Bob Stoops Retiring

FireDaveLee

Grizzled Veteran
Reaction score
per Pat Forde...

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Hell of a career there. He was a great coach. Hope there is nothing bad behind this (women issues, health, etc)...

Hell of a career there. He was a great coach. Hope there is nothing bad behind this (women issues, health, etc)...

There is very bad - Joe Mixon. Stoops reinstated Mixon after watching the assault video and giving him a redshirt year "suspension" - not going to survive that. He should be thankful he was allowed to retire.

There is very bad - Joe Mixon. Stoops reinstated Mixon after watching the assault video and giving him a redshirt year "suspension" - not going to survive that. He should be thankful he was allowed to retire.

Now that has to do with it?

Seems unlikely.

Source: OU coach Bob Stoops retiring - Barry Tramel Newsok.com

Bob Stoops, one of the three coaching giants of Oklahoma’s century-long football excellence, plans to tell his team Wednesday that he will retire after 18 seasons as the Sooner head coach.

An OU source said offensive coordinator Lincoln Riley will take over as head coach.

It is expected that Stoops will remain with the university in some capacity.

Riley, 33, a native of Muleshoe, Texas, has been at OU for two seasons.

“Great young coach, the program’s in great shape,” the source said. “Good recruiting class. Got a great young coach that anybody would want to have, ready to go. He’s as good a coach as there in America, at this stage in his career.

“And Bob got to do it in his way. Doesn’t get any better than that.”

Stoops, 56, coached the Sooners to the 2000 national champion and three other national title games. His 18-year record is 190-48. The Sooners won nine outright Big 12 titles under Stoops and tied for another.

Stoops was hired on Dec. 1, 1998, after five straight non-winning seasons. His first OU team went 7-5. His next five Sooner teams combined to go 60-7, and a new golden age of Sooner football was born.

This story will be updated.

Berry Tramel

http://newsok.com/source-ou-coach-bob-stoops-retiring/article/5551964

Why now though? Why June 7th, instead of February 7th?

T minus 8 minutes until Reusse or Doogie start Fleck to Oklahoma rumors.

No need to start any rumors because 33 year old Lincoln Riley will be taking over and barring any disasters this upcoming season will be the long term plan at HC.

No need to start any rumors because 33 year old Lincoln Riley will be taking over and barring any disasters this upcoming season will be the long term plan at HC.

Yeah his star was rising. I wouldn't be surprised if they try to make a go of it with him.

giphy.gif

Why now though? Why June 7th, instead of February 7th?

Why wait until January 3rd to fire Claeys? In hindsight Coyle clearly had his mind made up probably before the end of the season and was biding his time for public opinion to flow even more against keeping Claeys. The upset victory in San Diego delayed that a few days.

The Mixon video wasn't released until the offseason. It was the equivalent of issuing a press release on Friday night before Christmas. It is really, really egregious to reinstate Mixon after viewing that video as Stoops and other school officials did several weeks after the incident. It's simply unacceptable and would have (and still will) generate a lot of negative press going forward.

One has to think that as Stoops looks back on his career that he regrets not taking the Gopher job after he interviewed for it after we fired Wacker.

Go Gophers!!

I'm stumped by your shifting values. It's ok to keep proven violent criminals on the team?

Any valid arguments here?

Convince me Stoops wasn't a win at any cost coach.

Why wait until January 3rd to fire Claeys? In hindsight Coyle clearly had his mind made up probably before the end of the season and was biding his time for public opinion to flow even more against keeping Claeys. The upset victory in San Diego delayed that a few days.

The Mixon video wasn't released until the offseason. It was the equivalent of issuing a press release on Friday night before Christmas. It is really, really egregious to reinstate Mixon after viewing that video as Stoops and other school officials did several weeks after the incident. It's simply unacceptable and would have (and still will) generate a lot of negative press going forward.

The Mixon video was released on December 16th and he played in the Sugar Bowl a few weeks later. They elevated the OC to head coach who also coached Mixon for 2 years. Stoops retiring in June had nothing to do with Mixon.

Do you or do you not support coaches that keep players that fracture women's skulls, solely to gain a competitive advantage? Rutgers dropped Nelson after details came to light, for example. Why?

There are other marks on Stoops that form a pattern, if you care to look them up.

Do you or do you not support coaches that keep players that fracture women's skulls, solely to gain a competitive advantage? Rutgers dropped Nelson after details came to light, for example. Why?

There are other marks on Stoops that form a pattern, if you care to look them up.

mccarthyism-3.jpg

Way to make this about some silly rant and you PE....

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Should have hired him over Mason.

Way to make this about some silly rant and you PE....

(Shrug) I'm not ranting. He took a lot of heat for that decision even in the Okie echo chamber. Maybe you're the one that needs to question yourself. You're usually better than this , Slab. Particularly after you indicated support for expulsion of the gopher players the dissonance is strange.

(Shrug) I'm not ranting. He took a lot of heat for that decision even in the Okie echo chamber. Maybe you're the one that needs to question yourself. You're usually better than this , Slab. Particularly after you indicated support for expulsion of the gopher players the dissonance is strange.

Are you making lists of who supported what and then follow up if they're being consistent about it here? How creepy is that?

None of that seems to have anything to do with Stoops leaving....

I don't make lists. I have a good memory. It's ok to dodge the question if you can't think of a reasonable answer. I can't either.

Why did Stoops retire then? 2 months before camp? Maybe he did some reflecting on his life. Maybe he didn't like assholes like me impugning his character. Who knows? Do you? Maybe he wants to volunteer in Zaire.

Top Bottom