Scott Bell Named Assistant Coach

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-hockey/spec-rel/061217aaa.html

Gopher Hockey alum Scott Bell has returned to the University of Minnesota as an assistant coach for the Maroon & Gold, Gophers head coach Don Lucia announced on Monday.

A former Gophers captain, Bell has spent the last five seasons as an amateur scout for the Pittsburgh Penguins, helping the organization claim back-to-back Stanley Cup championships in 2016 and 2017.

“I am pleased to announce Scott Bell as our next assistant coach. Every person I spoke with about Scott said the same thing – that he would be a terrific hire for Gopher Hockey,” Lucia said. “As a former two-time Gopher captain, Scott checked all the boxes for what I was looking for. He has tremendous support from our alumni, has strong NHL connections, he’s a relentless recruiter, a successful coach, and he is well respected in the hockey community of Minnesota.”

A native of Inver Grove Heights, Minn., Bell brings more than more than two decades of coaching and front office experience back to campus, working at nearly every level of the game along the way. Prior to joining the Penguins staff, he served as the head coach at Hamline, where he developed four First Team All-Americans and three MIAC Players of the Year including Chris Berenguer. With Bell’s guidance, Berenguer earned three First Team All-America nods and two MIAC Player of the Year honors while the defenseman capped his career with the Sid Watson Award as the top player in NCAA Division III hockey in 2011. In six years at Hamline, Bell led the Pipers to four conference championship games and two MIAC titles (2008, 2011). He was named conference coach of the year and nominated for national coach of the year in 2007-08 after leading Hamline to its first MIAC title in 60 years.

For some reason, stuck in my old Mariuchi hockey memory, I recall Bell, after scoring a key goal in a crazy game against St. Cloud, riding his stick down the ice waving his hand rodeo style much to the delight of the crowd and to the displeasure of Woog.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Bell picked up commitments from a couple of brothers born in 2003 and 2004 today....

Top Bottom