Q&A: Big AAU Season Has Jarvis Thomas' Stock on Rise, Planning Upcoming Visit to U

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: Big AAU Season Has Jarvis Thomas' Stock on Rise, Planning Upcoming Visit to U

GopherHole Q&A: Big AAU Season Has Jarvis Thomas' Stock on the Rise, Planning Upcoming Visit to U
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/801814?referrer_id=

Jarvis Thomas, a 6-foot-8, 220-pound rising senior forward from Orono (MN) High, is one of the top wings in the Midwest in the Class of 2018 and is considered the number six prospect in the class. His strong play this spring has earned him offers from power conferences such as the ACC, SEC and Big East. Thomas is expected to make an unofficial visit to Minnesota soon.

Thomas averaged 15.9 points per game as he helped Orono to a 23-6 record, losing to six-time defending Class AAA state champion DeLaSalle 71-68 in the Class AAA, Section 6 finals. He scored in double figures in 24 of 29 games with five games of more than 20 points, including a season-high 27 points versus Waconia and New Prague.

Gopher Hole caught up with Thomas recently to learn the latest on his junior season and college recruitment.

Gopher Hole: You are playing with Howard Pulley this year. You guys are off to a great start AAU-wise. How pleased are you with how well you guys are playing?

Jarvis Thomas: I am more than pleased. I kind of can't really believe where we are at right now, but everything seems to be rolling pretty well for us.

Gopher Hole: Was their nervousness about the chemistry because they have guys that have played together and you hadn't really played with them. Was there any nervousness about that?

Jarvis Thomas: No, not really. We put good players together and it just works for us. I was never really nervous about it, though.

Gopher Hole: How about your own individual play? I know that you played really well this spring. How pleased are you with how well you have been playing?

Jarvis Thomas: I am actually very pleased with how well I have been playing. Thank you, by the way. You can always play better, but so far, I am pleased.

Gopher Hole: You picked up some new offers like Nevada, Marquette, Texas A&M and Pittsburgh. How many offers are you up to right now?

Jarvis Thomas: I think it is nine. (Green Bay, Oregon State, Arizona State, Iowa State and Cal State Bakersfield have also offered)

Gopher Hole: Have you given any thought about trying to visit some of those schools?

Jarvis Thomas: Me and my mom have talked about going to about visiting Pitt and A&M, I am pretty sure and possibly Butler.
Gopher Hole: When would you do that?

Jarvis Thomas: We don't know yet. Most likely June or like early September.

Gopher Hole: They had an article in the Minneapolis Star Tribune recently about you. It said that you are going to try to play football again this year?

Jarvis Thomas: Yes. I am probably going to play football this year.

Gopher Hole: How do you think football helps you for basketball?

Jarvis Thomas: It helps me in every way. It makes me tougher. More physical. I am a receiver, so I can catch some of those lobs that people don't think are catchable

Gopher Hole: The article also mentioned your relationship with former Gopher Jonathan Williams, who you have been working out with a lot. What has he meant to you?

Jarvis Thomas: He means a lot. Coach John has helped throughout this whole thing with recruiting, my skills, my social life. Even stuff between me and my mom. Like everything. Dude means the world to me.

Gopher Hole: Is that especially nice during the recruiting process, which has picked up quite a lot to talk to someone who has gone through it?

Jarvis Thomas: Yes. It is great to talk to somebody who has gone through it.

Gopher Hole: If I had told you a year ago that you would have these kind of offers, would you have been a little bit surprised or did you think that you had that potential?

Jarvis Thomas: I would have told you that you were lying.

Gopher Hole: That has to make you feel pretty proud, though?

Jarvis Thomas: Yes, it does. Definitely.

Gopher Hole: Does that make you want to work even harder to hear from other schools?

Jarvis Thomas: That has only added fuel to the fire.

Gopher Hole: Obviously, you are playing with a great team and that has to help you, too, especially Tre Jones, who will put you in the best position to be successful. Is that kind of nice to have a point guard who knows where to get you the ball?

Jarvis Thomas: Yes. For sure, Tre is great guard. He has been helping me out. He is probably some of the reasons that I have gotten the looks that I do. Definitely, he helps a lot.

Gopher Hole: I have seen some YouTube highlights of you recently. Do you ever check those out yourself?

Jarvis Thomas: Sometimes, yes I do.

Gopher Hole: Do you ever think, how did I do that?

Jarvis Thomas: I don't really realize what happens. I just do it.

Gopher Hole: Have you given some thought about when you would even try to decide on a school? Would you try to sign in the fall or have you even thought that far yet?

Jarvis Thomas: You know, I was think after football season, before high school basketball starts. In that area.

Gopher Hole: What are going to be the main factors that make you pick School A over School B or C?

Jarvis Thomas: The relationship with the coach. The players and the style of play.

Gopher Hole: What about Minnesota? I know that they have picked up some interest in you. What are they saying to you?

Jarvis Thomas: They haven't really said that much. They just want me to come for a visit to look at the new facilities and stuff.

Gopher Hole: I know that Daniel (Oturu) has committed. I know that he is talking to you and some of the other guys. What is he saying to you?

Jarvis Thomas: Daniel is just saying "Come home."

Top Bottom