Minnesota Football: 2017 Gophers Preview and Prediction (50th nationally, 5th BTW)

Those are the areas people claimed were the weak points. I say they are stronger this year than last year.
In the other areas we are equal to or better than last year's team. We should have an excellent season an push for the Western division championship. That should be our elite expectation.

I fully expect us to be better at RB and LB this season due to depth and proven players returning. Outside of these two position groups, there isn't a single area on the team that anyone can claim "should be better." You can hope it's better and be optimistic about guys that didn't play or saw sparse playing time, but there is really nothing to base it on.

I fully expect us to be better at RB and LB this season due to depth and proven players returning. Outside of these two position groups, there isn't a single area on the team that anyone can claim "should be better." You can hope it's better and be optimistic about guys that didn't play or saw sparse playing time, <b>but there is really nothing to base it on.</b>

Better coaching?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Better coaching?

I thought the previous staff did a great job of coaching and got all that could be expected out of the talent they had on the team. Claeys needed better players to take the next step imo.

Can't wait for the end of Fall preseason. We'll have a better idea how this team will gel together.

Better coaching?

Do we have better coaches?

I'm sure Ed is great, but really I don't see a lot of resumes that imply serious upgrades over where we were at in many other spots...

When we hired these guys Ed was the only guy who folks even here outright hailed as an obvious improvement. Anyone else the best I saw was "yeah he's PJ's" or just "yay someone new".

I'm sure Ed is great, but really I don't see a lot of resumes that imply serious upgrades over where we were at in many other spots...

When we hired these guys Ed was the only guy who folks even here outright hailed as an obvious improvement. Anyone else the best I saw was "yeah he's PJ's" or just "yay someone new".

Well, I agree with you that we don't know yet if the new coaches are any better. I don't agree with you that many on this board haven't already made the assumption they are.

Well, I agree with you that we don't know yet if the new coaches are any better. I don't agree with you that many on this board haven't already made the assumption they are.

Oh I think plenty of folks think the coaches are an upgrade, but when the announcements occurred the reactions were hardly immediate praise (outside of Ed). It is a strange contrast.

I guess they got better after they came here...

That's certainly the perception and opinion of Fleck by the national media shortly before and after the U hired him. Coyle absolutely feels that way, clearly stated that in his expectations, and the salary offered reflects that as well.

That's certainly the perception and opinion of Fleck by the national media shortly before and after the U hired him. Coyle absolutely feels that way, clearly stated that in his expectations, and the salary offered reflects that as well.

I think the media is high on Fleck for sure... but I don't know that I've heard much praise for those under Fleck (Ed aside).

Coyle, what else is he gonna say?

I fully expect us to be better at RB and LB this season due to depth and proven players returning. Outside of these two position groups, there isn't a single area on the team that anyone can claim "should be better." You can hope it's better and be optimistic about guys that didn't play or saw sparse playing time, but there is really nothing to base it on.

RB could be best in ten years

LB could be best in ten years

K and P could be best in ten years...dedicated ST coach has nice track record

TE should be better...returns all with experience, hopefully Lingen back healthy, takes a redshirt off a guy who looked good in Spring, adds a bunch of good recruits...TE coach was named coach of year by coach scoop

DT should be better...returns Richardson (will be pre-season AllBig), a very solid senior in Stelter, a senior in Merrick who new S and C staff should do wonders for, a 4th year junior in Gary Moore who looked good in Spring...adds an AllAmerican juco, adds a bunch of good freshmen recruits, adds a juco walk-on...gets a fresh coach who has proven success at Northern Iowa...sounds like Fleck was reaching Merrick Jackson as a motivator

OL should be better...returns 7 of 10 from two deep...including four who started...adds best coach in country...takes redshirts off two, including one who may start at center...adds a juco...adds three good frosh (one among highest rated recruits ever at MN)

WR should be better...returns 7 of 8 from two deep...returns two most talented athletes in Still and Johnson...takes redshirts off three good ones in Howard, Hmielewski and Williams...adds three good recruits in Autman-Bell, VanDyne, Douglas...HC and WR coach and OC have great track record with WRs...

S could be better...returns 4 of top 5 from last year...adds two of highest regarded recruits Gophs have had at position...Winfield could be AllBig Ten type....gets RS off MAC transfer Dipre

DE is a concern with Ekpe and Elmore gone...DeLatti looks good; love what staff did in going with a modified 3-4 and using Coughlin, Devers, Martin as rush ends...could need immediate help from someone like Otomewo or Mafe.

QB is concerning, but could be better...many would say couldn't be much worse...new OC/QB coach has great track record...two guys who have seen a lot of back-up reps, a guy who was highly recruited, and staff's own recruit who came in early gives them some good raw material to work with

CB losing Hardin, Myrick, Buford is concerning...need big steps up from Shenault, Craighton; need immediate help from 2nd year guys Durr (injury may delay) and Kiondre Thomas and frosh recruit

I think the media is high on Fleck for sure... but I don't know that I've heard much praise for those under Fleck (Ed aside).

Coyle, what else is he gonna say?

Smith has had top ten defenses twice and has Big Ten, SEC, NFL experience; Paup was putting dlinemen in the NFL--- from Northern Iowa!; Ciarrocca has great track record running an offense and with QBs; Callahan was line coach of the year last year by Coach Scoop; the S and C coach turned down Notre Dame; one of the QC guys was a DC at Rutgers. The development guy was an Ivy head coach; Big East cooardinator.

Smith has had top ten defenses twice and has Big Ten, SEC, NFL experience; Paup was putting dlinemen in the NFL--- from Northern Iowa!; Ciarrocca has great track record running an offense and with QBs; Callahan was line coach of the year last year by Coach Scoop; the S and C coach turned down Notre Dame; one of the QC guys was a DC at Rutgers. The development guy was an Ivy head coach; Big East cooardinator.

To be clear I don't mind choosing any of these guys. The topic of having better coaches comes up sometimes as if it is an obvious fact and I'm completely lost on how folks are so sure of it.

I hope it is true!

I fully expect us to be better at RB and LB this season due to depth and proven players returning. Outside of these two position groups, there isn't a single area on the team that anyone can claim "should be better."

From everything I hear from Fleck and Gophersports motivation should be better...s and c should be better...player discipline should be better...team bonding should be better...home game atmosphere should be better...support from fans should be better...student support should be better...More home games in-conference is better...schedule appears to be among easiest in Big Ten...support from AD should be better...ticket sales management should be better...media support should be better...head coach wears headset and engages with team on sideline, so guessing in game support from head coach is better. Sounds like spirituality should be better. Missed games from illegal hits should be better. Missed games from title 9 case should be better. Conditioning should be better with new practice time and fast pace of practice.

From everything I hear from Fleck and Gophersports motivation should be better...s and c should be better...player discipline should be better...team bonding should be better...home game atmosphere should be better...support from fans should be better...home game environment should be better...More home games in-conference is better...schedule appears to be among easiest in Big Ten...support from AD should be better...ticket sales management should be better...head coach wears headset and engages with team on sideline, so guessing in game support from head coach is better.

I think the weather is supposed to be better as well....

From everything I hear from Fleck and Gophersports motivation should be better...s and c should be better...player discipline should be better...team bonding should be better...home game atmosphere should be better...support from fans should be better...student support should be better...More home games in-conference is better...schedule appears to be among easiest in Big Ten...support from AD should be better...ticket sales management should be better...media support should be better...head coach wears headset and engages with team on sideline, so guessing in game support from head coach is better.

Kinda like "Fake It 'Til You Make It" huh?

From everything I hear from Fleck and Gophersports motivation should be better...s and c should be better...player discipline should be better...team bonding should be better...home game atmosphere should be better...support from fans should be better...student support should be better...More home games in-conference is better...schedule appears to be among easiest in Big Ten...support from AD should be better...ticket sales management should be better...media support should be better...head coach wears headset and engages with team on sideline, so guessing in game support from head coach is better. Sounds like spirituality should be better. Missed games from illegal hits should be better. Missed games from title 9 case should be better. Conditioning should be better with new practice time and fast pace of practice.

Eventually.

Not necessarily today.

I'm with you Swingman. Don't let the tampers smash out your enthusiasm.

It's borderline hilarious to see fans pointing out how bad they think we'll be (and using Athlons as evidence). The absurdity of these arguments has finally manifested in all it's glory.

Yes i stopped reading Athlon's years ago. Pretty much a praise the helmet schools(without any analysis), and "rank" the cheerleaders publication.

RB could be best in ten years

LB could be best in ten years

K and P could be best in ten years...dedicated ST coach has nice track record Agree, kicker and punter return and should be better

TE should be better...returns all with experience, hopefully Lingen back healthy, takes a redshirt off a guy who looked good in Spring, adds a bunch of good recruits...TE coach was named coach of year by coach scoop Lingen has been injured for a while and the redshirt hasn't ever played. It's great to be hopeful, but redshirts haven't played.

DT should be better...returns Richardson (will be pre-season AllBig), a very solid senior in Stelter, a senior in Merrick who new S and C staff should do wonders for, a 4th year junior in Gary Moore who looked good in Spring...adds an AllAmerican juco, adds a bunch of good freshmen recruits, adds a juco walk-on...gets a fresh coach who has proven success at Northern Iowa...sounds like Fleck was reaching Merrick Jackson as a motivator Moore has barely played. We lost a 3 year starter in Ekpe, but we should still be as good as last year with Richardson, Stelter and Jackson returning. Weep for 2018...

OL should be better...returns 7 of 10 from two deep...including four who started...adds best coach in country...takes redshirts off two, including one who may start at center...adds a juco...adds three good frosh (one among highest rated recruits ever at MN)We lost our best 2 lineman. And the redshirts haven't played. Maybe they come in and play great. Maybe they still aren't ready. It's really a crapshoot and that's the argument I'm making about saying "we should be better because this redshirt will be playing..."

WR should be better...returns 7 of 8 from two deep...returns two most talented athletes in Still and Johnson...takes redshirts off three good ones in Howard, Hmielewski and Williams...adds three good recruits in Autman-Bell, VanDyne, Douglas...HC and WR coach and OC have great track record with WRs... See above

S could be better...returns 4 of top 5 from last year...adds two of highest regarded recruits Gophs have had at position...Winfield could be AllBig Ten type....gets RS off MAC transfer DipreWe replace Travis and Winfield with Winfield and Ayinde. I wouldn't call that better.

DE is a concern with Ekpe and Elmore gone...DeLatti looks good; love what staff did in going with a modified 3-4 and using Coughlin, Devers, Martin as rush ends...could need immediate help from someone like Otomewo or Mafe. DE is a huge question mark.

QB is concerning, but could be better...many would say couldn't be much worse...new OC/QB coach has great track record...two guys who have seen a lot of back-up reps, a guy who was highly recruited, and staff's own recruit who came in early gives them some good raw material to work with I'm not overly concerned with losing Mitch, but I like to rip on the posters that say "we'll definitely be better at QB."

CB losing Hardin, Myrick, Buford is concerning...need big steps up from Shenault, Craighton; need immediate help from 2nd year guys Durr (injury may delay) and Kiondre Thomas and frosh recruit
huge losses at CB will be difficult to overcome.

What do you think JG? Is six wins this coming season optimistic?

My guess is 7-8 wins this season. 6 wouldn't surprise me. My continued angst is towards those who say Fleck should be building off Claeys 9 win season and that 9-10 wins should be expected...

My guess is 7-8 wins this season. 6 wouldn't surprise me. My continued angst is towards those who say Fleck should be building off Claeys 9 win season and that 9-10 wins should be expected...

I tend to have more angst toward those that disagree with me than those that agree with me as well.

Huff and McGhee might be your starting safeties....both looked good in Spring...Fleck could not say enough good things about Huff...Fleck confident enough in his safeties he says Winfield may end up playing more of a hybrid corner/safety/lb position.

When was last time Gophers landed a four star safety with offers like HandyHolly (FL, GaTech, NCSU, Vandy, IL, KY, Louisville, MS, MsSU, Ames)? verified 4.45 speed, 6'2 and 200 plus already; played against very high level competition in Alabama. Sawvel tried to flip him to Wake.

When was last time Gophers landed a player who was committed to Texas Tech and before that Houston (with offers from CO, MsSU, Baylor, KS, Ames)? Beck comes in with very legit size and speed having competed at a very high level in Texas.

The bump from recruiting isn't in the future, it is on campus now. Ayinde could be experienced 5th year vet providing three-deep depth.

Very excited about our safety unit.

Shenault and Craighton are solid and experienced enough, especially if Smith/Linquist don't require as much on an island, press coverage as past system.

I think we may be pleasantly surprised by rrs frosh Kiondre Thomas, who drew high praise from Sawvel...tested as fastest guy on team this Spring and has more length than Myrick and Hardin...

Durr supposedly is on pace to be ready this season; he more than held his own as a raw true frosh vs one of the nation's best passing attacks in bowl game.

Frosh recruit Justus Harris played cover corner against some high end rcvrs. We flipped him from Cinci and he listed offers to Rutgers, Vandy, CSU, MTSU along with a bunch of MAC and Ivy schools. A lot of years, that offer sheet is as good as we sign, especially as a db.

Expect the coaches to be creative with Winfield and maybe Beck to help at corner position.

Handy-Holly and Beck haven't stepped foot on a college campus yet. They are both really nice recruits, but if you're expecting them to contribute meaningful minutes this year you'll probably be disappointed.

Of if they do have to contribute a great deal. They're either insanely promising.... or we're in serious trouble.

Huff and McGhee might be your starting safeties....both looked good in Spring...Fleck could not say enough good things about Huff...Fleck confident enough in his safeties he says Winfield may end up playing more of a hybrid corner/safety/lb position.

When was last time Gophers landed a four star safety with offers like HandyHolly (FL, GaTech, NCSU, Vandy, IL, KY, Louisville, MS, MsSU, Ames)? verified 4.45 speed, 6'2 and 200 plus already; played against very high level competition in Alabama. Sawvel tried to flip him to Wake.

When was last time Gophers landed a player who was committed to Texas Tech and before that Houston (with offers from CO, MsSU, Baylor, KS, Ames)? Beck comes in with very legit size and speed having competed at a very high level in Texas.

The bump from recruiting isn't in the future, it is on campus now. Ayinde could be experienced 5th year vet providing three-deep depth.

Very excited about our safety unit.

I like our safeties quite a bit and think we'll be fine. But we lost our best one from last year so it's a stretch to think we will be better. We're probably deeper, but I don't know if the 2 guys who are on the field will be better than Travis and Winfield were last year. Travis was like an extra LB and helped a lot with run defense.

Handy-Holly and Beck haven't stepped foot on a college campus yet. They are both really nice recruits, but if you're expecting them to contribute meaningful minutes this year you'll probably be disappointed.

Of if they do have to contribute a great deal. They're either insanely promising.... or we're in serious trouble.

Top Bottom