Meet Coach Marty McGillan

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/060717aaa.html

New Minnesota assistant coach Marty McGillan sat down with GopherSports.com during the break between spring semester and summer classes. The veteran men’s assistant shared his sense of humor, and is looking forward to getting to know his new team and coaching in the Big Ten with Marlene Stollings.

GopherSports: What drew you to Minnesota?

Marty McGillan: First and foremost is Marlene, knowing her and the reputation she has as a coach, the vision she has for what she wants to accomplish here, and the chance to be at an elite program and conference. It was impossible to say no to.

GS: Did you have a lot of interaction with Coach Stollings in your year at Winthrop together?

MM: I always seek out other coaches to get their take on things. Everybody has a different perspective on how they coach. I watched her practices when I could and I always encouraged friends of mine that were in coaching and wanted to come see somebody, she was somebody they made sure they put on their list of stops to make. I would say we’d talk a couple times a week.

GS: What do you hope to bring to your role as defensive coordinator?

MM: I’ve texted all the players, but Jassy (Jasmine Brunson) is the only one I’ve met. She told me one of her favorite players is Gary Payton. Gary Payton is so old I had to remember who he was. But he was a great defensive player. That’s my DNA. I think you typically coach the way you play. Coach Stollings could shoot a lot better than I ever could, so obviously she’s an offensive guru. …I’m watching film, watching all the games from last year. You’re excited about the players and the potential and the things you think you’re able to do. You look at the league and how explosive some teams are offensively in the Big Ten, and I’m excited to see how the players are going to respond

Top Bottom