All Things Summer Pro-Am (Current Gophers are playing)

KARE 11: Local hoops stars shine at revamped Twin Cities Pro Am

Lately week nights at DeLaSalle high school mean one thing: hoops. From former Gopher legends to pros playing overseas, some of the best talent the state has to offer is on display. That includes, for the first time since 2013, current Gopher basketball players.

“I’m getting calls and meetings from all over the place,” Jamar Diggs said. “People are excited about it, and that’s how I felt going into it.”

When Diggs, a former DeLaSalle star, brought the Twin Cities Pro Am back last year the buzz was undeniable.

“You never know who’s going to show up,” Diggs said.

This year though the hype has reached a fever pitch after Gophers basketball coach Richard Pitino gave his players the okay to play.

“Them being a part of it is a big key,” Diggs said.

Part of the fun is seeing current Gopher stars like Amir Coffey going head-to-head with former Gopher stars like Jamal Abu-Shamala. Then, there are guys like incoming Gopher freshman Isaiah Washington, who is proving that all the hype surrounding his so called “jelly,” just might be for real.

“Sometimes I get perplexed that he’s 18 or 19,” Diggs said. “It’s like, ‘Wow, you’re a special talent.’”

One of the biggest stars though this summer isn’t a current Gopher or even one from the best.

As one of the top high school recruits in the nation, Apple Valley’s Tre Jones has a tough decision coming up, and the Gophers are definitely in the mix.

“A ton of people here are telling me to stay home,” Tre said. “The Gophers got a lot better last year. I feel like they’re going in the right direction.”

Coaching Tre is none other than his older brother Tyus, a current Minnesota Timberwolf, who’s been in Tre’s shoes.

“To this point in his life, it’s the biggest decision he’s ever made,” Tyus said. “He needs to take his time and weigh out all his options.”

Options that include joining the guys he’s playing with and against in the Pro Am.

“It definitely gives an advantage to the Gophers,” Tre said. “I’m able to spend some time with them and play with them or against them and see what their game is like.”

http://www.kare11.com/sports/local-hoops-stars-shine-at-revamped-twin-cities-pro-am/452511232

Go Gophers!!

I haven't been able to make it to the games but have enjoyed reading comments about the players and how they are doing.

I haven't seen much written about the Louisville transfer, Matz Stockman. I see he is on a roster. Is he playing? How does he look? Any chance he'll be a good addition after his
sitting out for a year?

I haven't been able to make it to the games but have enjoyed reading comments about the players and how they are doing.

I haven't seen much written about the Louisville transfer, Matz Stockman. I see he is on a roster. Is he playing? How does he look? Any chance he'll be a good addition after his
sitting out for a year?

Concussion. Should be back soon though.

I got to watch the second game last night with Murphy and Washington going against the Curry and Hooker squad. Murphy scored at will and was working all night at driving to the hole. So he is definitely working on his ball handling and improvement is there. He played hard as did Washington. Washington's ball handling skills are just unbelievable. This leads him to try the impossible and turn the ball over at times but I am certain he won't be doing that in Gopher games. He can create a shot and drill it from deep unlike any Gopher on last year's team. That said there were a number of times where he didn't look for anyone else- he just set his mind on going one on one through the entire opposing squad- which didn't always work out for him. He's going to be great and there were moments where he also made some great dishes. He's going to be a guy that makes plays at the end of games as he matures- kind of how Trimble does. He's strong as a bull for his age.

Curry looked good but had his hands full guarding Murphy. Not sure on the scoring. I'd guess maybe 30+ for Murphy, 15 to 18 for Washington and maybe 12- 15 points for Curry. Hurt also looked very active and confident in the game. Hit a few bombs and made a number of drives for buckets.

I've seen Hurt and Curry's team play twice and if I didn't know any better, I'd say Hurt is about the same caliber of player as Curry. He's playing well and they seem to both about equally productive.

I've seen Hurt and Curry's team play twice and if I didn't know any better, I'd say Hurt is about the same caliber of player as Curry. He's playing well and they seem to both about equally productive.

I would agree- except that it's a lot harder to find 6-9 players of that quality than 6-6 guys. So while they are similar in talent the height sets Curry apart in terms of value and potential.

Just the fact that Hurt "sounds" (reads) confident is awesome. Last year he desperately needed to be redshirted, unfortunately, I think Gilbert's lack of development prevented that.

If he can be an off the bench shooter, that's amazing. Can he defend and rebound yet will be the big question?

Hurt also looked very active and confident in the game. Hit a few bombs and made a number of drives for buckets.

That's good to hear, he should be making it rain and taking it to the rack in these games...

If Hurt is looking good in these games I'd put little stock in how that will translate to next season, but if he's looking like just another guy out there, I'd be worried. Monday he didn't show much and did look tentative.

I got to watch the second game last night with Murphy and Washington going against the Curry and Hooker squad. Murphy scored at will and was working all night at driving to the hole. So he is definitely working on his ball handling and improvement is there. He played hard as did Washington. Washington's ball handling skills are just unbelievable. This leads him to try the impossible and turn the ball over at times but I am certain he won't be doing that in Gopher games. He can create a shot and drill it from deep unlike any Gopher on last year's team. That said there were a number of times where he didn't look for anyone else- he just set his mind on going one on one through the entire opposing squad- which didn't always work out for him. He's going to be great and there were moments where he also made some great dishes. He's going to be a guy that makes plays at the end of games as he matures- kind of how Trimble does. He's strong as a bull for his age.

Curry looked good but had his hands full guarding Murphy. Not sure on the scoring. I'd guess maybe 30+ for Murphy, 15 to 18 for Washington and maybe 12- 15 points for Curry. Hurt also looked very active and confident in the game. Hit a few bombs and made a number of drives for buckets.

Thanks for the report beeg. I really hope Hurt takes a step forward this year. I'm a big fan of his potential. He has great size that can be a big weapon if he finds his confidence on his shot.

Rosario: The best ticket in town this summer? I have a suggestion …

But the best ticket in town this summer, in my view, is at a Twin Cities high school gym. You will be treated — in a laid-back, family-friendly environment — to amazing feats of acrobatic athleticism and exquisite performances that will solicit an ooh or an ahh on occasion. And the best thing about the best ticket in town this summer is that you do not need one.
I’m talking here about the second annual Twin Cities Pro Am basketball league.

The free and open-to-the-public summer league runs through August at the DeLaSalle high school gym. If you are a year-round basketball junkie and just plain love the sport, head down there and catch a game or two. I’ll even cover the entrance fee, which is zero, zilch, nada. You are most welcome.

It was the brainchild of Jamar Diggs. The 28-year-old Minneapolis native and standout DeLaSalle point guard returned home last May after wrapping up a nine-month season with the Juventus team from the Lithuanian basketball league.

Diggs saw a need to once again find a place for local hoops talents to play during the off-season following the demise of the Howard Pulley league. That effort, which also attracted players from Minnesota and across the country, was first held out of the Salvation Army gym in St. Paul and later at a facility in Eagan.

“I missed part of that,” Diggs said after the doubleheader ended Tuesday at his high school alma mater.

“I’ve been away for 2-3 years,” he said. “I don’t know the U of M players or the new high school stars. I’m halfway across the world. So I wanted to put this together for the Minnesota basketball community and a place in the dead summer time where we can work on our game.”

While playing overseas, Diggs was able to negotiate liability and other concerns with NCAA officials, Gophers coach Richard Pitino and other staffers to allow players like Murphy, Reggie Lynch, Bakary Konate and others to compete with a mix of semi-pros, former and current college hoopsters, and some high school rising stars. One of the high school participants is Tre Jones, brother of Minnesota Timberwolves player and Duke University standout Tyus Jones.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/07/0...cket-in-town-this-summer-i-have-a-suggestion/

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Word is Murph and Mbakwe matched up quite a bit last night and Murphy took it to him.

per Sid:

• Some familiar names are playing basketball at the Summer League at DeLaSalle. On Tuesday night, the Gophers’ Jordan Murphy had 17 points, eight rebounds and two steals. Aldrich had 12 points, 10 rebounds and two blocks. And former Gophers forward Trevor Mbakwe had seven points, six rebounds and one block.

http://www.startribune.com/wolves-offseason-has-been-a-fruitful-one/434401693/

Go Gophers!!

I wasn't there last night due to youth coaching obligations... but some friends of mine went and I heard the games weren't that great. Mason and Tyus went at it and apparently Tyus won the battle (as he should) but Mason was no slouch. Was anyone at the game that cares to report?

Even though I have not been able to attend very often, it's awesome that you can go watch the match-up's like the Gophers starting PG vs. a NBA'er free of charge in July.

I was there. Pretty much as you described it. Outside of the PG matchup, and Coffey it was a pretty boring game. Tyus is so smooth. His court vision and they way he runs the pick and roll are impressive to see in person. Mason's shot was off but he held his own vs. Tyus. They were going at each other pretty hard physically, and at one point verbally. Mason appears to have bulked up a little bit, but still has plenty of burst. Coffey looked smooth as ever, scoring and with solid court vision/passing. I wouldn't be surprised if he grew a little bit. He looked quite tall. No knee wrap/brace, so I'll take that as a good sign.

I was there. Pretty much as you described it. Outside of the PG matchup, and Coffey it was a pretty boring game. Tyus is so smooth. His court vision and they way he runs the pick and roll are impressive to see in person. Mason's shot was off but he held his own vs. Tyus. They were going at each other pretty hard physically, and at one point verbally. Mason appears to have bulked up a little bit, but still has plenty of burst. Coffey looked smooth as ever, scoring and with solid court vision/passing. I wouldn't be surprised if he grew a little bit. He looked quite tall. No knee wrap/brace, so I'll take that as a good sign.

Thanks!

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

CBS: DeLaSalle High School Basketball League Draws State’s Top College Players

“Obviously you’ve got everybody that we used to play Pulley together, and then you’ve got the young guys,” Matt Janning said. “The Gopher guys, the young high school kids — so it’s fun to kind of mix in and keep that good Minnesota basketball spirit alive.”

They come to see current Gophers like Jordan Murphy and get a sense of the present and future — exactly what Diggs wants.

That’s why it is fun — to be in an informal setting and able to see the state of basketball in our state.

“What I enjoy is, I get to see some of these young kids that I may have no connection with at all,” Diggs said. “I don’t know the top high school kids in Minnesota — not because I don’t want to, it’s because I’m not here. I’m out of touch, and when I come back home for the summer, this is a place where I can get these young guys — not just the players, but the fans as well — just to bring the whole community together.”

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2017/07/22/delasalle-summer-league/

Go Gophers!!

Going tonight. Missing Amir's team, but still excited to watch summer basketball.

Washington with 35 to lead N1 over Team Jones. He's gonna play a ton this year...he's special.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Washington with 35 to lead N1 over Team Jones. He's gonna play a ton this year...he's special.

Wow. Saw Team Jones was up 20 in the first quarter, went away from twitter for a while, then saw Isaiah hit a 3 to put his team up 1 with a minute left followed by Tyus retaking the lead. Somebody on N1 must've hit a last second shot to win it?

Wow. Saw Team Jones was up 20 in the first quarter, went away from twitter for a while, then saw Isaiah hit a 3 to put his team up 1 with a minute left followed by Tyus retaking the lead. Somebody on N1 must've hit a last second shot to win it?

Isaiah hit a dagger stepback trey to put the game away. Beast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom