CBS: Big Ten coaching job rankings (#10. Minnesota)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per CBS:

What I'm trying to do in these rankings is view each job from a neutral point of view. I considered many different factors when trying to figure out which job is the "best." The tradition of a school was a factor, as was its amount of success, and how the school is positioned for future success.

Throw in some recruiting -- not only the recruiting base, but the level of difficulty involved in recruiting players to the school -- expectations and the loyalty of the fan base, and I think I came to some pretty reasonable conclusions.

So without further ado, here are the 14 jobs of the Big Ten ranked from best to worst.

10. Golden Gophers

Minnesota has a beautiful new stadium located in a gorgeous spot in downtown Minneapolis. The problem is it takes more than that to convince the top talent to head north to play for Minnesota, as the Gophers need to recruit outside the state to have a realistic chance of competing within the Big Ten.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...ngs-ohio-state-remains-the-cream-of-the-crop/

Go Gophers!!

This article lost all credibility when it ranked Illinois job ahead of us.

These types of rankings are stupid at best.

Maryland doesn't come to mind when I think "sleeping giant"...less so than the Gophs.

Maryland has the under armour money much like Oregon has Nike. Still they're stuck in the East. The one that has always baffled me is Illinois, in the West division have Chicago and St Louis as near by recruiting hotbeds. There's no excuse for that school not to win in football or hoops

Please explain.

Superior talent level in the state as well as neighboring state Virginia to recruit from and the support of Under Armour with facilities, uniforms etc. It's really not that hard to grasp. As the author points out, look at the contributions Phil Knight has made to Oregon and what that has done for them. No reason the same can't happen with Kevin Plank and Maryland especially considering Marlyand has better in-state and surrounding talent than what Oregon has.

Superior talent level in the state as well as neighboring state Virginia to recruit from and the support of Under Armour with facilities, uniforms etc. It's really not that hard to grasp. As the author points out, look at the contributions Phil Knight has made to Oregon and what that has done for them. No reason the same can't happen with Kevin Plank and Maryland especially considering Marlyand has better in-state and surrounding talent than what Oregon has.

Yeah they've been out recruiting us.

We beat Maryland last year 31-10

We won 9 games in 2016

They won a total of 9 games in 2015-2016 combined.

I like our future over Marylands. Who cares if their recruits are better in the last few years.

Anyone else surprised, bewildered, or....shocked with Wisconsin over Nebraska? Think of Nebby's tradition, facilities are top notch, recruiting has been good. Academics obviously go one way but he is talking football jobs. Maybe it's my bias but I can't agree with this one at all. Now who's with me...Buck the Fadgers! Get that axe PJ!!!

We beat Maryland last year 31-10

We won 9 games in 2016

They won a total of 9 games in 2015-2016 combined.

I like our future over Marylands. Who cares if their recruits are better in the last few years.

Who cares?

Minnesota and Notre Dame have both won the exact same amount of games over the last 3 years (22) and Minnesota has won 6 more games than Texas has over the last 4 years. That doesn't mean that Minnesota is an equal job to ND and a better job than Texas. We are talking about the prospects of long term success and sustainability which makes one job better than the other and frankly, I believe Maryland has a decent edge over us as well as several other programs in that regard.

Being behind Illinois is the only thing that really bugs me about this list from a Gopher perspective. I'd be even more upset if I were a jNW fan...I understand that they have some challenges with their academics but nobody should be behind Rutgers.

All that and since 2001 and MD has won what, five more games than Gophs? Other than a couple 3 year spurts every 15 or so years in the past 50, MD has been pretty bad at times with a lot of 2, 3, 4 win seasons.

Not knowing that the Minnesota stadium is on campus and not downtown made me think "lazy journalism" right away.

Most of you guys are paying attention to the wrong things. A few seasons of wins don't mean much in terms of the quality of the job. The Texas example is perfect. We've won more games than them in recent years and we are in a power conference just like them, but no one would call this a better job.

Money and recruiting base matter a lot more. It's not like we don't have money, but we certainly don't have a donor handing over blank checks like Knight at Oregon, Pickens at OK State, Plank at Maryland, or any one of the oil money guys in Texas. Look at our state and neighboring states in terms of the quality of recruits they produce. Doesn't even compare to pretty much any state in the south or the Ohio/Pennsylvania area. Or any school that borders California.

National perception doesn't help either. We've had a few solid seasons, but nothing that does enough to move the needle nationally. This is the main difference between us and Wisconsin. Breaking through and winning a B1G West title (which is doable) or making a Top 6 bowl game would do wonders.

It's sort of the opposite of our hockey program. The best recruiting base in the nation. One of the few college hockey programs that is actually turns a profit which enables us to outspend everyone if we want to. A committed fan base. It will be a top 3 job regardless of wins and losses for the foreseeable future because of those things.

Top Bottom