All Things Summer Pro-Am (Current Gophers are playing)

I got the team with Mason/Coffey/Mbakwe. I don't see them losing a game. Might have to check this out. Would be fun to see Lynch vs. Mbakwe and also see the matchups between Mason, Washington and Jones.

Gabe and Tre are playing but I wonder why Oturu isn't

Also Pitino has said that Fitzgerald should be cleared mid-late June and this league up until August 10th. I'd love to see him join a team once he is cleared and get a sneak.

This thread is always my favorite of the summer. I agree - Mason, Coffey and Mbakwe is gonna be tough. I just like seeing all these names from the past...and the guest appearances.

Gabe and Tre are playing but I wonder why Oturu isn't

Also Pitino has said that Fitzgerald should be cleared mid-late June and this league up until August 10th. I'd love to see him join a team once he is cleared and get a sneak.

Oturu missed the Pangos All-American camp, this past weekend, due to a sore back. That being said, Marcus Fuller tweeted he should be ready for the NBAPA Top 100 camp coming up later this month, so it seems like it's probably a minor issue. Maybe he justs wants to rest up since he has been pretty much playing non-stop since the beginning of the HS season.

This thread is always my favorite of the summer. I agree - Mason, Coffey and Mbakwe is gonna be tough. I just like seeing all these names from the past...and the guest appearances.

I was thrilled to see the Gophers are back in the summer league. I went to a couple last summer and it's fun to see guys like Jarvis playing, Royce vs. Mbakwe, Tre & Tyus, etc. But this will be a lot of fun to get some breakdowns of guys like Isaiah Washington vs. some pretty experienced players.

Also, can't wait to see guys like Jordair Jett, Rundles, etc. play in person again! Guessing Tyus will play some games, it would be awesome if he brought a couple Timber-pups with him.

Thanks for posting. Pumped.

How much does it cost for admission?

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

How much does it cost for admission?

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
It has been free in the past - don't know if that's changed. It was out in the 'burbs for a while so I haven't been lately. Love the idea of having dinner at one of the great places northeast or downtown and then hoops

Pro-Am Rosters

http://www.twincitiesproam.com/rosters.html

Team Rosters

Diggs Team​
Jamar Diggs*
​Paris Kyles
Geno Crandall
Dupree McBryer
Seth Hinrichs
Tyler Cain
Jordan Hicks
​Gabe Kalscheur
Ted Brown
Jefferson Mason
Gaston Diedhiou

​N1 Motion
Jordan Taylor
Isaiah Washington
Mike Cunningham
Jordan Murphy
JT Gibson
Jamal Abu Shamala
Tom Gaghte
​CJ Erickson
Joel Armstrong
​Ryan Gargaro
Alex Thomas

Hybrid Nation
*Jeremy Sutherland
Nate Mason
John Warren
Amir Coffey
Brensley Hayward
Jordair Jett
Rich Melzer
Kaharri Carter
Mike Busack
Jalen Jaspers
AJ Wilson
Trevor Mbawke

​Errol Carlstrom Playaz
*Cameron Rundles
Reggie Lynch
David Hicks
Joey King
Raijon Kelly
Kurtis Koenig
Anthony Davis
Caleb Palkert
Jayson Edwards
Matz Stockman
​Joe Scott

Team Jones
Quinton Hooker
Matt Janning
Tre Jones
Eric Curry
Al Richter
Michael Hurt
Eric Coleman
Jason Birr
Jadee Jones
Dustin Fronk

​Finer Way Inc
*PJ Hill
Anthony Tucker
Royce White
Bakary Konate
Tyler Flack
Bryce Willams
Jamir Harris
Conner Nord
Jamel Staten
Tim Gil
Marvin Singelton

it was free last year- part of having the college kids play is that it has to be free, so it should be free again this year. Last year, the pop machine worked sporadically and it was hot in the gym, so bring a water bottle.
I hope it gets competitive enough for the guys so that they want to show up. Trevor was on a roster last year and i don't think he ever played and Tyus only played once that i know of, so picking a winner before you see who is on the court gets a little tricky. The Errol Carlstrom Playaz are going to be able to fill it up from the outside also. It is interesting to me to see who Coach Pitino has playing with whom. I like Tre playing with Eric Curry and Michael Hurt. Gabe and Tre played last year as incoming Juniors, i wonder if the NCAA certification this year means Mathew Hurt can't play or if he has US World team commitments?

Anyone know how busy these games get? Do i need to tent out overnight to get seats?

It has been free in the past - don't know if that's changed. It was out in the 'burbs for a while so I haven't been lately. Love the idea of having dinner at one of the great places northeast or downtown and then hoops

Couldn't agree more. Looking forward to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will definitely be going to lots of these games. Always fun to see guys who torched me in high school get torched by current gopher players.

I got the team with Mason/Coffey/Mbakwe. I don't see them losing a game. Might have to check this out. Would be fun to see Lynch vs. Mbakwe and also see the matchups between Mason, Washington and Jones.

Jordair Jett will also help the Mason Coffey Mbakwe squad as well

Anyone know how busy these games get? Do i need to tent out overnight to get seats?
I wouldn't be too worried about finding a seat unless Karl or Wiggins comes to play.

STrib: Isaiah Washington dazzles in Twin Cities basketball debut

The first time Isaiah Washington checked into the game at Monday’s Twin Cities Pro Am, the couple of hundred fans in the crowd at DeLaSalle High School gave him resounding applause.

That was before the highly touted Gophers incoming freshman even gave them a glimpse of why he’s the New York Mr. Basketball and a social media star as the co-founder of the Jelly Fam club.

It took only his first offensive possession for the “oohs and aahs” to come as the 6-1 Harlem native had his defender dancing to keep up with his flashy ball-handling and spin moves.

A few minutes into the second quarter, Washington cut to the lane and finished with one of his trademark “Jelly” finger rolls, which started his online fame last year. Through three quarters, he already had scored all of his 25 points, which included a 360-degree layup, a few three-pointers and a transition dunk.

Gophers fans definitely got what they wanted to see in Washington’s Twin Cities debut. The top incoming recruit for Richard Pitino could be an impact reserve for a 24-win Minnesota team that returns All-Big Ten senior point guard Nate Mason.

“I didn’t expect a crowd like this for the first game, but it helped to have all of the Gophers players, especially Isaiah,” said Jamar Diggs, Twin Cities Pro Am founder and former DeLaSalle standout. “Hopefully, we can make it like this the whole summer.”

http://www.startribune.com/a-showman-from-the-start/429559863/#1

Go Gophers!!

I am far from an expert when it comes to the finer points of the rules of NCAA basketball, but it sure appears that Washington comes very close to "carrying" the ball when goes into entertainment mode and tries to breakdown his defender. Are these moves that he likes to showcase in casual settings like this, or will he have to change his mechanics somewhat once the season starts? Or is his dribbling well within the rules?

It's a valid concern if you only watch his highlight clips, but to be fair to Isaiah he earned Mr. Basketball in the state of New York. It's not like we picked him up off the And-1 tour (if that's even a thing anymore). He's played plenty of organized ball with referees that are going to blow the whistle if he get's excessive with palming it on the dribble. He understands the difference between pick up games in Harlem vs. organized team basketball.

I'm hopeful Pitino can bring out some more defensive intensity from him. It's an all-star game, and word was he and Murph were late due to an afternoon work out so I'm sure he was tired, but nevertheless he seems to take a pretty nonchalant attitude at that end of the court. That will be the evolution he needs to make before B10 if he's going to make a big impact this year. Overall, has the makings of an extremely capable B10 PG.

It's a valid concern if you only watch his highlight clips, but to be fair to Isaiah he earned Mr. Basketball in the state of New York. It's not like we picked him up off the And-1 tour (if that's even a thing anymore). He's played plenty of organized ball with referees that are going to blow the whistle if he get's excessive with palming it on the dribble. He understands the difference between pick up games in Harlem vs. organized team basketball.

I'm hopeful Pitino can bring out some more defensive intensity from him. It's an all-star game, and word was he and Murph were late due to an afternoon work out so I'm sure he was tired, but nevertheless he seems to take a pretty nonchalant attitude at that end of the court. That will be the evolution he needs to make before B10 if he's going to make a big impact this year. Overall, has the makings of an extremely capable B10 PG.
Yeah, I noticed in his high school clips, he looks like a more than willing passer. These proams are more like ab all-star game. A little more defense is played, but not like a real game. Nothing wrong with Washington trying to show off a bit in his first game in the Twin cities.

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

...which is all I've done. I'm not ripping the kid, but was just curious. Thanks for your thoughts and I think he will be great, I was just making a comment that he seemed to be doing things in certain settings that weren't conducive to Big10 basketball...but you bring up a good point that they are just from highlight tapes.

Jordan Taylor and Jordan Murphy could be one heck of a duo of Jordans.

...which is all I've done. I'm not ripping the kid, but was just curious. Thanks for your thoughts and I think he will be great, I was just making a comment that he seemed to be doing things in certain settings that weren't conducive to Big10 basketball...but you bring up a good point that they are just from highlight tapes.

Yep for sure, sorry if I came off as critical. It's going to be a lot of fun to watch him develop, he'll certainly need to evolve and drop some playground instincts, I trust staff to develop him.

Anything more recent? How often do they play?

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

per Shama:

The draw for many fans attending the free games of the Pro Am league is the Gophers players including incoming freshman Isaiah Washington. Known for flashy moves and shots, the New York City point guard might have a skillset unlike any player who has ever been a Gopher. The best comparison could be with Ray Williams, the former Gopher guard-forward, also from New York, who dazzled crowds at Williams Arena in the 1970s before playing in the NBA.

Washington has made an early impression on Pro Am commissioner Jamar Diggs. “He is a special athlete,” Diggs said.

Former Gopher Trevor Mbakwe, who plays for Hybrid Nation, was asked if Washington’s flamboyant style might make it more difficult for the former New York City Mr. Basketball to fit in with older teammates. “I am sure there’s going to be times when Nate (Mason) is going to have to bring him to the side to do something. Change what he’s doing, but I don’t think that‘s going to be an issue at all (fitting in),” Mbakwe said. “We have great upperclassmen.”

Mason plays in the Pro Am league for Hybrid Nation so he isn’t on Washington’s N1 Motion team that includes Gopher Jordan Murphy, but as a senior point guard Mason’s job will be to mentor the freshman. Monday night he sat next to Washington on the bench during N1 Motion’s game against Diggs Team.

Washington looked disinterred in playing defense in the game but earlier in the evening Diggs cautioned about making too much of any player’s profile in Pro Am games. “To be honest, this is glorified pickup (basketball),” Diggs said. “No matter who comes in here, you can’t notice too much what’s going on. It’s not a college game. It’s not a professional game.”

Mbakwe, though, has picked up on the excitement of fans about Washington. “We’re lucky to have him here,” Mbakwe said.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom