OSU to hold afternoon press conference with Thad Matta & (AD) Gene Smith

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I imagine he's stepping down due to health reasons. If that's it, it will be a very attractive opening but don't know who they'd attract at this point in the offseason.

I imagine he's stepping down due to health reasons. If that's it, it will be a very attractive opening but don't know who they'd attract at this point in the offseason.

You'd think they would promote from within for a year. Unless they have their sights set on someone in the NBA.

Seems like you'd go with an interim for a season?

Craziest part about it is that he's only 49 years old. Always thought he was much older than that.

Most likely coaching this year then off or done. Terrible blow but he has been so unhealthy for so long. What a tremendous coach. Super levels of winning. To be head coach there is a top 20 job for sure. The irony is that Archie Miller always dreamed of that job since he could not take the NCST job with Yow there.

Wow, Matta is out as of today.

Surprised it was immediate. Obvious now how much pain he is in and it gives his assistant a chance to win the job. Wish Coach Matta the best as he is truly one of the nicest guys out there.

Marshall and Mack are probably right at the top of their list when they decide to get a full-time replacement. Will be very interesting to see who they get.

Things were not headed in the right direction, even though he was still a solid recruiter. Any chance they will use his health as an excuse to push him out the door when in reality it was performance?

His health is so bad he can not put on his own shoe. 3 ELITE 8's, 2 final 4's , 8 conference titles in 17 years of coaching. One losing Big 10 season in 13 years ! Only Knight, Izzo AND Ryan have out performed that conference for excellence. If anyone does that at Minnesota they will not get a statue or a court, they would get a whole arena. Just think of one coach winning 4 Big 10 titles here !

Joke? Tounge in cheek? Tough to know with Pat. Still waiting on the ACC Big Ten challenge schedule to see if the is right about Duke

Clearly tongue in cheek given the timing. Not happening now. Next March, maybe.

Mack and maybe Holtmann seem the only reasonable names on that list.

Miller would be a ridiculous pipe dream were it not for his Ohio connections, but I agree he's not leaving Arizona. Smart is almost certainly no because Texas can match whatever OSU throws at him. I could see any of the rest being legitimately interested.

Man, after reading all these stories about guys really struggling with back surgery (Tiger, Steve Kerr, Thad Matta) it makes me thankful mine turned out with no complications, and makes me cross my fingers, sit up straight and hope against hope that it holds up.

I'm hoping he can get relief...maybe not from the foot drop but at least from the pain. Sincere good luck to him.

Miller would be a ridiculous pipe dream were it not for his Ohio connections, but I agree he's not leaving Arizona. Smart is almost certainly no because Texas can match whatever OSU throws at him. I could see any of the rest being legitimately interested.

Yep, I don't know why the head coaches for Arizona and Texas would be on anyone's list. Lateral move at best if not a downgrade.

His health is so bad he can not put on his own shoe. 3 ELITE 8's, 2 final 4's , 8 conference titles in 17 years of coaching. One losing Big 10 season in 13 years ! Only Knight, Izzo AND Ryan have out performed that conference for excellence. If anyone does that at Minnesota they will not get a statue or a court, they would get a whole arena. Just think of one coach winning 4 Big 10 titles here !

Looks like he was canned due to performance (which health is part of), but he is not stepping down due to his choice

Why not Cronin Cincy has been relegated to a glorified mid major. May want back in the big time

Suppose it's always possible. He just has a really good stretch of success going at Cincy now, and grew up in Cincy. Call it a gut vibe, I guess.

Suppose it's always possible. He just has a really good stretch of success going at Cincy now, and grew up in Cincy. Call it a gut vibe, I guess.

Didn't know he was from Cincinnati. I agree he has had a lot of success there. As for Matta still really young. Maybe a year or two off to get healthy will do wonders. Hopefully he comes back outside of the Big Ten

Between Mack, Cronin and Smart, not a follicle between them.

Top Bottom