Gophers to Host Miami in Big Ten-ACC Challenge

DanielHouse

Reaction score
According to ESPN's Jeff Goodman, the Gophers will host Miami in the Big Ten-ACC Challenge at Williams Arena. This will be a matchup of two top-25 teams next season. In addition, it has the chance to be a resume builder for both teams. Six of Miami's top eight scorers return this season as the Hurricanes inject a top-10 recruiting class into their roster. The USA Today has the Hurricanes ranked 16 and the Gophers at 17 in their updated preseason top-25 rankings for 2017-18.

That's disappointing. Good game yes, but this won't fill The Barn.

According to ESPN's Jeff Goodman, the Gophers will host Miami in the Big Ten-ACC Challenge at Williams Arena. This will be a matchup of two top-25 teams next season. It will be a great resume game for both teams.
This is the worst news in the history of the program.

So the 5th best ACC team vs the 2nd or 3rd best big ten team.

Have to wonder if perennial powers are only allowed to play each other and the has beens are only allowed to play each other.

giphy.gif

So, Indiana coming off an awful season, gets back to back home games in the challenge and is rewarded with Duke coming to town? What a joke. Beyond disappointed. Not only that, we don't get Notre Dame or Louisville? Not surprised though, it isn't a challenge unless we play Florida State, Miami or UVA.

You think they would want some new blood. Any word on who NW is playing? Did they get screwed too?

Northwestern @ Georgia Tech. Yes, they got hosed, too.

SS, what are your thoughts on this? Is this challenge just showing its true colors, as GopherNuts allued to above, just about the money?

Also, is this news going to change the way you forecast it for next season?

Gophers receive big squishy tird

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Listening to Pitino on KFAN, he said this decision is made by ESPN. Yet another reason to hate them.

Dissapointing. I've been waiting for a Duke/Louisville matchup to be announced for the past 3 weeks and we get this. Bummer.

SS, what are your thoughts on this? Is this challenge just showing its true colors, as GopherNuts allued to above, just about the money?

Also, is this news going to change the way you forecast it for next season?

Definitely agree with GopherNuts. Money talks, but just as importantly so does Coach K. That arrogant pr*ck is above playing on the road at a place like Minnesota, so I'm sure he got his 2 cents in, and then some. The Gophers and Northwestern easily received the biggest hose jobs from ESPN/Jim Delany. Based on last year + this year's expectations, the Gophers at worst should have drawn Notre Dame.

This is disappointing on so many levels. We're never getting one of the ACC big boys at home, today has convinced me of that.

Big Ten/ACC Challenge:

The full slate of Big Ten/ACC Challenge games. Dates and times will be announced at a later date:

Northwestern at Georgia Tech
Duke at Indiana
Notre Dame at Michigan State
Miami at Minnesota
Penn State at NC State
Boston College at Nebraska
Michigan at North Carolina
Clemson at Ohio State
Louisville at Purdue
Florida State at Rutgers
Maryland at Syracuse
Wisconsin at Virginia
Iowa at Virginia Tech
Illinois at Wake Forest

Definitely agree with GopherNuts. Money talks, but just as importantly so does Coach K. That arrogant pr*ck is above playing on the road at a place like Minnesota, so I'm sure he got his 2 cents in, and then some. The Gophers and Northwestern easily received the biggest hose jobs from their beloved ESPN/Jim Delany. Based on last year + this year's expectations, the Gophers at worst should have drawn Notre Dame.

This is disappointing on so many levels. We're never getting one of the ACC big boys at home, today has convinced me of that.

Coach K gets to pick on an historical blue blood that is rebuilding and gets to have a true road win. Typical.

Coach K gets to pick on an historical blue blood that is rebuilding and gets to have a true road win. Typical.

I really doubt Coach K has anything to do with it. This isn't football where this win might mean something. Duke is a 1-3 seed every year. I doubt he cares too much about this. This is driven by ESPN, full stop.

Certainly isn't a sexy matchup, but it's better than some here seem to think. Miami is a legit team. Sure, it's not sexy, but if you really look at the ACC next year Duke and UNC are both in rebuilding years. In terms of RPI (which is a terrible rating system, but matters for NCAA bracketing) Miami may well end up being a better opponent than Duke or UNC.

As pissed as I as a Gopher fan, just glad I'm not Northwestern. They have the right to be irate. If we didn't get Duke, I thought for sure it would be NW.

I really doubt Coach K has anything to do with it. This isn't football where this win might mean something. Duke is a 1-3 seed every year. I doubt he cares too much about this. This is driven by ESPN, full stop.

Tell that to our scheduling guru, SS

Could have been worse, it could have been Virginia.

Yea, he doesn't have a say. The fact that he's Coach K certainly plays into it from a marketing standpoint, but the matchups are made by ESPN and they care about the bottom line a heckuva lot more than they care about what K thinks

Miami projected rotation

PG: Ja'Quan Newton, 13.5 PPG, 3.4 APG
SG: Lonnie Walker, compsoite #15 recruit in the country
SF: Bruce Brown 11.8 PPG, 5.6 RPG, 3.2 APG
PF: Anthony Laurence, 6.8 PPG, 3.8 RPG
C: Dewan Huell, 5.8 PPG, 3.1 RPG

Bench: Chris Lykes, #60 composite recruit, Dejan Vasiljevic 6 PPG, Ebuka Ezindu, 4 PPG 3 RPG

Major losses: Davon Reed, 14.9 PPG 4.8 RPG, Kamari Murphy 7.1 PPG, 7.3 RPG

21-12 (10-8), first round NCAA loss to MSU

Certainly isn't a sexy matchup, but it's better than some here seem to think. Miami is a legit team. Sure, it's not sexy, but if you really look at the ACC next year Duke and UNC are both in rebuilding years. In terms of RPI (which is a terrible rating system, but matters for NCAA bracketing) Miami may well end up being a better opponent than Duke or UNC.

Ill give ya by the end of the year a win against miami might look just as good on our resume as any but the name recognition as well as the viewership that the blue bloods bring would have been invaluable for the Gophers. That being said hopefully the gophs have the type of year that we all forget about who we played in the ACC/B1G challenge and instead are worrying about a B1G title.

Top Bottom