Shama: Fleck Recruiting Earns Rival’s Praise

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shama:

When Darrell Hazell was the wide receivers coach at Ohio State more than 10 years ago, P.J. Fleck worked for him as a graduate assistant. They still have a relationship while the two have moved through career coaching stops including Fleck’s hiring this winter as the Gophers new head football coach.

“So I know P.J. very well,” Hazell told Sports Headliners during an interview. “We’ve talked quite a few times. I think he’ll do a great job. He’ll work hard and he’s a great recruiter. He’ll work hard at it.”

Fleck’s recruiting is a major offseason story this winter and spring. At times the Gophers’ 2018 recruiting class flirted around the top 10 composite national rankings by 247Sports. In the latest 247 composite rankings the Gophers are still an impressive No. 20.

Hazell was head coach at Purdue until last fall when he was dismissed during his fourth season. The Boilermakers and Minnesota are two of the teams in the Big Ten’s West Division, so Hazell knows what it takes to compete in the league.

Can Fleck’s recruiting result in enough quality players for the Gophers to soon contend for division titles? Hazell said because he doesn’t know much about the Minnesota program, he can’t predict, but he issued words of caution.

“There’s a lot of people to beat in the Big Ten in recruiting,” Hazell said. “That’s the hard part. But he’ll go after it hard.”

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

I hope PJ does well.

But Brewster in his first hears got lots of praise from other coaches too and etc.... it's not like Hazell is gonna go "**** that guy he's terrible".

Hold it. Hazell was head coach at Purdue until last fall, but he says "he doesn't know much about the Minnesota program."

Duh, I don't know anything about the other teams in our conference.........Maybe that's why he had so much success at Purdue.

Imagine if a Gopher coach made that type of comment about another B1G team. This board would look like the movie "Scanners." People's heads would be exploding.

I hope PJ does well.

But Brewster in his first hears got lots of praise from other coaches too and etc.... it's not like Hazell is gonna go "**** that guy he's terrible".

Brewster had never been a head coach before where as Fleck has been. Brewster has yet to be offered another "major" head coaching job that I'm aware of due to the large number of mistakes he made. He probably burned bridges with many people while he was here.

I just want to know if Jerry Kill knows who Darrell Hazell is yet?

Brewster had never been a head coach before where as Fleck has been. Brewster has yet to be offered another "major" head coaching job that I'm aware of due to the large number of mistakes he made. He probably burned bridges with many people while he was here.

There are differences.

I'm just saying if praise is tossed Brewster's way, that kinda puts any praise for PJ from other coaches in a different light.

Top Bottom