Report: Ohio State hires Chris Holtmann

DanielHouse

Reaction score
Ohio State has hired Bulter head coach Chris Holtmann to replace head basketball coach Thad Matta, per David Woods of the Indy Star. The deal is for eight years and will pay Holtmann $3.1 million per season, according to the report.

Holtmann's career head coaching record is 114-85, along with a 4-3 mark in the NCAA tournament. He'll be presented with a challenge as he takes over an Ohio State program that currently has just nine players on scholarship.

No matter what, expectations will be high as Holtmann replaces 13-year head coach Thad Matta.

Solid, if unspectacular hire. Seems like an exorbitant amount to pay though, for a guy with his resume, if the "real" money is as reported.

If Pitino finishes in the top 2-3 in the B1G this year he'll be the most underpaid coach in America, which means Gopherhole will start worrying around December (if not earlier).

Solid, if unspectacular hire. Seems like an exorbitant amount to pay though, for a guy with his resume, if the "real" money is as reported.

If Pitino finishes in the top 2-3 in the B1G this year he'll be the most underpaid coach in America, which means Gopherhole will start worrying around December (if not earlier).

The money doesn't surprise me, as costs of salaries are only increasing with the financial arms race of college sports. I am surprised they had to agree to 8 years to get him. 6 was reasonable, to me 7 seemed like the top end. But clearly the AD believes in this coach, and that he gets the job done, with the progression his teams have shown. The overall record is not great mostly because he took over a major rebuild at Gardner-Webb.

Ohio State has hired Bulter head coach Chris Holtmann to replace head basketball coach Thad Matta, per David Woods of the Indy Star. The deal is for eight years and will pay Holtmann $3.1 million per season, according to the report.

Holtmann's career head coaching record is 114-85, along with a 4-3 mark in the NCAA tournament. He'll be presented with a challenge as he takes over an Ohio State program that currently has just nine players on scholarship.

No matter what, expectations will be high as Holtmann replaces 13-year head coach Thad Matta.

If Pitino makes a run at the Big Ten Title (top 3 finish) and a Sweet 16 run in NCAA, this is the type of money I expect we will have to pay to keep him...not the 1 year extension like this year but a real deal 7-8 years $3 mil per...and frankly, worth every penny if he keeps winning.

Eight years????

That's what I was thinking.... He's not even been a NCAA head coach for 8 years yet.

Gotta be like some no penalty to fire him after 4 or something included. At a major university that's got to be a record for 1st contract?

That's what I was thinking.... He's not even been a NCAA head coach for 8 years yet.

Gotta be like some no penalty to fire him after 4 or something included. At a major university that's got to be a record for 1st contract?
I heard he is working on a contact extension via Jerry kills agent

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

If Pitino makes a run at the Big Ten Title (top 3 finish) and a Sweet 16 run in NCAA, this is the type of money I expect we will have to pay to keep him...not the 1 year extension like this year but a real deal 7-8 years $3 mil per...and frankly, worth every penny if he keeps winning.

Agree

Zero chance at 3 million a year for 7 years at one sweet 16 and 1 top 3 finish in the conference. Ohio State is a huge job and Holtman did a incredible job at Butler. Win the conference a couple times at the U to get the top 25 money. Pitino has incentives for winning he agreed to.

Zero chance at 3 million a year for 7 years at one sweet 16 and 1 top 3 finish in the conference. Ohio State is a huge job and Holtman did a incredible job at Butler. Win the conference a couple times at the U to get the top 25 money. Pitino has incentives for winning he agreed to.

BS Junior

100% Agee!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey guys, long time lurker first time poster! My question is, with the 3 new hires in the big ten this year, which one was the most significant? I'd go with Underwood, with the reasoning that he has the potential to lift Illinois higher than Groce ever could. If I had to rank every coach in the conference based on their resume/potential/where they're at
I'd go...
1Izzo
2.Beilein
3.Miller
4.Turgeon
5.Painter
6. Underwood
7. Holtmann
8. Pitino
9. Gard
10. Collins
11. McCaffery
12.Chambers
13. Piekel
14. Miles

Pitino will only climb the list if he can keep doing what he's doing.

Top Bottom