Can Minnesota Football reclaim Paul Bunyan’s Axe this year?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Barikmo:

If the Gophers plan on actually winning, this might be the year to do it. The program has gotten a jump-start with the hiring of head coach PJ Fleck, which has brought new energy and hope to the team. Minnesota is also bringing back one of the best backfield duos in the conference in Rodney Smith and Shannon Brooks. The Gophers offense should also expect a boost from dual-threat quarterback Demry Croft, who is expected to be the replacement for Mitch Leidner. Minnesota is returning other stars in receiver Rashad Still and last year’s leading tackler Steven Richardson.

This year’s team definitely has a chance to beat Wisconsin, who lost several of their key defensive players after last year and are led by a quarterback who has proven himself to be capable at best. This could be one of the weakest Badger squads of the past few years and Minnesota could, finally, hold onto the axe when everything is said and done.

http://www.isportsweb.com/2017/06/1...w-this-season-will-go-for-minnesota-football/

Go Gophers!!

per Barikmo, this year could be the year.

Can Minnesota Football reclaim Paul Bunyan’s Axe this year?

Of course they can. They could have last year, too.

With last years victory, the Badgers evened the series for the first time since 1901. If they lose this season, the Gophers will trail in the series for the FIRST TIME in a series that dates to 1890 and has been played more times than any other in FBS.

This is the must win of all must wins !!!!

With last years victory, the Badgers evened the series for the first time since 1901. If they lose this season, the Gophers will trail in the series for the FIRST TIME in a series that dates to 1890 and has been played more times than any other in FBS.

This is the must win of all must wins !!!!

Not true, according to GopherHole: http://www.gopherhole.com/fbopponents. If this is accurate, we still lead the series 59-58-8.

They've a very weak schedule. One the flip side, Hornibrook their QB is average at best. If he goes down they've a problem. Here's how bad. I would take our two deep at QB over Wisconsin.
I think the game will boil down to which team is beatup the most?.

Well we've been right there past four years usually you have to compete before you can win and we've been painfully right there. Bring a lot back next year no reason to believe otherwise

Rashad still is a star? Richardson leading tackler?

We discussed this in another thread. I think Gopherhole is just not updated. I do believe it is tied 59-59-8.

You are right though it does say that on the link.

Didn't we determine that one of their wins didn't count because we were bad that year and they didn't beat us by enough?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wisconsin is still a lot better than us. We will have a shot this year, but I wouldn't count on it. They might have the best defensive system in the country and their QB is frustratingly effective. They will be a typical badger team. Nobody will be happier than me when their 'run' is over, but I don't think we are there yet. badger losses are more important to me than Gopher wins.

Didn't we determine that one of their wins didn't count because we were bad that year and they didn't beat us by enough?

Only when you are viewing the rivalry through Maroon and Gold glasses. :p But yes that was the thread.

He called Rashad Still a "star" ??? Maybe he has a break-out year this fall, but let's pump the brakes a bit now

I'm just going to be a glass half empty and say no. Fleck said it will take awhile for kids to buy into his system (culture) and I expect there to be growing pains as well. I'm hopeful we can beat them in the next 2-3 years but I'm not holding my breath this year...

Rashad still is a star? Richardson leading tackler?

TFLs...sure. To be fair, this kid is in school and puts out material that is more interesting and easily s accurate as Dienhart. This may be a little harsh but it's undeniably polarizing and a talker:

The seemingly impossible almost happened in 2016, which saw the Gophers go into halftime up by double-digits, only to have Minnesota’s Patron Saint of Disappointment Mitch Leidner throw four second-half interceptions and pick up his most magnificent loss. Gopher fans have endured many tough losses throughout this dry spell and are anxious for a win, which can’t come soon enough.

Is it possible? sure. Injuries, penalties, turnovers, bad calls by the zebras (which favor the Gophers - yes, I know that's a strange concept), add it all up, and the Gophs have a chance.

On a more serious basis - Until facts prove me wrong, I expect the Gophs to be a good run-defense team this year, featuring one of the more athletic LB groups I can remember in close to 50 years as a Gopher fan. It may be a cliche, but it's true - run the ball, stop the run, chance to win. If the D can keep the game close, the Offense just needs to put some points on the board.

OK, let's visualize:

clock running down. Gophers in FG range. Carpenter trots on the field. Here's the snap.....good hold.....the kick is up.....it's long enough.......it's straight enough.......GOPHERS WIN. GOPHERS WIN. Madness ensures.

Damn, now that's something to dream about. Not quite as good as Scarlett Johanssen taking a bubble bath, but to each his own.

It is a stone cold lock.

Being on the wrong side of 70, I hope like hell it's sooner rather than later.

We've endured for 13 years. Gopher fans are tough. Wisconsin on the other hand won't know how to handle a loss if we win. The whole " Cheese head " culture revolves around beating the
Gophers. Their paranoid fan base will melt like the "Wicked witch of the West" and I expect many of them will "go over the hill". I'm sure there are a certain group of fans over on Buckyville
that their wives, girlfriends, and significant others will have to remove a wire coathangers from the closet.

Top Bottom