CoachingSearch.com: P.J. Fleck: 'Comparisons will steal your joy'

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Coaching Search:

P.J. Fleck has heard the comparisons to another outspoken Minnesota coach, but he says to forget about it.

In 2007, Tim Brewster took over the Gophers with an enthusiastic personality and went 1-11. He reached two bowl games, but was dismissed after a 1-6 start in 2010.

Now Fleck has taken over with his own outgoing personality, though with a track record as a head coach. Fleck joined KFAN recently and was asked about those comparisons.

“The one thing people ask me, what’s the hardest thing you’ve had to overcome in your first five, six months? It’s really the thought process,” Fleck said. ”The way we think, the way we act, the way we talk about Gopher football. At times, ‘Oh, we’ll screw it up at the end,’ or ‘We haven’t, couldn’t, shouldn’t, never have in the last half-century.’ Sooner or later, those things have to change. Comparison will steal your joy.

“Think of anything. You compare your boat to your neighbor’s boat, you’re always going to want a bigger boat. You’re always going to want something you don’t have. If we compare ourselves to the past, I tell our fans, just let everything go. There’s a new era, a new culture, new ideas, new offense, new defense, special teams, and why can’t we? We have to turn those woulda, coulda, shoulda into ‘We can, we will.’ It’s just a matter of time. That’s one of the biggest challenges.”

http://coachingsearch.com/article?a=PJ-Fleck-Comparisons-will-steal-your-joy

Go Gophers!!

I didn't watch the video. If someone steals your joy, can you still have happiness?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Much truth in what he says. However people in "general life" get hung up about what he saying. They just hang on to the negative.

I didn't watch the video. If someone steals your joy, can you still have happiness?

If you got your joy back would that make you happy?

Badgers have been stealing my joy for 13 years running.

Much truth in what he says. However people in "general life" get hung up about what he saying. They just hang on to the negative.

Is "General Life" the place where you are before you ascend to a high state of consciousness?

Thou shall not covet... Where have I heard that before? Lol

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Nope. Didn't you hear? He took less boat to be here.

I forgot that..plus he'll be spending so much time "rebuilding"* the program he won't get much time on the boat for the next 3-4 years.

I'd say Fleck hit the nail on the head and figured things out very quickly. Good for him for putting it out there. He's looking for support and belief.

I forgot that..plus he'll be spending so much time "rebuilding"* the program he won't get much time on the boat for the next 3-4 years.

Fleck himself has said that this is not a rebuild. Your post is nonsense.

Fleck himself has said that this is not a rebuild. Your post is nonsense.

I'm not sure what that is worth though.

At this point it should be a rule for every coach that even when rebuilding, you just don't use that word.

Top Bottom