.

I am really down on this add by Pitino unless Stockman comes out and plays at an All Conference level in his one year on the roster. I really hope we don't end up one body short this year with expectations/predictions so high. There's other opportunity costs with this addition as well like what if we invested the next two years in a project big who would then have 3 years of eligibility? Hopefully this works out and Stockman performs really well next season because it was a move that was easy to armchair QB immediately.

Interesting read and take...didn't know about the Enoch scenario. Good stuff, EG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All conference or you're upset with the add?

Other points were fine, but we weren't getting an all conference big with that scholarship.

Top Bottom