Coach Fleck: "People compare me to someone I've never met."

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Subtle message about unfortunate and trite Brewster comparisons.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

With due respect to coach Fleck, it doesn't matter whether you know him. The important thing is that we do.

It might not just be Bewster... could be just anyone people make up in their head based on tweets, speeches, etc.

I'd say that's an inaccurate comparison...Personality wise he's similar, coaching wise Brewster has a lot catching-up to do.

So what? What coach/player isn't compared to a former coach/player. What does he hope to gain by complaining about it? PJF is 10x the coach that Brewster was. Win and no one will compare them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So what? What coach/player isn't compared to a former coach/player. What does he hope to gain by complaining about it? PJF is 10x the coach that Brewster was. Win and no one will compare them.

Yeah it'd be like if someone compared Tracy Claeys to Mark Mangino. What's the big deal?

Seems to me his personality is closer to Wacker than Brewster.

Seems to me his personality is closer to Wacker than Brewster.

Don't personally favor the comparisons to Brewster but can understand them. Wacker though? Sunny Jim? Mr. Geezo Bezzo himself? Nope, don't get that at all, but doesn't mean they aren't there.

Yeah it'd be like if someone compared Tracy Claeys to Mark Mangino. What's the big deal?

Exactly. Claeys and Mangino were the first coaches at their respective schools to win at least 9 games after Glen Mason won 10.

There's really only a small handful of coaching personality archetypes. We've seen most of them come through here at one time or another - player's coach, salesman/recruiter, disciplinarian, tactical/schematic "genius".

Practically any coach who takes a job will have a predecessor who shared some traits that longer-term fans compare them to.

Seems like were in a negative stage here. I get it, I don't think I'll come back to this thread again. I'm not going to get into another thread hashing over the same crap.

Seems like were in a negative stage here. I get it, I don't think I'll come back to this thread again. I'm not going to get into another thread hashing over the same crap.

Obvious question...why bother posting in the first place?

There are different opinions on everything in life. Some you will agree with - some you won't. Some will be positive - some will be negative. Some will upset you - some will make you happy (or joyous, if you prefer). If you don't like that then a message board may not be the place for you. Having the mods remove threads because they are too negative really isn't the answer either.

Totally. I would expect both coaches to have thicker skin than to let it bother them.

Don't personally favor the comparisons to Brewster but can understand them. Wacker though? Sunny Jim? Mr. Geezo Bezzo himself? Nope, don't get that at all, but doesn't mean they aren't there.

Both pretty flaky but sincere. Not afraid to be different. They both succeeded by being who they are (different).

I think Brewster tried hard but was a caricature. I think both Fleck and Wacker would be flakes in other fields. Brewster not so much.

Both pretty flaky but sincere. Not afraid to be different. They both succeeded by being who they are (different).

I think Brewster tried hard but was a caricature. I think both Fleck and Wacker would be flakes in other fields. Brewster not so much.

Thanks and okay, I get that. Still think that Wacker and Fleck are worlds apart in how the view players but understand your point.

There are different opinions on everything in life. Some you will agree with - some you won't. Some will be positive - some will be negative. Some will upset you - some will make you happy (or joyous, if you prefer). If you don't like that then a message board may not be the place for you. Having the mods remove threads because they are too negative really isn't the answer either.

I'm sure the mods are tired of having to baby sit quite often. I agree with you though that there will be some threads I don't care for and I simply need to avoid those as they don't make any sense at all in addition to the fact that they don't benefit the program.

Here's a thought, quit with the hear say and conjecture. The coach is on a road trip. If you work, take a day off and go meet him and look him the eye. He's going to be in Hibbing on Wednesday. I plan on driving down from Ely. I hope if any of you are in the area, you will join me and see for yourself.

Here's a thought, quit with the hear say and conjecture. The coach is on a road trip. If you work, take a day off and go meet him and look him the eye. He's going to be in Hibbing on Wednesday. I plan on driving down from Ely. I hope if any of you are in the area, you will join me and see for yourself.
Let us know how UMNs own "Tony Robbins" is greeted by the miners on the Range. Perhaps Kevin McHale will drive over from Side Lake to ask him some questions. [emoji41]

Let us know how UMNs own "Tony Robbins" is greeted by the miners on the Range. Perhaps Kevin McHale will drive over from Side Lake to ask him some questions. [emoji41]

I believe Kevin, or one of his kids has a cabin on White Iron in Ely.....

Exactly. Claeys and Mangino were the first coaches at their respective schools to win at least 9 games after Glen Mason won 10.

And both had some sort of player scandal when they left.

When you use the same used-car salesman shtick as the other guy, he's going to get compared to him. He would do well to either get used to it or blow it off.

There isn't a big deal with this comparison.

If you're making it in terms of coaching style. . . it's an odd comparison.
If you're making it in terms of personality. . . you're a dolt.
If you're making it in terms of employment status, connection to Kansas, unique dismissals. . .I could see that.
If you're comparing coaches by similar body types. . .that's bizarre.

But either way, not a big deal.

Couldn't disagree more. I'll leave Wacker out of the convo because I don't know much about him. But Fleck is tailor-made for any job in America. Brewster is a fraud and shouldn't get a job anywhere...outside of maybe a southern oil company or Trump's administration.

Top Bottom