BTN: Picking every Big Ten team's 3-on-3 squad (Minnesota: Mason, Coffey, Lynch)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per BTN:

Praise be to the basketball gods.

The International Olympic Committee announced Friday that 3-on-3 basketball will officially be added to the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo, which immediately made everyone’s hoops imaginations run wild pondering the possible trios that could form a gold medal-winning group. The qualification system is yet to be announced, but just for fun, I brainstormed who each Big Ten basketball team would send if the Tokyo Games began today.

Minnesota: Nate Mason, Amir Coffey, Reggie Lynch

http://btn.com/2017/06/09/picking-every-big-ten-teams-3-on-3-squad/

Go Gophers!!

I'm not sure how you have a 3 on 3 team and not include Dupree, by far our best Isolation player and IMO a more versatile scorer and defender than Nate.

Nate's just smarter a better passer and doesn't turn it over.

edit: I cannot believe I just replied to this...

I'm not sure how you have a 3 on 3 team and not include Dupree, by far our best Isolation player and IMO a more versatile scorer and defender than Nate.

Hard to be incredulous about including a first-team All-Big Ten player over a 6th man. Even more so about an article on a made-up team designed to attract clicks.

I'm speechless...

I think I'd go with Mychal Thompson, Trent Tucker and Bobby Jackson.

Name of the game in 3v3 is scoring. Swap out Lynch for Dupree and go all in

It's baffling to even consider Dupree. His only real offensive strength is getting to the basket in transition. There is no transition in a half court game, at least not in the typical sense. Speed matters a lot less than 5v5. Rebounding and rim protection matter a lot more. I'd take Murphy, and maybe even Curry before Dupree.

It's baffling to even consider Dupree. His only real offensive strength is getting to the basket in transition. There is no transition in a half court game, at least not in the typical sense. Speed matters a lot less than 5v5. Rebounding and rim protection matter a lot more. I'd take Murphy, and maybe even Curry before Dupree.

Dumb subject to be debating aside.

In my humble opinion, Dupree is our best one on one/iso player. He creates his own shot better than anyone other than maybe Amir cause of his size. In a 3 on 3 setting I'm not sure anyone would be better.

To use your term, it's baffling to say his only strength is in transition.

It's baffling to even consider Dupree. His only real offensive strength is getting to the basket in transition.

45% FG shooting isn't good?

42% 3FG isn't good?

74% FT shooting isn't good?

2.7 APG isn't good?

Those are all pretty solid numbers for a guy who isn't your primary ballhandler or top 3 scorer.

Agree that at times Dupree has to play more under control.

Dupree and Amir were our only offensive options against Middle Tennessee State after Mason was hurt.

3 on 3 is different, you can do a lot more isolation and you need to be able to switch on defense. You want an athletic team with good handles and jump shooters.

I'd roll with Dupree, Coffee and Devontae if Pitino is right about Fitz. That's a lot of length and speed.

I think we can all agree that if anyone gets really riled up over this subject that they need to take a break from the internets for awhile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it's important to still have somewhat of an interior presence, even in 3-on-3. But I would personally choose Murphy or Curry over Lynch, because they both have more offensive/defensive versatility

45% FG shooting isn't good?

42% 3FG isn't good?

74% FT shooting isn't good?

2.7 APG isn't good?

Those are all pretty solid numbers for a guy who isn't your primary ballhandler or top 3 scorer.

Agree that at times Dupree has to play more under control.

Those first two are largely propped up by his stats against bad teams.

Overall FG% vs KenPom Top 40 -- 35.1%
Overall FG% vs KenPom 100+ -- 56.0%

3Pt FG% vs KenPom Top 40 -- 34.8%
3Pt FG% vs KenPom 100+ -- 50.0%

The FT% isn't bad, but it's not particularly good either. Probably close to average for a guard.

Same with 2.7APG. He averaged about 4 assists per 40 min played which is average to below average for a guard.

I'll admit to being a Dupree hater, and it largely has to do with the last thing you said.

Dumb subject to be debating aside.

In my humble opinion, Dupree is our best one on one/iso player. He creates his own shot better than anyone other than maybe Amir cause of his size. In a 3 on 3 setting I'm not sure anyone would be better.

To use your term, it's baffling to say his only strength is in transition.

Coffey can get to the rim better and is a better slasher but Dupree is definitely better at creating space for his shot and making it one on one than Amir is. Amir every once in a while can get some separation for a J but if he does than he usually isn't able to make the shot on a consistent basis, not like Dupree. Unlike Dupree, most of the jumpers that Amir makes are when he's pretty open.

I would say that although Dupree is the best on the team at gaining separation for jumpshots, Mason is better at hitting contested shots.

Top Bottom