WR Rashod Bateman commits

Damn, it'd be huge to get him to walk on to the basketball team. Offers from Penn St. and Va Tech?
Has that worked out in recent years? I remember Barry Woehler in the early 80's. I think he started on football scholarship but ended up with the basketball team.
I don't recall any recent Gophers participating in both sports. I'd love to see it if Bateman could pull it off.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Has that worked out in recent years? I remember Barry Woehler in the early 80's. I think he started on football scholarship but ended up with the basketball team.
I don't recall any recent Gophers participating in both sports. I'd love to see it if Bateman could pull it off.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I remember some guys doing football and track or football and baseball, but not basketball.

I remember some guys doing football and track or football and baseball, but not basketball.
Dave Winfield played football, basketball and baseball for UMN. Probably the greatest all around athlete to ever attend the U.

As mentioned, Bryant Allen played both here. He was Mr. Basketball in the state of Missouri, but as I recall wasn't getting Power 5 offers in basketball like Bateman has. If Bateman's a scholarship football player, I'm not expecting him to start or play major minutes in basketball, but if he is good enough to have basketball offers of that quality - having him take up 5-10 minutes a game (as a non-scholarship player) would be fantastic.

Going way back, Bud Wilkinson also played hockey for the Gophers, along with obviously being a star football player.

Winfield never played football at the U. He was drafted by football teams, but that was just because he was a freak atelete.

Basketball:
Tony Dungy
Bud Grant

Hockey:
Ken Yackel
Noel Jenke

Bud Grant was a three sport athlete, football, basketball and baseball. Bobby Bell was on the basketball team and Jim Carter played hockey the same time that Noel Jenke played both. I think I remember Mark Carlson playing both football and baseball as did Eric Decker. There are several more dual sport athletes. Rodney Smith could be on the baseball team after his last year of football.

The football team is putting together a nice basketball team with Bateman and Tyler Johnson on the wings and Nate Wozniak in the post.

I recall Walt Bowser playing both football and hoops for the Gophers. Always wished Rick Upchurch would've come out for hoops...can you imagine?

STrib: Gophers wide receiver recruit Rashod Bateman earns four-star rating

The website 247Sports.com, which focuses on recruiting, released its latest Top247 list of the best football players in the high school Class of 2018, and a wide receiver who has verbally committed to the Gophers joined the list.

Rashod Bateman, a senior at Tift County High School in Tifton, Ga., is ranked No. 200 on the list after an outstanding season and has been upgraded to four-star status by the website. He is the highest-ranked Gophers recruit.

Bateman, 6-1½, 180 pounds, caught 83 passes for 1,539 yards and 21 touchdowns this season for the Blue Devils. He verbally committed to the Gophers in June, announced he was shutting down his recruitment on Nov. 19 and will make his official visit to Minnesota this weekend as part of the “eLITe18Palooza’’ recruiting event. On Nov. 29, Fleck, wide receivers coach Matt Simon and defensive backs coach Maurice Linguist (who recruits Georgia) visited Bateman at his home. That day also was Fleck’s and Bateman’s birthday.

Bateman is expected to sign his national letter of intent with the Gophers during the Dec. 20-22 early signing period.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-wide-receiver-recruit-earns-four-star-rating/462350083/

Go Gophers!!

The football team is putting together a nice basketball team with Bateman and Tyler Johnson on the wings and Nate Wozniak in the post.

Better scorer Wozniak or Konate'? I kid, I kid:p

Decker played baseball...drafted twice for baseball.

Bateman was offered by Tennessee today.

Rumor of a Georgia offering coming.

Hopefully he's busy rowing.

Bateman was offered by Tennessee today.

Rumor of a Georgia offering coming.

Hopefully he's busy rowing.

I'm not worried about Tennessee at all. Georgia maybe, but I think they are too late to the party, plus they run the ball 70 % of the time last year. Fleck meanwhile has the Corey Davis card he can always play.

Sounds like Georgia is doing just fine, and no mention of Bateman here.

From ESPN:

Offensive lineman Trey Hill, the No. 27-ranked prospect in the class of 2018, has decided to stay in his home state for college.

The nation's No. 1-ranked offensive guard committed to Georgia over Auburn on Monday in a recruitment that trended toward the Tigers for much of the season until a late run by the Bulldogs.

The 6-foot-5, 346-pound powerful interior run-blocker also included Florida and Florida State among his finalists, but this was a battle between the two programs that clashed during the regular season and in the SEC championship game.

Hill took multiple unofficial visits to Georgia and Auburn during the spring, summer and 2017 regular season.

The Bulldogs began gaining momentum during the season en route to the SEC championship and were given a boost when the nation's top-ranked prospect overall, outside linebacker Justin Fields, committed to Kirby Smart and staff on Oct. 6.

Georgia, which will play Oklahoma in the College Football Playoff Semifinal at the Rose Bowl Game presented by Northwestern Mutual, boasted the No. 5-ranked recruiting class prior to Hill's verbal. With Hill, the Bulldogs now have nine ESPN 300 pledges, with three coming after Fields' announcement: running back James Cook, pass-rusher Adam Anderson and Hill.

With Georgia topping Auburn for Hill's commitment, Smart & Co. are one step closer to again locking down the Peach State better than anyone. After signing four of the top five prospects in the 2017 class, and 11 of the top 20, the Bulldogs are now set up to do the same in 2018.

Georgia is the favorite to land five-star defensive end and recent Ohio State decommitment Brenton Cox and No. 2-ranked offensive guard Jamaree Salyer. The Bulldogs are also a threat to flip in-state ESPN 300 linebacker and Michigan verbal Otis Reese.

Georgia has the No. 1-ranked recruiting class in its sights, with ESPN 300 prospects Cade Mays (offensive tackle), Luke Ford (tight end), Micah Parsons (defensive end), one-time Tennessee verbal Alontae Taylor (receiver), Channing Tindall (linebacker) and five-star K.J. Henry (defensive end) still in play, along with Cox, Salyer and Reese.

Georgia signed the No. 3 class in February and has inked a top-10 class in nine of the 13 years ESPN has ranked prospects and recruiting classes. The Bulldogs have not signed back-to-back top-five classes during that span, which they will do in February.

Sounds like Georgia is doing just fine, and no mention of Bateman here.

From ESPN:

Offensive lineman Trey Hill, the No. 27-ranked prospect in the class of 2018, has decided to stay in his home state for college. The 6-foot-5, 346-pound interior run-blocker also included Florida and Florida State among his finalists.

Only 346 pounds. Pretty small compared to our two IMG recruits.

I hope the Gophers can keep Bateman in the family. He and Tyler Johnson and Demetrius Douglass, along with Chris Autumn Bell, would make the Gophers finally have a Big 10 level and worthy receiving corps. Virmontes will have a lot of options throwing to those 4 guys. It will be an exciting offense like the Wacker years. Hopefully we can put together a Big 10 defense much better tg ass the coach Wacker years.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Only 346 pounds. Pretty small compared to our two IMG recruits.

If the Faalele, from IMG, never plays a down, he still got more PR than any offensive lineman recruit since Henderson in the state of Minnesota -and specifically for the Gophers. Reminds me of Aaron Gibson back in 1999. Hopefully, he can be the big tackle we’re missing out on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the Faalele, from IMG, never plays a down, he still got more PR than any offensive lineman recruit since Henderson in the state of Minnesota -and specifically for the Gophers. Reminds me of Aaron Gibson back in 1999. Hopefully, he can be the big tackle we’re missing out on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree, Dunlap is likely to play four years here and potentially from day 1.

It's official...Georgia has offered Rashod. Here's the decision he has to make (if there's one to be made-praying there isn't!). He can come to Mn and compete immediately and make a serious impact as a top receiver OR flip to the Dawgs and compete with current starters AND compete with 94+ higher rated recruits. Next week will go very slow especially when yesterday, the Georgia coach Kirby Smart paid him a home visit.............C'mon PJ, don't fail us now!

https://247sports.com/player/rashod-bateman-46040957

Wait a second, I thought Coach Fleck would never "stoop" so low as to promise playing time to a recruit to get them in the door.

Wouldn't bother me a bit, if he did .... just saying.

A few weeks ago Bateman had tweeted he was 100% Gopher. Fully committed because he was getting additional interest.
We'll see how it goes.

Top Bottom