Eric Kaler on Sports Huddle.

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
U of M President Eric Kaler was a guest on the Sports Huddle on 6-11-17

Sid: fundraising for big project?
K: well underway. about 90-mill toward Athletes village. 100-million overall. listen for a couple of announcements in coming weeks. (SON: damn, we've never heard that before)

Sid: financial situation in athletic dep't. money from TV deals
K: when you net out all transfers back and forth, we (U administration) provide about 3-million to athletics dept. long history with that number. kept that in budget. one of Coyle's jobs in light of new TV revenue is to move to financial independence - in time want to be able for athletics to return overall money to university. not many schools do that.

Dave: Scandal of the month club. how do you react?
K: frustrating. large organization. not sure our rate of bad behavior is higher than any other department. (athletics face) heightened scrutiny. this behavior not allowed. we try to train employees that there are consequences when you break the rules.

Dave: results of legislative session?
K: mixed on operating budget. did not receive enough money to freeze undergrad resident tuition. (tuition) will need increase this year. approved by Board of Regents. they will debate budget proposal.
on capital side, better outcome. strong capital investment. funding for medical education building, chemistry bldg at Duluth. very pleased. 2nd-largest capital investment in history.

Sid: B1g pres talk athletics. Notre Dame in hockey? expansion?
K: we monitor the landscape. we think about schools that would be compatible in athletics and academics. many presidents avid sports fans. conversation. nothing imminent.

Dave: Athletic Dept gets none of parking revenue?
K: parking is separate unit. ramps paid for out of parking revenue. revenue supports parking. Every university provides subsidy to athletics. for Us, FB, Mens BB and Men's hockey generate profit.

Sid: what about reaction to Fleck?
K: lot to be proud of in Gopher Athletics. Athletes village on budget, on time. Pitino's turnaround of men's BB. our ability to attract one of hottest young FB coaching prospects in country. don't know of many schools that are in more positive situation than us right now.

Dave: jail time for Penn State officials? President's compensation?
K: whole situation at Penn State a tragedy on many levels. justice runs its course. we'll see how appeals process goes.

Sid: basketball situation?
K: Pitino engineered remarkable turnabout. took criticism, including from me, and turned it into positive outcome. helped young players mature off court, more success on court. good recruiting year. couldn't be happier. proud of job he's done.

Dave: naming rights for facilities?
K: got a space for Mona hall. There are naming opportunities under consideration. in sports area it's easier because of publicity with those events. we do consider and are thinking about those options.

Thanks SON

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thx son!!!! off to a great start in post-DL65 era.

Thank you SON. Please keep up the good work.

Kaler is a slimebag.

Also, no one will refer to Williams Arena and as anything other than The Barn or Williams Arena. Same with Mariucci. I don't know why a corporation would even consider putting their name on one of those buildings.

I like your style Son! DL trained you well to come up with your own identity. Super thanks for this report. Would have missed it completely.

Thanks SON! Something tells me that this Sunday morning interview is not one of Fleck's favorite parts of the week. Does anyone know if he has a contract with some entity in regards to this radio show?

Also, no one will refer to Williams Arena and as anything other than The Barn or Williams Arena. Same with Mariucci. I don't know why a corporation would even consider putting their name on one of those buildings.

Visibility. You may not refer to it as that, but other people will.

Take Mile High Stadium in Denver, for example. It's actually Sports Authority Field at Mile High. Or when the Dome's field was named Mall of America Field.

I like your style Son! DL trained you well to come up with your own identity. Super thanks for this report. Would have missed it completely.

And it must just drive Sid nuts! ...hehehe...

Thanks SON! Something tells me that this Sunday morning interview is not one of Fleck's favorite parts of the week. Does anyone know if he has a contract with some entity in regards to this radio show?

To the best of my knowledge, the Gopher FB Coach's official radio show is the "Gopher Football Weekly" program they do at Joe Senser's place. I think it ran at Noon on Tuesdays last season. Anyway, that is the show that is considered part of the contract for radio stations on the Gopher Radio Network.

So any Gopher FB coach appearing on the Sports Huddle is outside of the contract. Now, when 'CCO was the Flagship station for Gopher FB, the Sports Huddle segment was the official coaches' show. Just like the Twins manager did his weekly show on "CCO when the Good Neighbor was the Twins' flagship. But, since KFAN became the Flagship for Gopher FB, anything on 'CCO is an extra program. All the coach gets out of it is a steak at Murray's. Kill and Claeys kept up the Sports Huddle segment to help promote the program - and I think out of deference to Sid as the dean of Twin Cities sports personalities.

But no, Fleck is under no legal or contractual obligation to appear on the Sports Huddle. So he can blow it off any time he wants to - or he can show up and do the segment.

Visibility. You may not refer to it as that, but other people will.

Take Mile High Stadium in Denver, for example. It's actually Sports Authority Field at Mile High. Or when the Dome's field was named Mall of America Field.

yeah...how'd that work out for them?

Re: the Kaler interview. I thought the most interesting thing was Kaler's admission that - if the Athletic Department starts turning a bigger profit due to TV money, they will be expected to return some of that profit back to the U Administrative fund. That would be virtually unprecedented for a college athletic dep't to give money back to the school.

And, of course, there are some big announcements coming soon on the fund-raising. This has been a recording. There are some big announcements coming soon on the fund-raising. This has been a recording.

Re: the Kaler interview. I thought the most interesting thing was Kaler's admission that - if the Athletic Department starts turning a bigger profit due to TV money, they will be expected to return some of that profit back to the U Administrative fund. That would be virtually unprecedented for a college athletic dep't to give money back to the school.

And, of course, there are some big announcements coming soon on the fund-raising. This has been a recording. There are some big announcements coming soon on the fund-raising. This has been a recording.

Yep. Change of culture is needed still. No matter what Fleck does, what Pitino does, what any coach does, with morally challenged, weak kneed "leadership" like this at the U, nothing has changed and we will continue to struggle in athletics, as well as academics.

To the best of my knowledge, the Gopher FB Coach's official radio show is the "Gopher Football Weekly" program they do at Joe Senser's place. I think it ran at Noon on Tuesdays last season. Anyway, that is the show that is considered part of the contract for radio stations on the Gopher Radio Network.

So any Gopher FB coach appearing on the Sports Huddle is outside of the contract. Now, when 'CCO was the Flagship station for Gopher FB, the Sports Huddle segment was the official coaches' show. Just like the Twins manager did his weekly show on "CCO when the Good Neighbor was the Twins' flagship. But, since KFAN became the Flagship for Gopher FB, anything on 'CCO is an extra program. All the coach gets out of it is a steak at Murray's. Kill and Claeys kept up the Sports Huddle segment to help promote the program - and I think out of deference to Sid as the dean of Twin Cities sports personalities.

But no, Fleck is under no legal or contractual obligation to appear on the Sports Huddle. So he can blow it off any time he wants to - or he can show up and do the segment.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Thanks for clarifying SON. So you are saying that Fleck gets slightly more for being on the radio show than you get for writing up these informative summaries of of that show...

While it might be "unprecedented," I'm curious if others think like I do on this matter. Athletics has been subsidized (likely rightfully so) for years at universities across the country. Why, in a time when tuition increases often out-pace inflation, would it be wrong to expect some repayment to the university as whole by the athletic department? The entire state and university are paying for the "Bank." Some cross subsidy the other way (with in reason) seems fair.

While it might be "unprecedented," I'm curious if others think like I do on this matter. Athletics has been subsidized (likely rightfully so) for years at universities across the country. Why, in a time when tuition increases often out-pace inflation, would it be wrong to expect some repayment to the university as whole by the athletic department? The entire state and university are paying for the "Bank." Some cross subsidy the other way (with in reason) seems fair.

Unless you want to compete at the top levels of college athletics. Right or wrong, the decision to shift monies away from athletics will not make the Gophers more competitive. Maybe finding different funding sources or finding new ways to do both could work, but taking money from revenue sports hurts the athletics department and diminishes opportunity to engage alumni to fund the university in general through private donations - both for the athletics dept and for the academic side of things.

Unless you want to compete at the top levels of college athletics. Right or wrong, the decision to shift monies away from athletics will not make the Gophers more competitive. Maybe finding different funding sources or finding new ways to do both could work, but taking money from revenue sports hurts the athletics department and diminishes opportunity to engage alumni to fund the university in general through private donations - both for the athletics dept and for the academic side of things.

I think it was more of a "If athletics runs a surplus, and doesn't have anything to spend it on they should give some of that money to the University" not "Once they break even they have to give us the extra money they make".

I think it was more of a "If athletics runs a surplus, and doesn't have anything to spend it on they should give some of that money to the University" not "Once they break even they have to give us the extra money they make".

The athletics department is not fully funded as it stands. Any surplus would serve only to get us closer to above average in the arms race that is college sports. I'm not saying it is right or it is wrong to do this, all I'm saying is that when the "leadership" (or should it be leadership*) thinks in terms of not reinvesting every single dollar of profit from athletics into the athletics program, we will not rise in the ranks of college sports in any significant way which is what many believe we are on track to do. The past 56 years have been more about the lack of support from the administration than anything else. We've had good and bad coaches, but have not funded the programs to be successful.

While the Kaler and Coyle Klown show made noise about getting serious about sports, it's comments like this that indicate nothing has changed at the University of Minnesota regarding the culture around Gopher Athletics. Now that the idiots in charge feel their asses fare sufficiently safe rom their complete and total failure to lead, it's back to the status quo. Wonder how long it will be until our budget is 14 out of 14 in the big ten in terms of football, recruiting, etc. again.

The athletics department is not fully funded as it stands. Any surplus would serve only to get us closer to above average in the arms race that is college sports. I'm not saying it is right or it is wrong to do this, all I'm saying is that when the "leadership" (or should it be leadership*) thinks in terms of not reinvesting every single dollar of profit from athletics into the athletics program, we will not rise in the ranks of college sports in any significant way which is what many believe we are on track to do. The past 56 years have been more about the lack of support from the administration than anything else. We've had good and bad coaches, but have not funded the programs to be successful.

While the Kaler and Coyle Klown show made noise about getting serious about sports, it's comments like this that indicate nothing has changed at the University of Minnesota regarding the culture around Gopher Athletics. Now that the idiots in charge feel their asses fare sufficiently safe rom their complete and total failure to lead, it's back to the status quo. Wonder how long it will be until our budget is 14 out of 14 in the big ten in terms of football, recruiting, etc. again.

Really impressed when some anonymous jerk on a fan site rips on people who have, you know, accomplished a little more in their lives than the know-it-all--like getting a doctorate, rising to positions of power and prestige, actually knowing what they're talking about, etc. Talk about a clown. Pot meet kettle.

and you know exactly what about me? Take some of your own advice. At least i have a basis of public action from which to draw my conclusions. Do you in your conclusions about me? Attack people for name calling by calling them names. Nice. I have no problem you disagree with my conclusions. I do not know it all, and have never claimed to. I am and continue to be embarrassed by Mr. Kaler and Mr. Coyle for their lack of leadership - openly displayed, the lack of a moral compass, openly displayed and their lack of integrity, openly displayed. Disagree all you want, but those conclusions I've come to from their public behavior are not outliers.

If it makes you feel any better, you'll know that both Mr. Kaler and Mr. Coyle are aware of my real name and how I feel about them. As do the University Alumni Association, and the various fundraising arms of the University I have previously given to. Am I a huge donor? No, but my feelings are not only anonymously shared on a website.

Have a great day!

and you know exactly what about me? Take some of your own advice. At least i have a basis of public action from which to draw my conclusions. Do you in your conclusions about me? Attack people for name calling by calling them names. Nice. I have no problem you disagree with my conclusions. I do not know it all, and have never claimed to. I am and continue to be embarrassed by Mr. Kaler and Mr. Coyle for their lack of leadership - openly displayed, the lack of a moral compass, openly displayed and their lack of integrity, openly displayed. Disagree all you want, but those conclusions I've come to from their public behavior are not outliers.

If it makes you feel any better, you'll know that both Mr. Kaler and Mr. Coyle are aware of my real name and how I feel about them. As do the University Alumni Association, and the various fundraising arms of the University I have previously given to. Am I a huge donor? No, but my feelings are not only anonymously shared on a website.

Have a great day!

Kaler and Coyle may know your name but it is highly unlikely their feelings are hurt because you don't like them. It is far more likely they laugh their asses off whenever they get a together for a beer and there is a drunken loudmouth in the bar who reminds them of you. They have been dealing with people who don't like them during their entire professional lives. They have not only overcome their harshest critics, they have prospered while doing it. For every disgruntled Gopher fan who is still bitching about them there are many more fans who are very happy that Kaler hired Coyle, and Coyle hired Fleck. Their haters are not only outliers, they are irrelevant outliers.

Kaler and Coyle may know your name but it is highly unlikely their feelings are hurt because you don't like them. It is far more likely they laugh their asses off whenever they get a together for a beer and there is a drunken loudmouth in the bar who reminds them of you. They have been dealing with people who don't like them during their entire professional lives. They have not only overcome their harshest critics, they have prospered while doing it. For every disgruntled Gopher fan who is still bitching about them there are many more fans who are very happy that Kaler hired Coyle, and Coyle hired Fleck. Their haters are not only outliers, they are irrelevant outliers.

1. Thanks, Mrs. Coyle, for your thoughts
2. I have no doubt they could not care less about how I feel about them. That fact does not make me wrong or them right in and of itself.
3. I am, not even close to the only one with this opinion.
4. The fact of the matter remains they could be the next in line for sainthood, however talk of shifting money away from the athletics department indicates these saintly men have not changed the culture towards athletics at the U one iota.

You can call me names and attempt to belittle me while you know absolutely nothing about me as much as you wish. It doesn't hurt my feelings one bit and is irrelevant to the point being made here. If you had any credible response to refute what I'm saying you would not have resorted in ad hominem personal attacks towards me.

If staying competitive and relevant in college football, basketball and hockey is important to you, you should be concerned at language like this. If you don't care about those things, then you have nothing to fear. Like I said, it's not good or bad in and of itself. Their choice to do whatever they like.

It only matters if you are expecting that something changed and the Admin at the U (and this goes back far longer than Kaler and Coyle) is making the commitment necessary to be competitive and relevant in sports.

Taking "surplus" budget back from the athletic department isn't happening at any school in the top 10 of college football last year. And that's not an opinion.

Taking "surplus" budget back from the athletic department isn't happening at any school in the top 10 of college football last year. And that's not an opinion.

Hmm...

https://www.google.com/amp/www.al.com/articles/15229311/alabama_athletics_profit_2014.amp

"The [Alabama] athletics department transferred $9.1 million back to the university last year after contributing $5.9 million a year earlier."

Shockingly, it appears that you have no idea what you're talking about.

Hmm...

https://www.google.com/amp/www.al.com/articles/15229311/alabama_athletics_profit_2014.amp

"The [Alabama] athletics department transferred $9.1 million back to the university last year after contributing $5.9 million a year earlier."

Shockingly, it appears that you have no idea what you're talking about.

I guess I was wrong. Thanks for setting me straight.

A link from 2015. Of the top 10 schools in revenue (different from what I said) 3 schools did give money back. Alabama, Ohio State and Florida. 8 of the top 25 teams did. This is different than when I last looked at it. I'm glad we are now fully funded as a department and have the money to give back to the school.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/#

Top Bottom