WCCO will continue to broadcast St. Thomas games.........

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
Per the Associated Press:

The University of St. Thomas says it has extended its contract with WCCO-AM radio to broadcast football through the 2019 season.

The station has been broadcasting St. Thomas games since a December 2010 playoff game, including two Stagg Bowl national title contests from Salem, Virginia. In all, 79 Tommie games have aired on WCCO, including 19 postseason playoff games.

WCCO's Dave Lee will continue to provide play-by-play for the Tommies, along with Eric Nelson on color commentary.

The Tommies compete in the Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference along with Augsburg, Bethel, Carleton, Concordia of Moorhead, Gustavus, Hamline, St. John's and St. Olaf.

Dave Lee was absolutely brutal during the Gopher spring game.

Can't imagine that many people would listen to this to make it worth while unless they needed some fill in time for a Saturday afternoon.

I know former St Thomas football players that wouldn't give this a listen.

Sent from my Commodore 64.

I don't blame them.

I know former St Thomas football players that wouldn't give this a listen.

Sent from my Commodore 64.

A Duluth station carries UMD games. Alert Gopherhole time I guess.

Opened this thread trying to figure out why this was in a Gopher forum, and am still wondering...

WCCO will continue its downward spiral into irrelevance.

Opened this thread trying to figure out why this was in a Gopher forum, and am still wondering...

Because Dave Lee used to call Gopher FB games when the team had "CCO as its flagship - and Dave Lee was a frequent source of angst for the Gopher Hole regulars.

Then 'CCO lost the Gophers, and the Good Neighbor decided to replace a B1G FB team (whatever you might think of the Gophers' status in the College FB Universe), with an MIAC football team. Sure, St. Thomas wins a lot - because (IMHO) they have an enormous advantage over the rest of the conference in facilities and fund-raising.

BTW, I have listened to a few minutes of the St. Thomas games on 'CCO (because I went to an MIAC school), and Dave Lee hasn't gotten any better at following the action on the field - or identifying the correct players. And Eric Nelson on 'color' adds nothing to the broadcast. "Great Play" is about as deep as his analysis gets.

BTW, I have listened to a few minutes of the St. Thomas games on 'CCO (because I went to an MIAC school), and Dave Lee hasn't gotten any better at following the action on the field - or identifying the correct players. And Eric Nelson on 'color' adds nothing to the broadcast. "Great Play" is about as deep as his analysis gets.

Radio guys aren't watching on TV. They're a lot farther away. And they are often going back and forth between live reads, looking up and down between the field and the roster sheets (with over 100 names on them), etc. Player identification mistakes happen to probably 99% of football announcers.

Radio guys aren't watching on TV. They're a lot farther away. And they are often going back and forth between live reads, looking up and down between the field and the roster sheets (with over 100 names on them), etc. Player identification mistakes happen to probably 99% of football announcers.

How cute....we have another defender of Dave Lee. I think that makes you #2 in the history of the board.

I don't mean this in a bad way, but have you ever listened to Dave Lee? He didn't make the occasional mistake. If you listened to him and followed the Gophers closely, at all, you would likely have done a much better job of player identification.

Additionally, most of us have listened to radio announcers other than Dave Lee, so we were able to have some basis for comparison.

He was not very good at his job.

That said, I don't understand why people care if WCCO puts on St. Thomas games. If they are a threat to the Gophers, it's our fault.

Pat Ruesse will be thrilled... I can't think of anyone else though.

How cute....we have another defender of Dave Lee. I think that makes you #2 in the history of the board.

LOL. I thought the post you quoted was pretty funny. Running to the defense of the play-by-play callers? Clearly someone has something personally invested in that job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom