Budding friendship: Gophers coaches P.J. Fleck and Richard Pitino - Twincities.com

Iceland12

Reaction score
During a jaunt Tuesday to Itasca State Park, Fleck and Pitino walked across rocks at the headwaters of the Mississippi River. Fleck eagerly grabbed an oar to match his “Row the Boat” mantra, and Pitino was coaxed into joining his new friend.

“It’s kind of like ‘Step Brothers,’ ” Fleck said of the buddy comedy movie starring Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly.

he pair of young coaches have gravitated to one another since Fleck, 36, was hired to coach the Gophers football program in January, and Pitino, 34, finished coaching his fourth season with the men’s basketball team in March.

“That (friendship’s) based on a lot of humor and sarcasm,” Fleck said. “I appreciate that, though.”..

During the road trip’s final stop, Gophers athletics director Mark Coyle drummed up support with this stat: 2016-17 was the first time in 52 years that the football program and men’s basketball team each had winning records in Big Ten Conference play.

“Hopefully, we can build this young dynasty here,” said Fleck, who takes over a team coming off a 9-4 season, with a 5-4 Big Ten mark. “We are both really young and have a chance to do something for a ton of years, build something really special with the major sports.”..

Once Fleck’s football season concludes this winter, he has plans to travel with the men’s basketball team for two or three days on a road trip.

“He is really, really good at what he does, and you can tell that he is always willing to change,” Fleck said. “He wants to get better and adapt and not rest on his laurels.”

First, Pitino wants to watch the football program when it ramps up preseason camp in August. For one, he wants to have a closer look at Fleck’s marketing approach.

“He doesn’t apologize for bringing attention to himself or his program,” Pitino said. “I love how innovative he is with recruiting. He’s always looking for new ideas.”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/06/0...gophers-coaches-p-j-fleck-and-richard-pitino/

I just have this feeling that we are finally on the way to both teams having a great deal of success

What do you mean?
[emoji226]
01927af76e9ad1568f53e59dfb9a66dc.jpg

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0X2ee2A2IGU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
_

We just need a young hockey coach to make it a trifecta.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We just need a young hockey coach to make it a trifecta.

Lucia is aight... not young but who's out there we can get better? Frost is the shizz and he's younger (looks younger anyway) maybe he'll move over to coach the guys? [emoji39] and as for the topic of the thread, I sure hope the big 2 live up to the success the other 20 odd programs of the U athletics seem to achieve consistently. Specifically w volleyball, w hockey, softball, gymnastics on both ends, baseball team is good right now, track n field won a championship or something, swimming n diving even represents on the medal podium, wrestling has been ranked top 25 pretty consistently even with its problems, etc... don't know if we have an ultimate frisbee team but if we did it sure sounds like we'd be winning championships at it! So come on Fleck n Pitino, you have the tools, no more excuses, Minnesota was once great at the big 2 (albeit not at the same time before I don't think) and it can be again! Ski U Mah!

Lucia is aight... not young but who's out there we can get better? Frost is the shizz and he's younger (looks younger anyway) maybe he'll move over to coach the guys? [emoji39] and as for the topic of the thread, I sure hope the big 2 live up to the success the other 20 odd programs of the U athletics seem to achieve consistently. Specifically w volleyball, w hockey, softball, gymnastics on both ends, baseball team is good right now, track n field won a championship or something, swimming n diving even represents on the medal podium, wrestling has been ranked top 25 pretty consistently even with its problems, etc... don't know if we have an ultimate frisbee team but if we did it sure sounds like we'd be winning championships at it! So come on Fleck n Pitino, you have the tools, no more excuses, Minnesota was once great at the big 2 (albeit not at the same time before I don't think) and it can be again! Ski U Mah!

Nice post, thanks. Excited to see these two continue to grow in success. If they can be consistently top 20-25 teams, which I think they can with these two coaches, look out.

Many, many successful athletic teams year in and out beyond these two. People quickly forget men's hockey was in Nat'l Championship game 3 years ago. there's also success at the club team level. Ultimate team won college championship last year.

[emoji226]
01927af76e9ad1568f53e59dfb9a66dc.jpg

We should be focusing on getting rid of these aliens who are exploding in population and smothering our native game fish in our rivers. What where they thinking importing these Asian Carp species? This is biological control gone amok!
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/asian-carp-woes/

Gosh - We hope PJF & RPjr can turn the two major revenue sports around in Gopher Country. I am in favor of the youth movement if they can win championships and regularly put butts in seats.

Top Bottom