November Schedule

Gopher Gildy

Reaction score
Curious to hear the thoughts of other fans. Our schedule (on paper) appears to be very back-loaded.

Nov 4 @ Michigan

Nov 11 vs. Nebraska (basically a neutral-site game, in terms of fans)

Nov 18 @ Northwestern (remember what happened last time we played here?)

Nov 25 vs. Wisconsin (no further elaboration needed)

To get to 6-8 regular season wins, I believe it will be necessary to rack up early season wins. Gotta beat the Oregon States and the Marylands and the Purdues to make November fun. I can see any of these 4 games going either way. What do you guys think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Curious to hear the thoughts of other fans. Our schedule (on paper) appears to be very back-loaded.

Nov 4 @ Michigan

To get to 6-8 regular season wins, I believe it will be necessary to rack up early season wins. Gotta beat the Oregon States and the Marylands and the Purdues to make November fun. I can see any of these 4 games going either way. What do you guys think?

I think you nailed it. I would add that Michigan State is a more winnable game then it has been in years past. They are coming off a 3-9 year and now they have off field issues. Not a cream puff by any means but I think it could go either way.

We will win a minimum of 8 games next year, guaranteed!

Houston, strictly out of curiosity, where do you get the eight regular-season wins from? In other words, which games are you confident we win?

We go in to the Iowa game 7-0 and beat Iowa and/or Northwestern for the 8th or 9th win. A good running game will take pressure off the new qb and as long as Richardson and Winfield stay on the field our defense will be solid. 8 maybe 9 wins.

The last three opponents are the same as last year. Though Michigan is a step up from Purdue obviously.

Nov 4 @ Michigan

Michigan loses 19 guys to the NFL. We had them beat in 2015, we beat them in 2014 in Ann Arbor.

Nebraska will have some red in TCF, but it is nothing like it was in the dome for some of these visitors...10,000 fewer seats and new pricing makes it tougher for road team invasion. Nebraska has less experience returning at QB than we do. Riley canned long time assistants to try and fix his d. We were right with them late in 4th quarter in Lincoln last year. Beat them in 2013 and 2014.

Northwestern we dominated last year. Walker went early to NFL draft and another lb signed as unfair. All American WR gone to NFL. Two dline guys made NFL rosters ( a third has a cocaine bust to deal with). Have beat them 3 of 4 now. We could have a higher pct of fans in Dyche than NE will have in TCF.

PJ will have those guys so jacked for Wisconsin it will be glorious. Wisconsin lost some high end talent to NFL in Ramcyzk, Watt, Biegel, Clement, Houston, Ogunbowale, Shelton. Had about as many guys miss Spring ball as we did.

Michigan loses 19 guys to the NFL. We had them beat in 2015, we beat them in 2014 in Ann Arbor.

Nebraska will have some red in TCF, but it is nothing like it was in the dome for some of these visitors...10,000 fewer seats and new pricing makes it tougher for road team invasion. Nebraska has less experience returning at QB than we do. Riley canned long time assistants to try and fix his d. We were right with them late in 4th quarter in Lincoln last year. Beat them in 2013 and 2014.

Northwestern we dominated last year. Walker went early to NFL draft and another lb signed as unfair. All American WR gone to NFL. Two dline guys made NFL rosters ( a third has a cocaine bust to deal with). Have beat them 3 of 4 now. We could have a higher pct of fans in Dyche than NE will have in TCF.

PJ will have those guys so jacked for Wisconsin it will be glorious. Wisconsin lost some high end talent to NFL in Ramcyzk, Watt, Biegel, Clement, Houston, Ogunbowale, Shelton. Had about as many guys miss Spring ball as we did.

I agree. Add to these that IA is replacing virtually all of its skilled position starters on offense. There are 8 games to be had...

I agree. Add to these that IA is replacing virtually all of its skilled position starters on offense. There are 8 games to be had...

Yes, there are 8 games to be had, but this is a totally homer analysis. Spin the other side and you get to seeing how it could be 6 wins. I'm still at 7.5 +-1.5 in my expectations for the season (so not far from the 8 wins, but with a hell of a lot less certainty). It will take seeing competent QB play from a Gopher (or Gophers) before I even think about bumping that up.

Technically, every game is an opportunity for a win - or a loss. Injuries, penalties, and turnovers are the unholy three factors - for both teams. Hey - I know it sounds crazy - but sometimes the other team can run into bad luck. Yeah, I know we're the Gophers, but geez, they have to grab a break one of these decades.

So, I don't expect or label any game as a guaranteed win or loss. Line up, play the game. The team with more points at the end of the game wins. Unless there is a tie.

Yes, there are 8 games to be had, but this is a totally homer analysis. Spin the other side and you get to seeing how it could be 6 wins. I'm still at 7.5 +-1.5 in my expectations for the season (so not far from the 8 wins, but with a hell of a lot less certainty). It will take seeing competent QB play from a Gopher (or Gophers) before I even think about bumping that up.

I see it as a nice counter-balance analysis to the others posted that do just the opposite.

With us breaking in a new QB I'm pleased that most of the tougher games are later.

Technically, every game is an opportunity for a win - or a loss. Injuries, penalties, and turnovers are the unholy three factors - for both teams. Hey - I know it sounds crazy - but sometimes the other team can run into bad luck. Yeah, I know we're the Gophers, but geez, they have to grab a break one of these decades.

So, I don't expect or label any game as a guaranteed win or loss. Line up, play the game. The team with more points at the end of the game wins. Unless there is a tie.

I agree, there are always one or two games each season that can go either way regardless of record. There have been a lot of tight games over the years with teams like Illinois, Purdue, and Northwestern. It's never easy to go in to Iowa City and win either regardless of each team's record.

Usually there is a surprise team or two (Illinois 2007, Iowa 2015, Penn State 2016) and a team that disappoints (Michigan 2014, Michigan State 2016).

All I can say is that you need to win your home games and non-conference games. I am in the minority, but I think the game at Oregon State is going to be a tough game to win for the Gophers.

I think 7-8 wins is realistic but I also would not be surprised if they end up with 6 or 9 wins.

As far as November schedule, it's not so much about who you play, but when you play them. Is a team coming off a heartbreaking loss? Is a team coming off an upset win? Is a team on a 3-game losing streak or are they riding a 4-game winning streak?

I'm pretty much expecting us to have 8 wins after 8 games.

Houston, strictly out of curiosity, where do you get the eight regular-season wins from? In other words, which games are you confident we win?

Let me first state that I didn't say 8 regular season games, although I think that is highly possible. I am not going to go through game by game and predict the season outcome. For the first time, I can't say that there are any "for sure losses" on the schedule, not one! I have never looked at an upcoming Gopher schedule without being able to pick out a few losses. Of course we will lose a game or three but I am gaining more confidence in this staff every day. So I think 8 games is very doable, the players are coming off a good season and have every reason to build on that success. Why not now, why not us!

Looking from a glass half-full scenario, IMHO the GOphers have a 6 to 10 wins potential. We have to see how the QB situation and all the other components of the team play out. The other factor is we hope that the GOphers stay relatively healthy especially towards the end of the season. That is not saying much. But, this is why this season is exciting. Either PJF get lucky and all the pieces of the team gel together quickly, or he is building momentum towards the next two seasons. If PJF is not worried (he is undefeated!), then I won't lose any sleep on this.

Best Case: 10 - Wins
08/31 Buffalo
09/09 Oregon State
09/16 MTSU
09/30 MD
10/07 PUR
10/14 MSU
10/21 IL
10/28 IA

11/14 MI
11/11 NE

11/18 NW