WR Rashod Bateman commits

Calm down and cut it out with the martyr complex. I don't care about a physician's opinion on law. I don't care about an attorney's opinion on my car's engine. I don't care about a mechanic's opinion on medicine. Yet you state that I'm supposed to care about the recruiting opinion of a casual fan who doesn't care about recruiting or follow it. But why? Why should I care about the opinion of a person who has zero expertise on a subject? I'm sure that my 5-year-old daughter would express an opinion on the state of Gophers football recruiting if I asked her. I don't ask her for her opinion because I don't care what her feelings are on the topic - she has zero interest in or expertise on the subject.

How often do you have to replace the beaten, battered and worn-out letter "I" on your keyboard?

How often do you have to replace the beaten, battered and worn-out letter "I" on your keyboard?

I'm not going to apologize for having opinions and expressing them on a message board. Am I supposed to post to share other people's opinions?

I'm not going to apologize for having opinions and expressing them on a message board. Am I supposed to post to share other people's opinions?

Not at all. Opinions are why forums like this exist, and it's always enjoyable reading the broad spectrum of thought. Your posts in particular are interesting and thought-provoking. It's just that your posts generally seem to be...self-occupied.

<b>Hell I'd argue at times 30 to 50 ... 50+ even can be a wash.</b>

I'll be happy if we move up, but gotta temper what we think we'll get because of it.

I would agree 100% with this. Only used 40th & 46th in my statement as that was the poster's example of where one would have to be "stupid" to not know which was better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hell I'd argue at times 30 to 50 ... 50+ even can be a wash.

I'll be happy if we move up, but gotta temper what we think we'll get because of it.

Yep, and great coaching and a staff's ability to develop that talent is critical.

In my personal experience, stars do matter to the casual fan. I would say the majority of our season ticket holder group of 22 would be considered casual fans. When a 3 star player commits, our group chat does not mention it. When the local paper runs an article about the Gophers landing a 4 star player, the whole group gets involved and talks about it. People at work who are casual fans come up to me and ask about the 4 star player that committed, never about the 3 star player. The more people are talking about the Gophers in a positive light, the better.

So yes, I do care about the opinion of a casual fan on recruiting, because it gets that casual fan talking about the program.

The more casual fans we can get talking about the program, the more excitement about the program, which puts more butts in the seats, which makes my game day experience that much better.

With the 2016 schedule we had its very mediocre. 9 wins with the 2015 schedule would have been very good.

You do realize he was making an analogy...right?

Yep, and great coaching and a staff's ability to develop that talent is critical.

Yup, gotta be able to coach them + just some dumb luck that some of your guys turn out to be far better than their *s.

As much as I hated to see the Kill/Claeys era end, Fleck has certainly raised the bar in our ability to recruit. His style is appealing to an impressionable young recruit, he believes in himself, his staff and Minnesota. Every recruit at this point is a 3 star, I can't remember the last time that happened! Mix in a few 4 stars, (if not this year, certainly next) and Minnesota is about to see a return to Gopher football that will rival only the seasons we have read about in history books.

The best is yet to come for Fleck and company, I am officially ready for the ride.

Rivals and Scout don't have all as 3*.

In my personal experience, stars do matter to the casual fan. I would say the majority of our season ticket holder group of 22 would be considered casual fans. When a 3 star player commits, our group chat does not mention it. When the local paper runs an article about the Gophers landing a 4 star player, the whole group gets involved and talks about it. People at work who are casual fans come up to me and ask about the 4 star player that committed, never about the 3 star player. The more people are talking about the Gophers in a positive light, the better.

So yes, I do care about the opinion of a casual fan on recruiting, because it gets that casual fan talking about the program.

The more casual fans we can get talking about the program, the more excitement about the program, which puts more butts in the seats, which makes my game day experience that much better

This

I read multiple posts talking about the apathy, how the Gophers are behind the Vikings, non-sellout crowds, etc. and then go to disregard the opinions and motivations of those casual fans the U needs to get. IMO casual fans need equal consideration as diehards in the U's decision making process in order to build the fan base. So, touting things like top 15 recruiting class (even if it's only June) makes sense to me. Not saying that any individual here needs to give a rats a$$ about anyone's opinion (casual or diehard).

The more casual fans we can get talking about the program, the more excitement about the program, which puts more butts in the seats, which makes my game day experience that much better.

Does your group chat distinguish between "high" and "low" 3-star recruits?

A few of us know the difference. The rest dont have a clue

This

I read multiple posts talking about the apathy, how the Gophers are behind the Vikings, non-sellout crowds, etc. and then go to disregard the opinions and motivations of those casual fans the U needs to get. IMO casual fans need equal consideration as diehards in the U's decision making process in order to build the fan base. So, touting things like top 15 recruiting class (even if it's only June) makes sense to me. Not saying that any individual here needs to give a rats a$$ about anyone's opinion (casual or diehard).

A few of us know the difference. The rest dont have a clue

Would there be more excitement in your group of a recruiting class ranked 30th versus one ranked 50th...even if in all reality the difference is talent between the two was negligible?

Would there be more excitement in your group of a recruiting class ranked 30th versus one ranked 50th...even if in all reality the difference is talent between the two was negligible?

If that ranking put us above Wisconsin, Iowa or any other number of programs. You point to that, and the casual fan gets excited. Even if that ranking is just based off having 2 more total recruits, the casual fan doesn't realize that.

Thank you. that is the point I was trying to make. To build the fan base, and create more buzz for this program, the fan base has to expand beyond the hard-core fans. Hard-core fans are great - but there just aren't enough of them, sadly. The program needs to be inclusive - not exclusive. It's counter-productive to dismiss prospective fans just because they don't fit someone else's definition of what a "fan" should be. If they put on the Maroon and Gold, pay for a seat, and root for the Gophers, they should be welcomed - whether they can explain the difference between a low-3-star and a high 3-star or not. (assuming there is a difference.........)

Casual fans are free to have their opinion on recruiting - wonderful, more power to them. I still have yet to see why I'm supposed to care what that opinion is. They are willfully ignorant on the topic (some here fitting that description as well), so their opinion means nothing to me. If they want to educate themselves and formulate an opinion based on facts and data - great, let's have at it. Opinions based on feelings and perception are worthless and not worth consideration.

Casual fans are free to have their opinion on recruiting - wonderful, more power to them. I still have yet to see why I'm supposed to care what that opinion is. They are willfully ignorant on the topic (some here fitting that description as well), so their opinion means nothing to me. If they want to educate themselves and formulate an opinion based on facts and data - great, let's have at it. Opinions based on feelings and perception are worthless and not worth consideration.

Y0dRszs.gif

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

He helps his team avoid short field situations!

per Greder:

Heading into Saturday’s game against Nebraska, the Gophers (4-5, 1-5 Big Ten) have struggled in the passing game, ranking 118th among 129 programs nationwide. Quarterbacks Conor Rhoda and Demry Croft have had an increasingly difficult time finding open receivers — primarily Tyler Johnson, whose early success has drawn more attention from defenses and left the Gophers short on other options.

Enter the crop of receivers in the 2018 recruiting class: Jornell Manns of Mansfield, Ohio, Eric Gibson of Detroit and Rashod Bateman of Tifton, Ga.

At 6-foot-2 and 180 pounds, Bateman attends Tift County about 200 miles south of Atlanta. He has climbed the Georgia high school record book for receiving yards in a season. He has 1,249 yards in 10 games in the state’s biggest class and is a deep, potentially five-game playoff run away from surpassing Demarco Robinson’s top mark of 1,655 yards in 2010.

Before the season, Bateman had been offered basketball scholarships to Penn State and Viriginia Tech. As a shooting guard, he scored 18 points in Tift County’s state championship game victory in March.

Bateman’s first love is football, so when the Gophers secondary coach Mo Linquist developed a relationship with him last summer, he proved himself at a camp and then jumped at the scholarship offer to come to Minnesota. Fleck and Simon’s development of Davis at Western Michigan was a catalyst in picking Minnesota.

“It’s a nice place,” Bateman said. “To be around elite people with this coaching staff, I’ve seen them do big things, and I know we can do big things. I want to be a part of something special at Minnesota.”

“I’m locked in with Minnesota all the way,” Bateman said Wednesday. He plays to sign a letter of intent during the early signing period in December and enroll next summer, after he plays his senior basketball season and graduates from high school.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/11/0...d-bateman-will-arrive-just-in-time-next-fall/

Go Gophers!!

per Greder:

Heading into Saturday’s game against Nebraska, the Gophers (4-5, 1-5 Big Ten) have struggled in the passing game, ranking 118th among 129 programs nationwide. Quarterbacks Conor Rhoda and Demry Croft have had an increasingly difficult time finding open receivers — primarily Tyler Johnson, whose early success has drawn more attention from defenses and left the Gophers short on other options.

Enter the crop of receivers in the 2018 recruiting class: Jornell Manns of Mansfield, Ohio, Eric Gibson of Detroit and Rashod Bateman of Tifton, Ga.

At 6-foot-2 and 180 pounds, Bateman attends Tift County about 200 miles south of Atlanta. He has climbed the Georgia high school record book for receiving yards in a season. He has 1,249 yards in 10 games in the state’s biggest class and is a deep, potentially five-game playoff run away from surpassing Demarco Robinson’s top mark of 1,655 yards in 2010.

Before the season, Bateman had been offered basketball scholarships to Penn State and Viriginia Tech. As a shooting guard, he scored 18 points in Tift County’s state championship game victory in March.

Bateman’s first love is football, so when the Gophers secondary coach Mo Linquist developed a relationship with him last summer, he proved himself at a camp and then jumped at the scholarship offer to come to Minnesota. Fleck and Simon’s development of Davis at Western Michigan was a catalyst in picking Minnesota.

“It’s a nice place,” Bateman said. “To be around elite people with this coaching staff, I’ve seen them do big things, and I know we can do big things. I want to be a part of something special at Minnesota.”

“I’m locked in with Minnesota all the way,” Bateman said Wednesday. He plays to sign a letter of intent during the early signing period in December and enroll next summer, after he plays his senior basketball season and graduates from high school.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/11/0...d-bateman-will-arrive-just-in-time-next-fall/

Go Gophers!!

Damn, it'd be huge to get him to walk on to the basketball team. Offers from Penn St. and Va Tech?

Top Bottom