BTN: Ranking Big Ten's Week 9 Games (#2. Minnesota at Iowa; Upset Chance: MN at IA)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per BTN:

Best chance for an upset: Iowa needs to be careful when Minnesota comes to Kinnick Stadium in a battle for Floyd of Rosedale. You know new Golden Gophers coach P.J. Fleck would love to knock off the Hawkeyes in his first taste of this iconic series. But know this: Minnesota hasn’t won in Iowa City since 1999 when Kirk Ferentz was in his first season for the Hawkeyes and Glen Mason was coach of the Gophers.

Player on the spot: If Iowa wants to defend its turf and win Floyd of Rosedale, it will need its new signal-caller to excel. And that man figures to be Nathan Stanley, a 6-5 sophomore who teems with potential for an Iowa program replacing C.J. Beathard.

RANKING WEEK 9 GAMES
1. Penn State at Ohio State
2. Minnesota at Iowa
3. Michigan State at Northwestern
4. Indiana at Maryland
5. Nebraska at Purdue
6. Wisconsin at Illinois
7. Rutgers at Michigan

http://btn.com/2017/06/07/best-of-week-9-ohio-state-looks-for-revenge-vs-penn-state/

Go Gophers!!

Even though this game is in iowa, I wouldn't consider a win against them an upset.

Gophers have gone 0-7 in Iowa City since 1999. 5-12 overall since 1999. Gophers scored 7 points on them at home in TCF last year. Count me among those that would consider Minnesota winning in Iowa an upset.

Gophers have gone 0-7 in Iowa City since 1999. 5-12 overall since 1999. Gophers scored 7 points on them at home in TCF last year. Count me among those that would consider Minnesota winning in Iowa an upset.

This year's iowa team might be a three yards and a cloud of dust type of offense. Defense and field position will be relied on to win games. If there's a year to catch them on the road, this is the year. Past results are meaningless IMO.

Unproven QB and they're really thin at WR. Their best one is coming off an injury and didn't participate in Spring practice. Looks like they will be putting true freshmen , or RS freshmen on the flanks. Croft/ Rhoda will have 7 games under their belt. I like our chances.

Unproven QB and they're really thin at WR. Their best one is coming off an injury and didn't participate in Spring practice. Looks like they will be putting true freshmen , or RS freshmen on the flanks. Croft/ Rhoda will have 7 games under their belt. I like our chances.

We're also unproven at QB and I consider us thin at WR...potential is there at WR, but not much established.

I'll be in Iowa

We're also unproven at QB and I consider us thin at WR...potential is there at WR, but not much established.

I'll be in Iowa

they would trade WR with us in a heartbeat.

This year's iowa team might be a three yards and a cloud of dust type of offense. Defense and field position will be relied on to win games. If there's a year to catch them on the road, this is the year. Past results are meaningless IMO.

I agree on everything except the bold. There are many occasions where I wish past results were meaningless. 13 game losing streak to Wisconsin comes to mind. I don't think those streaks are self-fulfilling of themselves, but I do think infamous tradition has its role in continued failure. It's something to overcome.

Both offenses sucked last year. Veteran QBs both had comparable performances (pretty bad). Gophs scoring was well below season game average. TOP completely loopsided in IA favor yet Gophs were leading until about 6 Min left in the game. Drove 70 yrds late and put themselves in position to tie.

I absolutely like Gophs chances there this year.

Both offenses sucked last year. Veteran QBs both had comparable performances (pretty bad). Gophs scoring was well below season game average. TOP completely loopsided in IA favor yet Gophs were leading until about 6 Min left in the game. Drove 70 yrds late and put themselves in position to tie.

I absolutely like Gophs chances there this year.

I agree.

I'm expecting a win in Iowa City. 8-0.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt VandeBerg for ... Still?

Not sure they'd do that...

I meant all their WRs for all ours. I don't think it's close. Healthy vandeberg might be our best WR, our 1-6 might all be better than their #2

So will their QB and new receivers but I love our front seven on defense. Its a cliche but like last year whoever wins in the trenches will win the game.

I meant all their WRs for all ours. I don't think it's close. Healthy vandeberg might be our best WR, our 1-6 might all be better than their #2

I don't think either team has much to brag about at WR.

I have hopes for some of our guys, but that doesn't amount to much.

That's awesome - but if we win it will be an upset. We will be the underdog. Iowa -3.5 is my guess if we prove ourselves to on par with the previous couple years.

IA -3.5 is basically the standard edge for the home team. You're essentially calling them equal with no clear advantage for either team. Thus, a Gopher win shouldn't be considered an upset as far as I'm concerned.

I also like our chance of being favored by game time.

IA -3.5 is basically the standard edge for the home team. You're essentially calling them equal with no clear advantage for either team. Thus, a Gopher win shouldn't be considered an upset as far as I'm concerned.

I also like our chance of being favored by game time.

Well - you do make a decent point about the points given to the home team and I realize we are kind of arguing semantics, but if you're not favored to win a game and win I believe that to be an upset. Let's call it a "very slight upset" and walk away friends. Unless you're correct and we are favored (which I hope you are as that would mean we are having a pretty good start to our season and looking at least 3-4 points better than Iowa on a neutral field).

Top Bottom