Off Tackle Empire: So let’s talk about P.J. Fleck and the Minnesota Golden Gophers

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Off Tackle Empire:

Fleck is a salesman, and his biggest goal is selling his brand. No point in trying to deny this one. If it weren’t true, we wouldn’t have oars on Gopher stuff. Problematic for oldsters, but it’s a package deal with Peter Judas Fleck. He absolutely is using Minnesota for his purposes. But you know what? That’s not the worst thing in the world by a long shot. The worst-case scenario is that he succeeds here, returns Minnesota to the lofty heights the program had when my Grandfathers were young, and leaves for a bigger job in 4 years. (The second-worst is that he falls flat on his face, but Minnesotans do appreciate some good schadenfreude so we’d win there too.) Tell me again where we lose here? Other than oars on our uniforms, it’d be a nice problem to have.

At the end of the day, everything that’s a negative about P.J. Fleck is worrisome, but should in no way turn off Gopher fans from what he wants to do for and with us. Every time I get worked up about what he’s doing, I just have to take a step back and think “Well, what would you have thought when you were 17?” and then I go to the gym and run through a brick wall and fight a few crossfitters. And then, before I collapse into a heap, I thank the almighty that we have him instead of what it looked like we had a year ago.

http://www.offtackleempire.com/2017/6/13/15788654/so-lets-talk-about-p-j-fleck-and-minnesota

Go Gophers!!

I would take the first scenario in a heartbeat. In four years we have won the west and gone to a Rose Bowl, it would be a easy sell to a known commodity. Bring in a big name coach at that point. The second scenario is all to familiar to Gopher fans, so lets stay away from that one.

I would take the first scenario in a heartbeat. In four years we have won the west and gone to a Rose Bowl, it would be a easy sell to a known commodity. Bring in a big name coach at that point. The second scenario is all to familiar to Gopher fans, so lets stay away from that one.

Agreed. Not sure how the first scenario is "worst-case" at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly can't see him leaving/gone any time soon other than the second scenario, which I think is very unlikely. U will give him an extension and bump after 2019 if successful, no question in my mind. Size of the bump will be based on how successful he has been.

I'm not going to say we are a top program, but I don't know how many other college towns could be a better fit for the wife, kids, and him. But I am wrong a lot.

Look, Fleck is still a relatively young guy. Who knows how his views on life and his goals will change. I know I am a very different person at 61 than I was in my early 30's. (sadly, not a better person, but that is a topic for another thread.) Fleck could stay at the U of MN for decades - or he could stay for 4 or 5 years and bolt for another challenge. I don't know. you don't know. And - more importantly - I'm not sure Fleck knows.

Personally, I just can't wait to see him on our sideline. Can't believe it's going to happen. Fleck in Gopher gear, bringing the energy, enthusiasm, and intensity to Minnesota. Can't wait.

All things considered, I would have taken Fleck over Herman or any other hire this offseason. It's going to be a great run!

Fleck's middle name is Judas. I got premonitions flying everywhere with that revelation. [emoji15] [emoji57] [emoji41]

Fleck's middle name is Judas. I got premonitions flying everywhere with that revelation. [emoji15] [emoji57] [emoji41]

It's not. Read the whole article....

Phillip John Fleck (the correct one)
Pierre Jean-Luc Fleck
Patrick Jameson Fleck
Peter Judas Fleck

It's not. Read the whole article....

Phillip John Fleck (the correct one)
Pierre Jean-Luc Fleck
Patrick Jameson Fleck
Peter Judas Fleck
JUDAS!!!! Ahhhh......[emoji33] [emoji57] [emoji41] [emoji109]

All things considered, I would have taken Fleck over Herman or any other hire this offseason. It's going to be a great run!

As off put as I am by his cliches I don't think I would want anyone else here right now either. I think it's highly likely he's the right man for the right job at the right time.

When we start seeing: " Join us for Gopher Football " on every watering hole across the State I'll know the culture has changed. When I see equal coverage in the Strib of both Gophers and Vikings, I'll know the culture has changed.

When we start seeing: " Join us for Gopher Football " on every watering hole across the State I'll know the culture has changed. When I see equal coverage in the Strib of both Gophers and Vikings, I'll know the culture has changed.

Don't hold your breath.

Never going to happen. But for whatever reason you continue to post about how butthurt you are about the Vikings.

I don't see that for the Vikings very often even...

As off put as I am by his cliches I don't think I would want anyone else here right now either. I think it's highly likely he's the right man for the right job at the right time.

Right there with you on this take.

Agreed. Not sure how the first scenario is "worst-case" at all.

Agreed. In order of "worst cases":

1. Gets into big time NCAA trouble, program gets death penalty. University officials decide to eliminate football and implode TCF Bank stadium to "save money" and invite Bucky Badger to push the button.
2. Gets into big time NCAA trouble, spared from death penalty but on probation for enough years that anyone born between 1967 and today will not see a B1G title or division title in their collective lives.
3. Wins 1 game during his first three years combined. Program is such a mess they end up only able to hire Bud Grant's second cousins' step child who has never even seen a football game.
4. Program wins 5 games next year, 6 games 2018, 7 games 2019, 6 games 2020... Good enough to make Bowl games most years, that's it. Every year is filled with hope, but they find ways to snatch defeat out of the jaws of victory. Maybe a new coordinator here? Maybe a new assistant there? Maybe if the U loosened their admittance requirements?
5. Program goes 12-1 next year, loss is to B1G West winner Wisconsin and PJ Fleck gets hired by Michigan after Harbaugh goes back to the NFL. The U decides to promote from within and program has one of the first four happen under the new coach.

Etcetera.

If he has four successful years as the author describes, I certainly won't want him to leave but that is FAR from the worst case scenario!

Agreed. In order of "worst cases":

1. Gets into big time NCAA trouble, program gets death penalty. University officials decide to eliminate football and implode TCF Bank stadium to "save money" and invite Bucky Badger to push the button.
2. Gets into big time NCAA trouble, spared from death penalty but on probation for enough years that anyone born between 1967 and today will not see a B1G title or division title in their collective lives.
3. Wins 1 game during his first three years combined. Program is such a mess they end up only able to hire Bud Grant's second cousins' step child who has never even seen a football game.
4. Program wins 5 games next year, 6 games 2018, 7 games 2019, 6 games 2020... Good enough to make Bowl games most years, that's it. Every year is filled with hope, but they find ways to snatch defeat out of the jaws of victory. Maybe a new coordinator here? Maybe a new assistant there? Maybe if the U loosened their admittance requirements?
5. Program goes 12-1 next year, loss is to B1G West winner Wisconsin and PJ Fleck gets hired by Michigan after Harbaugh goes back to the NFL. The U decides to promote from within and program has one of the first four happen under the new coach.

Etcetera.

If he has four successful years as the author describes, I certainly won't want him to leave but that is FAR from the worst case scenario!

whats life like being this miserable all the time

whats life like being this miserable all the time

You might be missing the point. We were having fun with what the article said was "worst case".

What? You didn't take me serious????

As Spoofin said, the point is that they said the "worst case scenario" was that he was really successful here and left after four years and there are a lot of things that could happen that are MUCH worse than that.

I don't believe any of them are likely to happen (I guess other than the middling record is possible I suppose). I have said multiple times that if I was in charge and knew Fleck would come here I would have fired Claeys on the spot to get Fleck, regardless of everything else. I think he is going to do great things here. But even with that I'm realistic enough to understand that he may not succeed. I hope he does, but there's no guarantee. To say the worst thing would be him succeeding so much he got hired elsewhere is silly.

Top Bottom