USA Today: Hawaii football offered a scholarship to a fifth-grade QB Titan Lacaden

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per USA Today:

College football programs extending scholarship offers to young prospects is nothing new (just ask Lane Kiffin). Still, the lengths which Hawaii appears to have taken that trend to the ultimate extreme by handing a scholarship offer to an elementary school.

As released on Twitter by the player himself (or perhaps a parent tweeting as the player), Hawaiian fifth-grade quarterback Titan Lacaden has a scholarship offer from his home state university and Hawaii head coach Nick Rolovich. The scholarship offer was confirmed by former Nevada football player Jake Lacaden, who is Titan’s older brother.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

http://usatodayhss.com/2017/titan-lacaden-fifth-grade-hawaii-football

Go Gophers!!

Stupid PR stunt.

When will we see the first offer made to a fetus?

Here is his 6 minute Hudl highlight tape:

<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/video/3/8530988/593e2ca9da5ace21dca974ad' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

Go Gophers!!

This stupidity started when USC offered the 8th grade QB from New Jersey or wherever. We saw how well that worked out.
I watched a lot of youth FB as my kids were growing up. Many of those dominant kids didn't even continue playing FB in HS, let alone college.
I hope the kid has a ton of fun playing sports, grows to a good size, and gets a chance to play CFB, but there are so many things that change from Jr High through HS. Just do the best you can and have fun.
I'm sure Hawaii FB thinks it's a fun PR move. But this 5th grader now has the burden of being the youngest ever to get a scholarship offer. If he falls short in a game or season, he'll be the object of criticism for some. Thanks a lot!

I think a good solution to this nonsense would be to allow kids to call the bluff of the universities. This 5th grader should be able to guarantee his college is paid for by accepting this offer and signing immediately - even if he never grows another inch. If a school had to potentially honor every offer that is thrown out, they would wait much longer and IMO the system would correct on its own.

Under the current rules, I would still instruct this kid to accept the offer...you can always back out for a better offer later and you can watch the school squirm and deal with the PR hit if you lose an arm or something.

This stupidity started when USC offered the 8th grade QB from New Jersey or wherever. We saw how well that worked out.
I watched a lot of youth FB as my kids were growing up. Many of those dominant kids didn't even continue playing FB in HS, let alone college.
I hope the kid has a ton of fun playing sports, grows to a good size, and gets a chance to play CFB, but there are so many things that change from Jr High through HS. Just do the best you can and have fun.
I'm sure Hawaii FB thinks it's a fun PR move. But this 5th grader now has the burden of being the youngest ever to get a scholarship offer. If he falls short in a game or season, he'll be the object of criticism for some. Thanks a lot!

Could end up being the Hawaii version of Mitch Liedner and the first round grade given by Todd McShay.

and 6 years from now when this kid de-commits from Hawaii and flips to the Gophers, he will immediately become the greatest prospect of all time.

and 6 years from now when this kid de-commits from Hawaii and flips to the Gophers, he will immediately become the greatest prospect of all time.

Do you have inside info on his plans or just speculating?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well - lucky for us he's young enough to not really remember the Brewster years. Plus didn't Fleck used to teach 5th graders?

Top Bottom