Gopher Football Position Preview: Wide Receivers

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
By: Daniel House

Heading into the 2017 season, when Gopher football fans think of the wide receiver position, the first two words that pop into their minds are potential and inexperience.

The Gophers have 14 wide receivers on their roster, but only four of them notched a reception last year. The Gophers top four returning receivers combined to catch 42 passes for 621 yards and one touchdown in 2017. It means just 34% of last year’s total receiving yards will be returning.

However, there is still enough talent at this position to overcome the losses within the group. More importantly, the level of instruction as this position significantly improved. Wide receivers coach Matt Simon has consistently produced wide receiver talent, including top-5 2017 NFL Draft pick, Corey Davis. One could already see the growth the players made in spring ball after working with Simon for a few weeks. Not to mention, head coach P.J. Fleck played wide receiver at the collegiate and pro levels, which provides another level of expertise in the room. There is a significant amount of raw talent at this position and it can be developed with more instruction and attention to detail.

Rashad Still

Junior Rashad Still is the one player everyone wants to see take the next step under this new coaching. Still has all of the tools to be a dominant threat through the air. His 6’5” frame and athletic prototype are still extremely raw. There are so many inconsistencies in Still’s game. He has trouble tracking the ball and has concentration drops. Still needs work as an overall route runner too and must become crisper out of his breaks. He has a tendency to round off his routes, allowing defensive backs to easily shadow him. However, I saw growth in all of these areas during spring ball. It all comes down to being more consistent.

If Still can develop a tough mentality, his performance will elevate to the next level. He lacks aggression and it leads to him losing contested catch battles. He had just 18 catches for 349 yards last season. The Gophers had trouble developing a consistent passing game and Still wasn’t able to get separation enough. I have seen his mentality and fundamentals improve, but now it’s all about doing it consistently.

Tyler Johnson

Sophomore Tyler Johnson is the player I’m most excited to see in this new offensive system. The coaches need to do whatever they can to get the ball into Johnson’s hands in space. He can be such a threat when he’s lined up in the slot. In fact, I think we may see him lined up outside in a few formations. Johnson has fantastic footwork and his route running has really taken a nice step under the instruction of wide receiver coach Matt Simon. Johnson has a really high ceiling and I see some Stefon Diggs in his skill-set. Johnson’s continuing to become sharper out of his breaks and had a sweet head fake he used occasionally during spring ball. I can see Johnson being one of the break-out players on the team this year. Everyone wants to see Johnson haul in more than 14 passes in 2017.

Eric Carter

After putting together a respectable 2015 campaign, senior Eric Carter battled injuries last season. Carter caught 23 passes for 255 yards and one touchdown in 2015 and emerged as an intermediate threat. He showed he is very talented at making adjustments in traffic, while maintaining body control. He has good hands and an ability to make plays after the catch. He won’t blow teams away with his vertical separation, but he fits well in a system that loves to attack with intermediate passing. Carter must stay healthy and continue to improve his route running. If he can do this, he'll see significant playing time. He is a strong leader who will keep the group together and on the right path.

Melvin Holland Jr.

Redshirt junior Melvin Holland Jr. is a player who never could crack the starting lineup with the previous coaching staff. However, I really see him being a valuable piece in this offense. He can get open by running routes well and his hands have drastically improved. He comes out of his breaks sharp and his footwork has drastically improved. I think Holland Jr. is finally getting some of the raw aspects of his game coached to the next level. Now, I want to see him start playing more confidently. I like him as a goal line target because of his 6’3” frame and ability to win contested catch battles. He also is a player who can stretch the field with his skill-set. He was awarded limited playing time over his first two years, but should see more time if he can continue to improve throughout the fall.

Drew Hmielewski

Drew Hmielewski is another very intriguing player at the wide receiver position. He is a dual-sport athlete at the U, playing both football and baseball. His overall technique has improved, including his ball tracking. He had tendency to struggle hauling in passes that required him to adjust or shift his body to make the grab. He now has his hands and eyes in sync when the ball is thrown. He now tracks the ball into his frame and secures passes thrown over his shoulder. He still is very rough around the edges as a route runner, but he has upside as an athlete.

Clay Geary

If you are a Gopher football fan, this is a name you may want to get familiar with. Wide receiver Clay Geary is a sneaky player who runs smooth routes and gets open consistently. I would like to see him develop more consistent hands, but he can be effective out of the slot. He doesn’t have much size, but he does all the little things right as a player. Geary is a player that needs some polishing, but has the chance to be a consistent contributor moving forward.

Matt Morse

Redshirt sophomore Matt Morse is a player that has worked very hard to continue improving his game. He was a quarterback at Apple Valley and made the transition to wide receiver for the Gophers. Morse has evolved as a route runner and has shown an ability to get open consistently. He reads coverages well and settles into soft spots of the zone. The most impressive aspect of his game is his hands. He continually made tough one-handed grabs in spring ball and is particularly sound when breaking off at the top of his route stems. He is a very detail oriented player in everything he does. It is clear to see Morse’s passion and I’m curious to witness how he continues to improve under the instruction of Matt Simon.

Brock Annexstad

Freshman Brock Annexstad has the chance to develop into a solid receiver. He has a nice frame and can adjust well in traffic to win contested catch battles. I’m particularly curious to see how he stacks up when defensive backs get more physical with him at the line of scrimmage. He has a tendency to shy away from contact and it inhibits his ability to get consistent separation. I needs to play with more physicality moving forward. He also has NFL bloodlines, as his dad, Scott, played for both the Chiefs and Redskins in the NFL.

Chris Autman-Bell

If there is one player I’m most excited about as an incoming freshman, it’s Chris Autman-Bell. Gopher fans are going to love this guy’s approach and mentality to the game. He wins every contested catch battle and plays with so much passion. He has impressive hands, body control, and footwork. I also love his ability to high point balls and bring them into his frame while he is in traffic. Autman-Bell is also ahead of his peers as a route runner. He only played two games due to a hand injury his senior year, which also allowed him to fly under the recruiting radar even more. Teams only had a limited amount of tape on him and it gave the Gophers an opportunity to swoop in and add a special talent.

Harry Van Dyne

If you want to see a true vertical threat, Harry Van Dyne is your guy. He has a 6’5” frame, but has impressive speed to pair with it. His open field burst is something you wouldn’t expect from a player with his frame. He wins with his quick first step and impressive head fake on his double move. The biggest area he needs to grow is as a route runner. He has a tendency to round off and ‘banana curl’ his routes. Van Dyne is still very raw as a player and needs to sharpen up his footwork when he comes out of his breaks. He doesn’t really get to the top of his route and burst with a strong inside plant. However, he has the complete skill-set to be a dominant vertical threat in the future.

Phillip Howard, Will Reger, Isaiah Gentry, and Hunter Register will all serve as depth in the wide receiver room.

Everything I've read about Fleck's offense sounds like it was made for Tyler Johnson. If I was into predictions, I would predict right now that Johnson is the 'breakout' player of the year on offense.

I would agree.
I also think one of Howard, Gentry or Register will emerge into a solid contributor this year and next.

Do we need to have 14 WR's on the roster going forward? I realize that the players brought in by Kill/Claeys didn't all pan out, well most didn't, but 14 guys at that spot seems a little on the high side.

Do we need to have 14 WR's on the roster going forward? I realize that the players brought in by Kill/Claeys didn't all pan out, well most didn't, but 14 guys at that spot seems a little on the high side.
It's actually the same number as last year's team had.

Another good report, Daniel!

Go Gophers!

It's actually the same number as last year's team had.

I know that, was talking more once most or all the kill/cleays guys are gone. 14 for three spots seems like a few too many, especially with having 18 or so OL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know that, was talking more once most or all the kill/cleays guys are gone. 14 for three spots seems like a few too many, especially with having 18 or so OL

It was way too many for the Kill/Limey offense. Will have to see what PJF's offense looks like before deciding, but I agree it seems a bit high on the surface.

Four are walk ons. Ten scholarships listed, eleven if Douglas really does stay at WR ( hope he stays at DB)

I noticed Adam Meyer dropped off at some point. Walk on from CA.

Well PJ has also said that the 18 is too low (I think he's said 20-22 is the goal). Four deep as the low end at each OL position would equate to 12 as the low end if you're talking 3 WRs, so it's really not too far off.

Great write-up.
I have been a Goph fan for a long time, and I have never seen a WR drought like we have had since Brewster got here. Brewster's failure to recruit was largely hidden by Decker, who Mase recruited. But when he left there was a big hole. Some of our best WR skills during this period were from walk-ons transferring up from a lower level program, e.g. Engel. I actually believe JK was looking at athletic skills, e.g. size/speed/strength and physical attributes and not looking at the ability to track and catch the ball. I am not sure tracking a ball is a technical skill that can be taught quickly, it is a combination of talent and catching a few thousand long passes or fly balls in your life growing up.

Great write-up.
I have been a Goph fan for a long time, and I have never seen a WR drought like we have had since Brewster got here. Brewster's failure to recruit was largely hidden by Decker, who Mase recruited. But when he left there was a big hole. Some of our best WR skills during this period were from walk-ons transferring up from a lower level program, e.g. Engel. I actually believe JK was looking at athletic skills, e.g. size/speed/strength and physical attributes and not looking at the ability to track and catch the ball. I am not sure tracking a ball is a technical skill that can be taught quickly, it is a combination of talent and catching a few thousand long passes or fly balls in your life growing up.

Brewster recruited Da'Jon McKnight who I'd take over any of Kill's WRs. McKnight had a huge JR year, and a solid SR year, but didn't take that next step up as a SR in Kill's first year.

Brewster recruited Da'Jon McKnight who I'd take over any of Kill's WRs. McKnight had a huge JR year, and a solid SR year, but didn't take that next step up as a SR in Kill's first year.

Wasn't Da'Jon hurt most of his Sr. Year? I seem to recall watching him almost limp down the field on one play and a LB easily running him down from behind. After that they admitted he was hurt. Maybe I'm imagining all that?

Wasn't Da'Jon hurt most of his Sr. Year? I seem to recall watching him almost limp down the field on one play and a LB easily running him down from behind. After that they admitted he was hurt. Maybe I'm imagining all that?

Nope. I recall that like it was yesterday. I was yelling unhitch the plow at the tv.

First play

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/16lQwLU_mVo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It will be interesting to see what the new staff does with the WR group. I think there is some talent in the ranks, can Fleck bring that out of the group or is it going to be on new recruits he brings in? I think Johnson will have a chance to shine in this offense. I also thought Howard had a chance to be good out of high school based upon his highlights. I guess we will see what the season brings!

It will be interesting to see what the new staff does with the WR group. I think there is some talent in the ranks, can Fleck bring that out of the group or is it going to be on new recruits he brings in? I think Johnson will have a chance to shine in this offense. I also thought Howard had a chance to be good out of high school based upon his highlights. I guess we will see what the season brings!

I think Johnson and Still are the only ones who will stick as strong contributors. Others may get a few catches here or there, but it's mainly those two.

Great write-up.

McKnight, Engel, and Barker were good, walk-ons still count as recruits. Marquise Gray was actually very good when they played him as a WR. I think Brewster did fine recruiting wrs, I mean he only had 3 complete recruiting classes.

I think Johnson and Still are the only ones who will stick as strong contributors. Others may get a few catches here or there, but it's mainly those two.

We have no idea about Howard, Hmielewski or Register. In the first two, they are both redshirt FR, showed great skill in HS and see no reason why they won't be big contributors in the coming 3 or 4 years. With Register, we still really don't know too much about him.
Also believe that the only thing holding back Isaiah Gentry is his ability to stay healthy. That may never change, but he did show some promise in his one productive game. Need to figure out a way to keep him healthy.
Also forgetting about Mark Williams. May take a year to get him to understand how to be a WR, but he could become similar to Tyler in time.

Top Bottom