WR Rashod Bateman commits

I live an hour and a half from Rashad so maybe I will go visit him in my Gopher gear and beg him to stay. On the other hand, I will not be mad and couldn’t blame him if he goes to Georgia. He’s three hours from Athens so it is closer for his family, he’s got elite level quarterbacks to throw to him, and the coach there is going to be Nick Sabin 2.0. Unlike some other cities in southern Georgia, Tifton is Bulldog Country not Florida State territory. The college there in Tifton is a satellite campus of UGA. I’m actually surprised Georgia hasn’t called him sooner. Again, I hope he stays at Gopher but again couldn’t blame and if he went there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As always is the case in situations like these...it comes down to whether Bateman want to play the waiting game or not. At Minnesota, he's the pie in the sky prospect where he's built strong relationships with coaches and recruits. At Georgia, he's the 2nd or 3rd guy they are considering at WR and will have to wait on a committable offer that may never come (They are going to wait on Tommy Bush for however long it takes him to decide). There's also the fact UGA have verbals from two 5* WRs in next year's class already. Like U2G said, Georgia's looking like they are going to be Bama after Bama in taking over the SEC and for a kid born down there that would be tough to turn down even if playing time will be hard to come by.

I think Bateman sticks and signs early. He knows he'll be a focal point in our offense for however long he sticks around and Fleck's a dynamic enough recruiter where we should have the QB(s) to get him the ball. Even if he vists there this weekend I'm not going to stress about it until he pushes his signing date back.

We get guys that meet that criteria almost every year...

Which were the guys even in the last three recruiting cycles that came to Minnesota over scholarship offers from their home state SEC school?

Fleck did just put a WR in the NFL as the 5th Overall pick (Cory Davis).
I believe Georgia's highest WR last year was pick 172 (Isaiah MacKenzie)

I hope he stays true to his commitment. This is the down side of early NSDs - may encourage early vulturism.

He has to be carefull if UGA is waiting on a 5* WR to make up his mind. They'll drop him on the fly.

At MN he is a sure thing about starting and be a shining star.

But, if he flips I hope he does very soon so that we can get Verdis Brown before he is gone.

So thanking schools for offering him counts as "not shutting everything down"? Its not like schools are going to stop offering him just because he said he's shutting everything down. IMO he's just being polite.

As bobby Bowden said a verbal just let him know who he was competing with.

Can you run down the comparisons for every other year too?

AJ Green on the phone is a pretty solid trump card.

Can you run down the comparisons for every other year too?

Every other year doesn't matter? Kirby Smart was a D.C. in his past role. In the small sample size vs Smart, Fleck has a better track record with WRs.

He is a Gopher because he says he is a Gopher.
He said he WILL sign on December 20. No reason to doubt the young man.

Every other year doesn't matter? Kirby Smart was a D.C. in his past role. In the small sample size vs Smart, Fleck has a better track record with WRs.

There it is. PJ will consistently turn out higher rated WRs, wherever he is, than UGA. I'm starting to wonder why any WR would go to UGA?

There it is. PJ will consistently turn out higher rated WRs, wherever he is, than UGA. I'm starting to wonder why any WR would go to UGA?

Not saying this is the case but it's what PJ is probably selling when it comes to WRs. I mean.. right now he does have a better track record than Kirby. Will that change in the Future? Possibly (5* talent vs 3* - 4*).

Not saying this is the case but it's what PJ is probably selling when it comes to WRs. I mean.. right now he does have a better track record than Kirby. Will that change in the Future? Possibly (5* talent vs 3* - 4*).

Here are couple things he could sell.

He had a wide receiver selected in top 5 of the NFL draft.

PJ Fleck was a wide receiver himself in the NFL for 2 seasons.

Fleck was also a WR Coach in the NFL.

I hate to say it, but under previous staffs I would've been worried about losing this kid. Sitting here right now, I'm not worried at all. I think Fleck and Co just recruit and connect with kids in a different way. They're selling them on an entire vision for their lives -- not just on football. So I say let the offers roll in. It just makes our class look better when the kids sign.

i'm still hopeful that Bateman want's to make a name for himse

I hate to say it, but under previous staffs I would've been worried about losing this kid. Sitting here right now, I'm not worried at all. I think Fleck and Co just recruit and connect with kids in a different way. They're selling them on an entire vision for their lives -- not just on football. So I say let the offers roll in. It just makes our class look better when the kids sign.

Why be compared to AJ Green or other UGA greats, hopefully he is ready to make the Bateman name synonymous with greatness and being one of the Elite receivers in the history books at Minnesota.
It would be pretty damn awesome to hear him some day on NFL Sunday night football, say Rashod Bateman University of Minnesota, Row the Boat and SKI-U-Mah, has a nice ring to it to standing out from the crowd and being different than anyone else.

Hyperbole yes, but he has a chance to be unique and different by staking his claim to rebuilding a once proud championship level program.

There is something to be said about doing great things and changing culture and the mentality, of elevating a whole program and rising above being thought of as less and to achieving potential greatness.
I think Fleck with the right players can do that with a program like Minnesota. He said "you didn't choose me, but I chose you" in his opening press conference. He is determined to raise this programs profile and restore the spotlight and shine on "Golden" Gophers. That is why he say's thing's like I'm doing "elite" because he believes Minnesota and the players he bring's hear to Minnesota can be those things. Color me with Maroon and Gold colored glasses, but I'm hopeful this recruiting surge is going to bring great things to the Minnesota Gophers.

If we lose Bateman, Fleck has until February to find a replacement. This is a huge benefit to early signing. FWIW, VV and the "new OL" should convince Bateman to stay IF he has any doubts.

Actually not to be a Debbie Downer but ZERO has "happened". Commitments are not NLIs, that happens on the 20th. If he doesn't sign I'm sure Fleck has a backup plan and he does have time to go after new prospects with the February date as well. Plus our track record with other 4 star receivers has not worked out. We need a 5 star to try out! Or was Hayo one?

What a ridiculous take. What’s the percentage of verbals That commit? I’d guess over 80% and that only increases later in the recruiting season. So we’ve gone from almost 0% chance of getting the guy to roughly 90% and this is ZERO. Got it.

Actually not to be a Debbie Downer but ZERO has "happened". Commitments are not NLIs, that happens on the 20th. If he doesn't sign I'm sure Fleck has a backup plan and he does have time to go after new prospects with the February date as well. Plus our track record with other 4 star receivers has not worked out. We need a 5 star to try out! Or was Hayo one?

OK if not Curtis Dunlap on a technicality....Michael Carter signed with us over an offer from home state Florida in 2009.

I hope he stays true to his commitment. This is the down side of early NSDs - may encourage early vulturism.

He has to be carefull if UGA is waiting on a 5* WR to make up his mind. They'll drop him on the fly.

At MN he is a sure thing about starting and be a shining star.

But, if he flips I hope he does very soon so that we can get Verdis Brown before he is gone.
I think the early signing day helps us in cases like this. By December 20, players will have a good idea how serious teams like Georgia are. If they don't have a comfortable offer on the first signing day, maybe they're more likely take us as the sure thing.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

What a ridiculous take. What’s the percentage of verbals That commit? I’d guess over 80% and that only increases later in the recruiting season. So we’ve gone from almost 0% chance of getting the guy to roughly 90% and this is ZERO. Got it.

Wow, upset about possibly losing Bateman? Yes zero has happened yet, these are commitments, not signed on the dotted line. Now, I agree with you tremendous strides are made in recruiting and yes I agree with you probably 80% sign, no disagreement there. Maybe you misunderstood me, my point is that these croots can all be poached and many do. Nothing is a done deal until these guys sign. If say 3-4 of our top recruits get poached then I would say this moves from a very good class to a good one. NSD can't come soon enough for me so we do t have that happen!

Just don't bring up AJ Barker. Just his mom's best friend.

Bateman has had a lot of contact with the rest of the class and he was tweeting about being excited about his new QB Vic.

Hopefully he has good and genuine relationships with the rest of the guys which would hopefully make it tougher for him to change his mind when the late-to-the-party interests show up.

Wow, upset about possibly losing Bateman? Yes zero has happened yet, these are commitments, not signed on the dotted line. Now, I agree with you tremendous strides are made in recruiting and yes I agree with you probably 80% sign, no disagreement there. Maybe you misunderstood me, my point is that these croots can all be poached and many do. Nothing is a done deal until these guys sign. If say 3-4 of our top recruits get poached then I would say this moves from a very good class to a good one. NSD can't come soon enough for me so we do t have that happen!

Your response was actually about Dunlap. To say that nothing has been accomplished when we’re pulling a four and high three star with offers from everyone from SEC-Land in December is a false portrayal. The program has shifted its recruiting gears up two speeds and that’s evident. I understand your point that nothing is set in stone until NLI but the way you’re making it is distracting and inaccurate.

I've seen this mentioned twice but assuming it's sarcasm

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

591 rushing attempts to 244 pass attempts? That's not run heavy? I didn't realize our stats are about the same though...

Which were the guys even in the last three recruiting cycles that came to Minnesota over scholarship offers from their home state SEC school?

My bad, I meant just guys from SEC states. Not the home state I guess. To be fair I can only think of 2 that left here to play down there though.

Top Bottom