All Things Summer Pro-Am (Current Gophers are playing)

Isaiah hit a dagger stepback trey to put the game away. Beast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm blown away. I was at the game and left at half time having concluded that the best non NBA guard on the floor was Tre. (I thought that both Tre and Jelly were really good, but that Tre was a little better.) What happened in the second half?

I'm blown away. I was at the game and left at half time having concluded that the best non NBA guard on the floor was Tre. (I thought that both Tre and Jelly were really good, but that Tre was a little better.) What happened in the second half?

Most entertaining game I have seen in a long time. Back and forth at the end between the Jones' boys and Jelly and Jordan. Isaiah and Murphy help give Team Jones their first loss.

A bunch of the highlights are on twitter. Well worth checking out. Very fun basketball.

How did the Gophers land this kid? I know the Kumasi Young connection but he is different. Can't believe he is here. So stoked to watch him.

How did the Gophers land this kid? I know the Kumasi Young connection but he is different. Can't believe he is here. So stoked to watch him.

I'm sorry, "Kumasi Young"? You can do better than that. But yeah, seems like he really didn't get nearly all the offers that he deserves(d) and I'm not sure how he landed here but we won't complain! He's going to be something very special, although I'd say we could all benefit from tempering expectations just a bit. He's a freshman and there will be some growing pains. The last thing we need is rabid fans overreacting when he hits some bumps in the road or if he starts off slow. I'm very excited like everyone else though, it's going to be a fun ride.

Based on the wrong half of basketball that I saw last night I think that it will be an interesting, though not necessarily unique year for IW. He's short (under 6') and really strong. It was great to see him go against Tre, who looked more polished, at least partially because he was playing with an NBA player who's been his running mate his whole life. I think IW will look amazing in the preseason against weaker competition and less defense and people will have an outsized opinion of him. In the B1G he'll do well at home and struggle on the road. The size and defense of B1G will prevent some of his acrobatics. If he lets the staff coach him he could be Bobby Jackson and get to the NBA in two years.

Man, if we get Tre......

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Based on the wrong half of basketball that I saw last night I think that it will be an interesting, though not necessarily unique year for IW. He's short (under 6') and really strong. It was great to see him go against Tre, who looked more polished, at least partially because he was playing with an NBA player who's been his running mate his whole life. I think IW will look amazing in the preseason against weaker competition and less defense and people will have an outsized opinion of him. In the B1G he'll do well at home and struggle on the road. The size and defense of B1G will prevent some of his acrobatics. If he lets the staff coach him he could be Bobby Jackson and get to the NBA in two years.

Man, if we get Tre......

I agree for the most part, especially about the polish.

IW definitely looked like he was playing a summer pick up game with guys he didn't know after a long day of practice (showed up a couple min before game, generally poor body language, lazy defense, didn't rotate on offense, threw arms up in disbelief when team jones was drilling 3s). That said, he had some incredible plays. There was one fast break where he bested both joneses before an acrobatic finish in traffic. Tre, and the whole of team Jones on the other hand, looked a lot more efficient and were playing with more purpose/cohesion. I guess you could say that it looks like Tre has been training with team USA while IW has been busy dazzling crowds.

I came away a *little* disappointed that IW didn't look like he was taking it as seriously as the Jones but excited to see him play with some big ten training.

Also I was hoping to see some better personal interaction between Tre and IW. I didn't see too much to suggest they enjoy competing against each other. Could be meaningless though. Anyone else catch anything like this?

I came away a *little* disappointed that IW didn't look like he was taking it as seriously as the Jones but excited to see him play with some big ten training.

He led his team back from a 20 point deficit to beat a team led by an NBA player and the #1 guard recruit in the nation. If he was taking it less seriously than the Joneses, he's going to be awesome when he DOES take it seriously. LOL

I agree for the most part, especially about the polish.

IW definitely looked like he was playing a summer pick up game with guys he didn't know after a long day of practice (showed up a couple min before game, generally poor body language, lazy defense, didn't rotate on offense, threw arms up in disbelief when team jones was drilling 3s). That said, he had some incredible plays. There was one fast break where he bested both joneses before an acrobatic finish in traffic. Tre, and the whole of team Jones on the other hand, looked a lot more efficient and were playing with more purpose/cohesion. I guess you could say that it looks like Tre has been training with team USA while IW has been busy dazzling crowds.

Also I was hoping to see some better personal interaction between Tre and IW. I didn't see too much to suggest they enjoy competing against each other. Could be meaningless though. Anyone else catch anything like this?

You do know this is glorified pick up ball. It's about as intense as that beer league hockey at bremar on Wednesday nights

I'm sorry, "Kumasi Young"? You can do better than that. But yeah, seems like he really didn't get nearly all the offers that he deserves(d) and I'm not sure how he landed here but we won't complain! He's going to be something very special, although I'd say we could all benefit from tempering expectations just a bit. He's a freshman and there will be some growing pains. The last thing we need is rabid fans overreacting when he hits some bumps in the road or if he starts off slow. I'm very excited like everyone else though, it's going to be a fun ride.

Sorry. Must have been autocorrect as I primarily check GH from my phone. I'll try to prevent all typos in the future to keep you happy :)

I'm not expecting him to be NPOY or 1st team all B1G. I think he adds something from the bench, at least, that we have been missing. He can come in and attack relentlessly, push pace, etc. Not saying he won't start or be more than that, but for a freshman I will take a good bench player.

What I'm most excited about is the kid seems to work extremely hard. Any flaws in his game that are exposed this year will be addressed. I am confident in that.

He led his team back from a 20 point deficit to beat a team led by an NBA player and the #1 guard recruit in the nation. If he was taking it less seriously than the Joneses, he's going to be awesome when he DOES take it seriously. LOL

Absolutely, that's my point!

You do know this is glorified pick up ball. It's about as intense as that beer league hockey at bremar on Wednesday nights

It's not like I said Pitino should roll in and hold him accountable. Was just expanding on a previous post that pointed out that Tre looked more polished.

Sorry. Must have been autocorrect as I primarily check GH from my phone. I'll try to prevent all typos in the future to keep you happy :)

I'm not expecting him to be NPOY or 1st team all B1G. I think he adds something from the bench, at least, that we have been missing. He can come in and attack relentlessly, push pace, etc. Not saying he won't start or be more than that, but for a freshman I will take a good bench player.

What I'm most excited about is the kid seems to work extremely hard. Any flaws in his game that are exposed this year will be addressed. I am confident in that.

You're fine, I just like to dish out some **** every once in a while. ;)
Right, I think he's going to be a high volume scorer off the bench who may have hot and cold runs at times, and that is plenty expected for talented freshman. I personally think it says a lot that he's going head to head against the #1 PG in the country who's only a year under him and competing at just as high of a level. That's impressive.

You're fine, I just like to dish out some **** every once in a while. ;)
Right, I think he's going to be a high volume scorer off the bench who may have hot and cold runs at times, and that is plenty expected for talented freshman. I personally think it says a lot that he's going head to head against the #1 PG in the country who's only a year under him and competing at just as high of a level. That's impressive.

Without a doubt. I'm not worried about his size. He seems to handle contact really well and looks to be an adept finisher. Works tirelessly on his jump shot/3 pointers. He looks 770 the other night. Made 500. That is good, even in an empty gym.

I think his off the court impact is hard to ignore as well. New fans, more press coverage, etc.

I did notice Tyus purposely talking to IW at least 3 times. It wasn't small talk-it was coaching pointers.

Is there video of Tyus posterizing Jamal Abu Shamala from last night anywhere?

Tyus should be telling his brother to stay in Minnesota!

I did notice Tyus purposely talking to IW at least 3 times. It wasn't small talk-it was coaching pointers.

Is there video of Tyus posterizing Jamal Abu Shamala from last night anywhere?

I believe the Twin Cities Pro Am retweeted it

Compared to IW dropping 35 on Tyus, Tre, and Quinton Hooker, he was a bit underwhelming. Not the best player on his team. Great shooter and nice elevation on his jump shot. Strong, but pretty short for a 2. More athletic than Gabe though. But compared to Diedhou...what a waste of a scholarship he is. Gaston was like the 40th best player in the gym.

It was great to see Mckinley Wright and IW back to back, since essentially we signed IW instead of offering Wright. I continue to like that decision.

Compared to IW dropping 35 on Tyus, Tre, and Quinton Hooker, he was a bit underwhelming. Not the best player on his team. Great shooter and nice elevation on his jump shot. Strong, but pretty short for a 2. More athletic than Gabe though. But compared to Diedhou...what a waste of a scholarship he is. Gaston was like the 40th best player in the gym.

It was great to see Mckinley Wright and IW back to back, since essentially we signed IW instead of offering Wright. I continue to like that decision.

Thanks for the update.

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom