All Things Summer Pro-Am (Current Gophers are playing)

It's not like I said Pitino should roll in and hold him accountable. Was just expanding on a previous post that pointed out that Tre looked more polished.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My bad I get what you were saying now

My bad I get what you were saying now

I have gotten kicked out of a coed basketball championship game though, so maybe my expectations are too high!

I did notice Tyus purposely talking to IW at least 3 times. It wasn't small talk-it was coaching pointers.

Is there video of Tyus posterizing Jamal Abu Shamala from last night anywhere?

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Didn't make it tonight, but saw some Jones highlights on twitter. Anyone want to offer updates as they may pertain to the gophers?

Didn't make it tonight, but saw some Jones highlights on twitter. Anyone want to offer updates as they may pertain to the gophers?

No one showed up, which was pretty disappointing given it was my first opportunity to catch some action. Hurt played in the first game, but I would have hoped for more considering the level of play was rather unimpressive. He looked rather "slow" out there and his 3-ball was off seemingly the whole game. Still he was able to get to the line a few times and finish inside despite his game not really translating in pick up style games. Everyone seemed to hold their breath when Tyus hit the floor, but he was ok. Tre was also a no show.

I only caught the first quarter of the 2nd game, but it was so terrible that I left to go find my wife. Reggie certainly looked like a defensive/rebounding force out there, so that at least got me excited for the season. It was also fun to see Joey (especially given my Drake affinity) chuck up some 3s again, although Im not sure he made any.

Hopefully I can see some more playoff games before the end, but I would really hope that some more guys show. Cannot really ask for a refund given that I didn't pay anything. The season can't come soon enough.

No one showed up, which was pretty disappointing given it was my first opportunity to catch some action. Hurt played in the first game, but I would have hoped for more considering the level of play was rather unimpressive. He looked rather "slow" out there and his 3-ball was off seemingly the whole game. Still he was able to get to the line a few times and finish inside despite his game not really translating in pick up style games. Everyone seemed to hold their breath when Tyus hit the floor, but he was ok. Tre was also a no show.

I only caught the first quarter of the 2nd game, but it was so terrible that I left to go find my wife. Reggie certainly looked like a defensive/rebounding force out there, so that at least got me excited for the season. It was also fun to see Joey (especially given my Drake affinity) chuck up some 3s again, although Im not sure he made any.

Hopefully I can see some more playoff games before the end, but I would really hope that some more guys show. Cannot really ask for a refund given that I didn't pay anything. The season can't come soon enough.

Agree with Drake. Too many no shows. Highlight of game 1 was Tyus hitting 3/4 court shot off the ceiling...waved off for interference. The players were not engaged in game 2...and talent level was certainly far below game 1.

BTW parking was brutal for game 1...think folks were there to see Jelly because the gym quickly cleared after game 1.

We had 5 people there last night to see game 1 with jelly against the jones bros. Very disappointed there was no jelly, Murphy, Curry, etc. Ended up leaving with 2 min left in game 1.

Just looking online i didn't see Jellys name mentioned anywhere for the league tonight. Anybody know if he played? If he didn't play, anyone know why? I did see that Murphy played tonight after missing their last game

Only Reggie and Jordan showed up - no Washington to which most people came to see. Wish they would can the music played for the whole game and it would be nice if they introduced the players before the games.

Reggie and Jarvis are champs!

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

It was a pretty entertaining game, place was packed! Rundels is a treat to watch if you love hoops. Add in Tyus, Tre, Big Reggie, etc. was a good Pro Am finale.

Gotta say, FWIW, I'm really unimpressed with Hurt.. Never seen a kid advertised as a shooter be that gun shy. Yeah its only summer league, but he did not impress in any way.

Who are all the players on the championship team?

Also, how did Jarvis do against the Joneses?

It was a pretty entertaining game, place was packed! Rundels is a treat to watch if you love hoops. Add in Tyus, Tre, Big Reggie, etc. was a good Pro Am finale.

Gotta say, FWIW, I'm really unimpressed with Hurt.. Never seen a kid advertised as a shooter be that gun shy. Yeah its only summer league, but he did not impress in any way.

Hurts never been a shooter wasn't in high school. People assume that because of his skin color

View attachment 5001

http://www.johnmarshallrockets.org/page/show/1044660-jm-boys-basketball-history

"Hurt, averaging 23.5 points and 8.2 rebounds a game for the Rockets this season, is known for his outside shooting and ball handling"

http://www.twincities.com/2015/01/16/gophers-basketball-rochesters-michael-hurt-commits-to-umn/

Maybe you're thinking of a different guy...?

I was thinking the same thing... many-many articles from when he was a recruit that describe him as a shooter.

Hurts never been a shooter wasn't in high school. People assume that because of his skin color

That's not true at all. He was advertised as a shooter and has even proclaimed himself as a "really good three point shooter".

“He talked about my basketball IQ a lot,” Hurt said of Pitino. “He likes how I can see the floor, distribute it really well and shoot it from three. I’m a really good three-point shooter. But I’ve been working on other areas of my game, like my midrange jumper.”

It's unfortunate, but he seems to have completely lost his rhythm. Hopefully he's putting up a ton of shots in the gym.

I'll reserve final judgement of Hurt's game when he is playing w/ his brother w/ the Gophers.

That's not true at all. He was advertised as a shooter and has even proclaimed himself as a "really good three point shooter".

“He talked about my basketball IQ a lot,” Hurt said of Pitino. “He likes how I can see the floor, distribute it really well and shoot it from three. I’m a really good three-point shooter. But I’ve been working on other areas of my game, like my midrange jumper.”

It's unfortunate, but he seems to have completely lost his rhythm. Hopefully he's putting up a ton of shots in the gym.

I think Hurt's #1 issue is confidence and 1B is comfort. He never seemed to have either on the floor last year and that can completely negate whatever shooting ability he had. Hopefully he gets it back soon

46.1% from deep his senior year... I'd say he's a shooter.

Just lacking confidence right now. Needs some of that Jelly swagger to rub off on him.

46.1% from deep his senior year... I'd say he's a shooter.

Just lacking confidence right now. Needs some of that Jelly swagger to rub off on him.

I find it comical that so many people are so quick to write someone off after their Freshman season. How dare a Freshman struggle. Anybody remember how Eric Harris looked as a Freshman? Watch Michael shoot during warmups. He is a very good shooter, and will be a very good player for this team. Even more comical than those ripping a Freshman are those who are anointing someone who hasn't played a minute vs. D1 competition.

What a dumb comment.

I've watched Michael Hurt play for years, my brother in law coaches in the Big nine. He was never the prototypical "shooter". You're sensitive OC ears may not like what I have to say but that is the only possible way someone could conclude he's a shooter. He was a complete score at Marshall.

I've watched Michael Hurt play for years, my brother in law coaches in the Big nine. He was never the prototypical "shooter". You're sensitive OC ears may not like what I have to say but that is the only possible way someone could conclude he's a shooter. He was a complete score at Marshall.

Are you saying he isn't a shooter, or that he isn't JUST a shooter? There's a difference. If you think he wasn't a very good shooter in high school then you simply have no clue what you're talking about.

Not sure where to put this, but here's about a minute of Isaiah Washington going up against Isaiah whitehead in some type of open gym setting. Must be somewhere in NYC.

https://twitter.com/overtime/status/897999042256437248

Brings up some serious trauma from the 2014 recruiting cycle with him and Vaughn. How were we in the top 3 of the top two SGs that year?

Not sure where to put this, but here's about a minute of Isaiah Washington going up against Isaiah whitehead in some type of open gym setting. Must be somewhere in NYC.

https://twitter.com/overtime/status/897999042256437248

Brings up some serious trauma from the 2014 recruiting cycle with him and Vaughn. How were we in the top 3 of the top two SGs that year?

Pretty cool. There was a video of Lebron, Durant and Carmelo playing a pickup game at that exact gym a couple days ago so it must be pretty high profile like Jordan Brand's Terminal 23 (Isaiah's played there too). It can't be a bad thing getting him around those types of guys. It should serve as motivation if nothing else.

Those were the good old days in recruiting though. There was the Josh Perkins-Rashad Vaughn package deal and the Jaquan Newton-Isaiah Whitehead package deal. The fact we were able to get in on those other guys so late in the process really spoke to Pitino's recruiting ability and Kimani's ties out East. As the Gophers continue to have success you have to imagine they'll only become more established in the Northeast and that's the exciting part. Pairing the local guys here with the ever talent rich tri-state players.

Top Bottom